This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Der Cute View Post
    Hey Dalesys, wasn't it a raindance we used to do to get it to boot?
    We got to chase the guy that got the black bean with sickles.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Mem test ran. More than nine hours, as a matter of fact.

NO ERRORS. None. Yay!

I started exploring the CD menu, and I'm not sure exactly what I did, but the screen started filling with text of various colors. Rather than just sit there staring at it, I took a shower.

When I came back, the screen had gone black, so I nudged the mouse - and lo and behold, I had entered the partition manager!

I right-clicked on the C drive, and yes, it gave me the option to change the size. However, I had forgotten your instructions on what to do. Was I supposed to just change the drive size? Was I supposed to take some memory from D? What?

I opted to just leave the program, come here, refresh my memory, and do it later.

If, that is, I can find my way into the program again.

Comment

I've reread the tutorial, and man, it's really written for people who have more technical knowledge than I do at this time. Can someone simplify it for me? If I understand it correctly, I'm meant to create a new partition taking memory from D (in my case), then reallocate that memory to C.

Easier directions much appreciated.

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
          I've reread the tutorial, and man, it's really written for people who have more technical knowledge than I do at this time. Can someone simplify it for me? If I understand it correctly, I'm meant to create a new partition taking memory from D (in my case), then reallocate that memory to C.

Easier directions much appreciated.
          Linky pls? But yes, you're right. ========== --------------- ++++ =c -d +un

to ========== ----- +++++++++
          to =============== ----- ++

Linky to the instructions pls
          In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
          She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

The link is two pages back; someone else posted it. The tutorial does have handy pictures, which helps, but the instructions... whew.

Comment

I'll be out all day, will read later and get back to you. (lol online voicemail ) . PS You're doing great!

Comment

Hey Eireann - I'm currently futzing around with the gPart program, making my own notes and screenshots.
                Sometime in the next 2 days I'll have them up, ok? BUT BACK YOUR SHIT UP. To a separate media. From the drive TO a cloud. From the drive TO a DVD. Ok?
                Oh. The interface with this is pretty good. Right now I'm actually using the UBCD (it's running live in my cd rom) and surfing, reading .pdf and doing the partition stuff.)
                Neato.

Comment

I got. ANOTHER. Hardware malfunction screen today.

No, the iPod wasn't plugged in. I may never charge it on the computer again, frankly. The only thing I can think of is that when I started the computer with the iPod in, and it started to download drivers, the drivers did something. What, I don't know.

As you can see, the computer started normally the next time.

Which do you recommend, backing up my stuff on DVD, or on a cloud?

Comment

I have uninstalled Total Commander, which was recommended several pages ago (I've been reading over the information and advice given here). I have freed more space on C, so it's now in the blue again. I uninstalled Skype, then reinstalled it on D, but it's STILL showing up on C, and I can't get rid of it.

Comment

as for Skype -.. you think it's just the link/folder that's on C? The .exe would be on D.
                      But that doesn't matter at the moment.
                      ANOTHER. Hardware malfunction screen today.
                      That's the most important part. Before we do anything more about fixing shit...it's the data save right now. Since you know this thing isn't behaving very well, it's save your ass data right now.

As for DVD/Cloud stuff - overall depends on the amount of data. A 2nd thought would be the upload speed on your connection, a 3rd would be would the "cloud" have enough room?

Pics, docs, PICS, docs, all the information you want to keep. Contacts? Pictures. Movies. Paperwork. Documents. Music.
                      Start figuring out how much shit you've got. I'm concerned that you've got the 1TB drive, and it's mostly full on the C: partition, dunno what stuff you've got on D.

You can burn to DVD if you want. You can upload to cloud. It's up to you. I've burned my Tax Returns to DVD, because I don't use it except once a year. The Dropbox stuff I have are things I use a bit more often; like documents I want access to. (think a pic of your Mom - use it often but why keep in on the phone/pc)
                      http://www.freewaregenius.com/2012/0...ervices/#links is a webpage I just found, lots more than just one storage spot.
                      I have an invite for you from my Dropbox, do keep in mind that you accepting this ups MY storage. The more you invite out, the more you get. Here: http://db.tt/viKsD6Jw AND read this: https://www.dropbox.com/getspace The more thingies you hook to Dropbox, the more space you get.

Start the data save immediately. Because I remember what you posted upthread, you had a VERY important, low level hardware burp. Anything breaking at that level will totally toast your machine. So it's now data save, THEN we work on the rest of it. Christ. I'm thinking the more we look at that machine the angrier it gets!

Save data. Then we'll look more at the hardware problem. I'm GLAD you ran the RAM test and it came up OK.

Thought: hardware malfunction...how's the airflow in your pc's area? Does it get overheated, maybe? Dunno, it sounds like you use it A LOT and only at reboots it argues.

Use Magical Jellybean and save all those keys on a text file and save that somewhere. But if you don't have the disks to reinstall, you might be SOL. As I said upthread, I wonder if these are pirated things OR he took them from corporate and used a license from the employer. We will deal with that later. SAVE YOUR DATA NAO.

Comment

Dalesys - Barcode - I'm getting worried here.

Comment

Working on getting a Dropbox account now; thanks!

Once I have it, it's Save Data time.

I don't think the computer's getting angrier, actually. I think it's pissed off at me for starting it with the iPod plugged in. The fans work just fine; when I put my hand on the side or the top of the tower, it's cool. The tower isn't located next to a wall or a partition, and nothing has ever been spilled on it. When I was doing the work with the installation of the firewire hardware, then the graphics card, then the other graphics card, it was a little dusty inside, but that's all. Nothing like the horror stories I've heard of, say, MICE nesting inside!

Okay, Dropbox account created, now I am storing.

Comment

Now, my account is almost full. That didn't take long!

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
                              Now, my account is almost full. That didn't take long!
                              Ayup! Now - go through again, fine comb. Even, save some stuff you don't think you'll need. (I have a file from an old HDD that was on another old clunker. I haven't used any data but...I had it when I chucked the clunker)

Fine tooth comb. Again.

Comment

I talked to an acquaintance who knows a lot about IT (as he should; he works in that field) and asked his opinion. He suggested downloading a big service pack, because it might just be a driver that caused the hardware malfunction.

Now. I have a lot of pictures on my computer. I also have all the cards containing all the pictures that were transferred to my computer. If anything happened, I would still have the cards. I also have quite a few movies, which can easily be downloaded again; these are public-domain goodies from archive.org.

I have no contacts in my computer.

Quite a few documents, but most are also downloads of public-domain things.

Anyway, you get the idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X