X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my PC has gone mad

I am pretty sure this is not a virus

computer: purchased Aug 2011
    HP 1010 with a I5-2390T intel Core rpocessor (quad I think)
    8 G memory
    1T HD
    Win 7 64 bit Home premimum OS
    AMD Radeon HD 6450 graphics adapter with ATI drivers date 11/23/2010 version 8.784.1.0 (a little out of date maybe???)
    HP 2311 wide LCD monitor

36 hours ago this occured and has occured when

1.had several IE windows open
    one surfing the net (regular web sites I go to)
    one with YouTube open and playing a video in the background (was not really watching it at the time just waiting for it to fully load)
    2. watching an mp4 video file (known and good as far as I know) with Nero 10 Kwik Media player (Nero is up to date as far as I know) full screen

First TheNnero player stopped working and Nero or Windows attempted to restart. restart failed aned the program closed

Next IE seemed to crash or stop running. Windows closed and attempted to fix/restart. restart successful and asked if I wanted to restore the previous session. Yes. sessions restored except the YouTube session now only displayed a green screen where the normal video would be displayed. sound came on but then
    my screen blinked and my system BSOD'd

I did not get all of the addresses and hex things but the error indicated the error was associated with the file ATIKMPAG.SYS (a video system paging file???)
    0x00000116 atikmpag.sys

I literally had to do a hard boot (pulling the plug out of the machine) to my PC to get it to restart.

now strange things are happening such as:
    1. my auto-logon to some websites such as CS and Fratching got killed. I have to manually re-login after each BSOD. after I re-login to the sites the auto login works properly.

2. I can play youtube videos intermitantly then my system BSOD's again with the same error and file.

any suggestions or can someone point me in a direction?? most of the stuff I found online is WAY over my head and is mostly geared to game settings. I have not installed any new hardware or new programs in a while.

I did have a Windows update with a restart maybe 3 days ago. I have not tried to go back to a restore point yet and have not downloaded the newest drivers yet either.

some suggestions go in the direction of disabling hardware acceleration in Flash.

This seems to have come out of the blue.
    Last edited by Racket_Man; 01-28-2012, 08:09 AM.
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

The problem may also be that you're using Internet Explorer. Use either Firefox or Chrome .

Try doing the system restore first.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Video driver problem. I'd recommend uninstalling and reinstalling (and might as well update) the drivers.

Comment

Forgive me if this is a silly question, I'm not a computer tech expert and can't tell from the info you provided, but do you actually have a graphics card separate from your motherboard? If you do, you might want to take an actual literal look at it, and verify that the cooling fan(s) on the card itself are still working. Your problem sounds very similar to what started happening with my previous comp when my graphics card died on me.
        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I'd follow both Shadow and Kittish's suggestions.

(Instinctively speaking, Kittish would make a pretty good tech.)

1) Re-install the updated drivers. If that doesn't do it, then...

2) Check the card/mobo for signs of bad capacitors (Google "capacitor plague"), bad soldering of the BGA (Google "ATI reballing"), and check the power supply for proper voltages on each of the rails (also may be bad caps in there). In other words, a hardware problem.

3) How sure are you that it's not an exploit of IE, Java, Javascript, Adobe PDF/Flash, MS .NET, or any one of a hundred-thousand vulnerabilities? Norton/Symantec and McAfee are considered bloated and ineffectual (crap!) by most of us in the field, and we prefer to see Avira, AVG, Avast, or even MS Security Essentials. Also, run MBAM to check for malware.

4) Lastly, I'd get a copy of Memtest86 to make sure it's not failing RAM - I've seen that cause similar problems. Come to think of it, I think ATI had a utlity to check the GPU RAM.?.?.?

Ah! It's MemtestCL! Not ATI, but the F@H guys are really good programmers.

barcode

Oh, the login info are just cookies that are set/cleared by the browser. If the machine locks up before it gets a chance to write it out to the disk (called "flushing the cache"), then you won't have the cookie there when you go to login. Normal functioning - nothing wrong there.

Comment

thanks for the help and info guys. I thought I had updated some of the vital drivers after I bought this PC back in Aug. Well I guess not.

from what I can gather online the driver(s) seem to be most of the problem BUT I will run the graphics memory test suggested by Barcode and crack open the case to check the board itself. HP also suggests updating the BIOS and I am considering doing that soon now.

one of the other things I found was to get into Flash player and disable the haredware acceleration.

The funny thing is is I have had IE crap out before but never lost my auto logon stuff until now.
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Flash has a habit of not playing too nicely lately. I had the Nvidia version of the issue...the watchdog.sys BSOD. Thankfully, the last driver fixed mine...crossing fingers you're as fortunate.
              "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
              - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Ok, now that the card is verified and drivers are also...make restore point!
                You may be able to extract the passwords..I'm not sure. Try this.
                http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-vi...et-explorer-9/
                In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Why are you still using IE? Get firefox or Chrome dammit, they're both free and MUUUUCH more efficient
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                    Why are you still using IE? Get firefox or Chrome dammit, they're both free and MUUUUCH more efficient
                    Can we stay away from religious debates?
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                    X