This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e-mail help, what am i doing wrong

I have searched but stopped because I am still angry, and hotmail has expanded their stuff to a point any help has to really be found

I shut down an old account because it was still being hacked. did a virus scan and such and so far nothing, worried about having a keylogging virus.
    anywho I went through what i thought was shut down of my hotmail account. encountered that they cannot close it because of my windows live account? (is that msn messenger or whatever the hell they call it now) and go to close that thus shutting it down or deactivating it. Problem solved? Apparently not because you can sign back in and have it activated again and everything is still there. GDIT

SO this time I changed the password and emptied EVERYTHING out contacts emails everything. so if they get back into it, its all empty. The reason I say this is because i got another spam email again. Yes yes i know. should have cleaned it out the first time and I didn't. All my friends and contacts know that when they get spam from me tell me and ignore/delete it. well apparently not.

main point Did i shut my hotmail down properly? and if not who the hell do I get ahold of to have that name terminated due to hackers

(Apparently one or two of my friends thinking it was me, read the email and everything and OPENED the link.) I type and speak a certain way to the point that I don't capitalize my "I"s except on here and one other place. So I have a distinct typing style when on the computer. I would like to prevent this again and have already laid into the people that got a virus from this)

I'd call Hotmail support. See what they say.

Found contact info for them at:

http://contacthelp.com/directory/Int...?ListingID=287
    Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

thank you~! this was what i was trying to find, someone to contact somehow
      However I don't have hotmail plus, just the free version

Comment

They said they wouldn't help ya since you had the free version?
        Odd.

Comment

I hope I read that correctly (I'm at work).

Quite honestly, it doesn't matter whether you've emptied your contacts and email or not. Someone out there has your email address. They are emailing you. And hotmail stopped allowing you to easily block junk mail a few years ago. You're getting junk mail because someone out there is sending it to you. The only real defense is to create a new email.
          Last edited by Moirae; 09-12-2011, 08:49 PM.

Comment

This is why I no longer use Hotmail. Also because I once created a new Hotmail account for some reason, but never gave out the email, never used it for anything. Lo and behold, I started getting spam, which means that MSN sold the address itself, which annoyed me.

Comment

Well, I wish you much luck in nuking Hotmail.

In the meantime, you might want to get an email account from someplace a little less hack-prone, and let all your friends know that you don't use Hotmail anymore and to block/filter to trash any emails that come from there.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Kaylyn View Post
                This is why I no longer use Hotmail. Also because I once created a new Hotmail account for some reason, but never gave out the email, never used it for anything. Lo and behold, I started getting spam, which means that MSN sold the address itself, which annoyed me.
                I really doubt they sold your email address. A lot of spammers use brute force methods to find good email addresses. They basically try thousands of combinations followed by @emailhost.wot, and keep track of what doesn't bounce back. The spammers use an automated script to do this, and can fire off thousands of emails per minute. Then they'll sell off the list of known active email addresses to other spammers. Unless you bounce every email you ever get, your account will eventually get spam.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

note that they just have to have your email address. They are not sending it from hotmail, they are using their own email servers, and making it look as if they are sending it from you.

Apart from abandoning the address, and advising everyone to immediately delete, unread, any email from that address, there's nothing you can do, sorry

Comment

Quoth Blade_Raver View Post
                    They said they wouldn't help ya since you had the free version?
                    Odd.
                    Have not had a chance to call, got hit with whatever it is going around, sinus issue or something cold like. and until now was in bed most of the time.

I thought because I have the free version and the page link seemed to point towards hotmail plus that i might not be helped, plus all the negative comments about how they didn't help others. however as soon as it is normal operational hours for them I will call. (IE 9-5 my time)

ALSO I already have a new email. cleaned out the old one and all my contacts and changed the password before shutting it down or at least what i thought was shutting it down

Comment

Found this too. Hope it helps!

http://email.about.com/od/windowsliv...il_Account.htm

Comment

thank you for the help
                        been sick for...a week now? don't know. feels like all month

Comment

You're more than welcome

Get well soon!

Comment

Working...
                          X