This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manually Re-Install Windows Firewall in Win7

My roommates clicked on something they shouldn't have and infected their system with one of the PITA fake virus cleaners a few weeks ago. I was able to get the virus completely removed, as far as I can tell, but it's almost completely unable to connect to the Internet.

The system can ping out to sites like yahoo and google, but any attempts at actual http traffic fails. it won't open a web site and fails to connect to the Windows Update, or any other updater for that matter. I figured it was firewall related and that's when I came across the current issue. The Windows Firewall is active, in a custom setting, but any attempts to change or disable it result in an error. To make matters worse, the service is removed from the list and the mspsvc.exe and mspsvc.dll files seem to have been deleted from the system.

All that I've been able to find on-line is to repair the installation with the original disc. My roommates don't have it. Their system (a Lenovo) didn't come with one and there doesn't seem to be a restore partition on the drive. I don't have a copy of Win7 on disc, but have access to other systems with 7 installed.

Has anyone tried a manual re-install of the app and services?

Thanks!
    Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

I looked up "mspsvc.exe " and "deleted" and the first hit showed that it was a virus file and should be removed, so the fact that you don't see it is good news.

I would contact Lenovo and see if they can send you a restore disc. I had a similar problem with my wife's dell when I messed around with it. The live tech said I'd have to pay for a restore CD, but looking around online I saw that I was able to get a free one since one had not been requested before. Hopefully Lenovo can do the same for ya. Have you also tried booting in safe mode? I'm more of a Mac guy, so I don't know how well my reply will help.

Comment

One thing to check, especially if this started after a virus infestation, is if it set your computer to look for a proxy server.

To check, Open Internet properties from your Control Panel, or the tools menu on IE.

Check the tabs for a button the says "LAN Settings" Its on the Connections tab on XP.

Hit the LAN Settings button, and look for the Proxy Server area of the new window. Look for a check box next to: Use a proxy server for your LAN. For most people, this should be unchecked. If it is checked, try unchecking it, hitting OK, and then OK back at the Internet Properties window.

That may fix the issue.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Proxies are clear. That was one of the first things I checked.

mpssvc.exe is the executable file for the Windows firewall service. It should be in your system32 folder (I believe) but you shouldn't ever see it running in your task manager. If you do, that may be an infected file.

What I have going on here is a system that won't transmit data over http through normal means. As in, I can't open up any web browser and browse the web. I'm assuming that it is however set to transmit data to whatever servers the virus had opened the backdoor to. Everything points to a Firewall issue.

The Windows Firewall is Enabled and it's FUBAR'd so I cannot disable it, edit it, or even stop the service itself. It gives me error 0x8007042c when I try. I followed This Microsoft KB and that's where I found out about mpssvc. When that failed, I did more research and that's where I was coming to posts saying that the only thing that can be done was to run an OS Repair.

As an update... My roommates went out and bought another computer before further consulting me. If I knew they were going to be spending money, I would've had them just buy a copy of the OS.

Meanwhile, I still have this machine to try and fix for them. My stubbornness refuses to nuke it and put something else on it. I will fix it, damn it!

CH

Comment

Alright, I did find this link which is a link to a Microsoft site that is supposed to diagnose and repair Firewall issues, so that might be useful.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
            Alright, I did find this link which is a link to a Microsoft site that is supposed to diagnose and repair Firewall issues, so that might be useful.
            I don't remember finding that. I'll download it and run it on the other system. Thanks!

Comment

Quoth crashhelmet View Post
              I don't remember finding that. I'll download it and run it on the other system. Thanks!
              Just let me know if it does the job. If so, I'll archive it in my "If you can't shoot `em, beat `em" list for cleaning and recovering from viruses.
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
              X