This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think I can fix this

So I'll post more on the issue when I work on the computer. I am just pissed my mother assumes I can fix her computer. I can't. It's too much. Every month, probably week, she has a new virus. I've asked her what sites she goes to and she claims she doesn't go to any questionable sites. I go to questionable sites and I get one virus a year. My friend thinks she may be clicking on Facebook ads and I think she may be getting them from Facebook apps. She plays them a lot.

I hate to tell her that I don't know computer software like I did back in high school. Six years is a long time to be out of the game. She thinks I can fix it in an hour. I can't. It'll take me about four to research, download, install, and edit to get her computer back. Maybe longer.

Right now, she has no desktop icons and no start menu icons in the menu. She's had this one before and I think I need to change some registry lines but I don't remember. I hate doing it because I may fuck it up or make it worse.

If only you could invoke the HRFO utility.

(Halt, Re-Format Operator)
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I too have had a similar issue of repeating viruses on my mom's computer until I just got fed up and told her to ONLY use the programs that I put on there (Firefox or Chrome instead of IE, for example), and that if she deterred from this or her computer was infected again, that I wouldn't fix it.

Comment

Cant you make her a really restricted user? Her own specific user account, use security policies and create a rollback spot right after you've created and tied down her stuff.
        have the puter make loud sounds if she hits the wrong key.
        In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
        She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

I think she only uses Firefox for her browser. The issue is that she doesn't always update it or she doesn't update Windows. I'm also going to have a realistic talk that maybe half her problems is the games she plays on Facebook. It's the only thing I can think of since she claims she doesn't go to any other sites really.

Comment

I know its not your computer, but IMO there always comes that point in fixing issues where formatting and reinstalling windows is faster and less painful than trying to actually correct the issue. Not to mention it more or less guarantees you got rid of whatever problem caused the issue.

Comment

Have you thought about a reformat and maybe installing Linux on it? It would look strange ot her, but if she isn't using any Windows only programs, it may help.

Recently, my laptop started acting up, so I formatted it and put Linux on it (Ubuntu), and for my basic needs on said laptop, I've found it really usable.

Otherwise, as others suggested, encourage her to use Chrome or Firefox; maybe install and teach her how to use Adblock to cut down on the risks a bit, and set her up as a more restricted user than Administrator.

Comment

Before you do anything, maybe a look in the browser history could show if she's been visiting anywhere other than Facebook. Maybe she could have been clicking on ads & not realising they take her away from there?
                Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

Actually, it could be just being on Facebook itself. With its popularity, virus and data-collector writers use all kinds of ways to spread them through Facebook. Keep a special eye on the ads, particularly. Every once in a while a bad one slips past the folks who vette the ads for FB.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

If she's got the right hardware, and you like to tinker, there are ways to get Mac OSX on PC hardware which is a lot safer of an operating system (but no operating system protects the user against stupid mistakes). Linux is the cheaper and faster option though.

I like the idea of a restricted account too, almost as if it's used for a child. I was going to suggest putting your own password on there, but that would require you stopping over to put in your password whenever she wants another game installed.

My mother-in-law's laptop with Vista seems to have issues here and there, and I've had to go over there to fix a few things. I showed her how to use the "install/remove programs" function on there though and haven't had a call in a while.

Comment

If it's running Windows 7 (might work for Vista or XP, but I don't know) try installing Windows Family Safety on here machine. And then use it to restrict what sites she can go to.... you can set it to only let her to access known "safe" sites, or ones that you specifially allowed. Requests, permissions, etc. can all be done remotely by access the Microsoft Family Safety website.......

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...-Family-Safety
                      There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

I hate to suggest this but is it worth checking out her browsing history? If there is a site she thinks is "safe" but isn't and you can spot it then its possible that could sort it out.
                        I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Firefox with adblock is a starter (Chrome has it as well). In firefox there are settings in there in the security tab of the options, that block reported attack and forgery sites, also warns of attempted browser addon install attempts. Make it her default browser, and set it to automatically update. Not able to look at chrome as i don't have it on this machine.

Making an admin account and removing her admin access would slow down the viruses, and allows you a place to try to FRR (fix, recover, reformat).

System restore is your friend. Set it to run daily.

Malwarebytes is a favorite malware remover, never used it as a preventative. Antivirus should auto-update daily if available.

If there is room, and a safe partition, Install a linux, and use google to find and remove the virus that way. If windows doesn't load neither does the virus. If you have a spare 4Gb thumb drive, you can get a version of Ubuntu (not sure of others) that you can install on the thumb drive and do everything i just mentioned without installing it on her computer.

I have never used a registry cleaner so i can't recommend any.

McAfee and AVG have link scanners of some sort and should be able to find the ones that have the crap in them if she is willing to use them.

Never had a good experience with the "Net Nanny" type programs, they either didn't block what was intended or could be gotten around to easily.

If all else fails, call in a pro. It's not cheep for the guys to come out and look at it, but if all the suggestions here don't help it, they would be able to have eyes on glass and are paid to do it. Also, feel free to PM me if you need.

ETA: Checking browser history is could be a double edged blade there. If she is intentionally going to some sites you might find something out about your mom you Really didn't want to know.
                          To ensure it does not happen again, we have changed our slogan to "F%#k you, I'm eating!" ----- Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

Quoth tech_monkey View Post
                            ETA: Checking browser history is could be a double edged blade there. If she is intentionally going to some sites you might find something out about your mom you Really didn't want to know.
                            This was one of the reasons I hated to suggest it... We've been helping Mum clear Dads stuff back and my sister thought that a certain pile of files were his 'manuscripts' from the days when he ran a drama group. No, no, they weren't.... they were also the third set of such files we've found so far.

Luckily I'd suspected and got the 8 year old nephew out of the room first!
                            I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

i'd suggest uninstalling adobe flash from IE. that's a big security risk right there.

I'm on a new mac now and i've decided no flash for me, except on google chrome cos it's pre-enabled. but for my main surfing... no flash

Comment

Working...
                              X