This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a new, basic computer

I reckon I need a new desktop computer for my summer cottage (the current one is from somewhere around 2005, runs on XP Home, and is already living on borrowed time). I could probably upgrade it a bit, to get it to run better, but just how much can you do with an old computer like that? I might just wind up putting the cost of a new, cheap computer into said upgrades...

I've been looking at basic office computers, since all I need while in the countryside is internet access and maybe a bit of word processing, and this one appears to be exactly what I'm looking for.

However, I really don't want to buy something with what my Dad would call a "goodbye-warranty", where the warranty expires the minute your car leaves the car park, or something that's going to drop dead the minute the warranty runs out.

Does anybody have experience with Fujitsu? Is it a money-sink in pretty clothing? Or should I be looking at something else?

Thanks in advance!
    lukija

It looks workable, although some of the build choices used are a bit puzzling. I wonder if this is an old model, given the lack of RAM fitted. I don't immediately find the same model on VK either - they seem to carry only the Intel based models. (Yes, I'm in Finland too.)

Fujitsu are an established computer manufacturer, and Japanese rather than Chinese so they have an actual reputation to keep. However, I don't see any price so I can't judge whether it's good value.

This is the cheapest full computer on VK: http://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/produ...D-RW-Windows-7

Alternatively, you could have a nettop: http://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/produ...Windows-7-Home

It may also be possible to build a new computer more cheaply using some components from your old one. In particular the case and some other components can easily be reused. But I would need to know more precisely what is wrong with the old one before I can speculate further.

Comment

I would pass on that one. With only 1GB memory Windows 7 is going to be slow slow slow. I would look for something with 4GB of DDR3 memory and one of the newer AMD processors if you are going with that brand.

I don't think I have ever seen a Fujitsu computer but they used to make some very good printers.

Comment

Agreed -- 1 GB is positively anemic these days, and while I agree that DDR3 would be best, the board only supports DDR2. The only reason it comes with so little is so that they can sell you extra RAM at an absurdly inflated rate. Get 4 GB total (the limit) if you can (3 GB if Windows is NOT 64-bit). Note, also, that the video card is integrated, and uses Shared Memory -- thus, you will need more just to account for that.

Everything else looks fine for a US$200-300 system (yes, I noticed that you are in Finland ), but note the lack of a monitor.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
        X