Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But do you know where those public thingies are located and which ones you've needed/used? Do you want to rack your brain going "where the fuck did I put those things, where did I get them..."
    He's right, I'm sorry I did not think of that; service pack may help. Hadn't even crossed my mind. Back up the data, still. THEN install the service pack - because in case the service pack or SOMETHING makes that puter die, you're covered. No change/installs/fiddling until you're done with your data. Deal?
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

I've already downloaded and installed the latest service pack, as I discovered last night. So, no need to do any of that. There is one component of the service pack that refused to install (and this was some time ago, not recently), and I grew weary looking for ways to make it install.

Yes, I do remember where I got the goodies - Project Gutenberg, for one; archive.org, for another.

I've saved tax documents, all my Kindle books, things I've been writing, etc. DropBox has one-quarter the storage space of my flash drive, so I can use said drive for more storage. Of course, Windows is very important - is there any way to make sure I still have it, should anything go south?

Comment

Another hardware malfunction. My acquaintance suggested doing System Restore to the day before the screwup happened - how do I change the date offered when I use System Restore?

Comment

Dropbox is good because it's web based. Flash drives are good too. Separate medias I've got pics stored on cd's (old shit I haven't organized), here on the machine, Photobucket, DropBox..

System Restore does itself weekly/monthly? when it's defaulted on Windows 7. All it is is a snapshot of your hardware/driver setup. And the installed apps. IIRC data/docs are saved, it's the settings that change.
          Ok. So you look @ System Restore. Your earliest date of known screwup was..July 4? Pick the one highlighted before that. It's a calendar pic with little dates highlighted so you can grab one. Just pick the one before the hardware restart problem happened.
          Give that a shot; drive the pc for a bit and come back and tell us.
          thank GOD the data's saved! Paranoid Cute!

Comment

I wanted to do System Restore. I tried.

But I can only do it as of today. Well, yesterday now, but you get the idea. It won't let me restore to a date before the date chosen for my last restore. It just won't.

I did click around and find a few troubleshooters, which I ran; some "fix-this-shit" software that is a part of Windows. I used it.

Then I sat and stared at something offered on the menu.

Repartition hard drive.

Right there. Part of Windows. Right there.

I haven't saved all my data, but I've saved the most vital things. I was rather surprised to see what I have on the hard drive, which is no longer needed. Too bad it wasn't on C; I could have freed more space by deleting it.

I am, now, starting Windows Backup. I did not know I didn't have it activated. Whoops! Doing it now. On CD.

Yes. The data are being saved.

Comment

The computer froze today; I had to turn it off, then on again. I'm looking for a way to either repair or uninstall whatever drivers were downloaded last week. I have found plenty of complaints online from people who have iPods that are causing their computers to crash whenever they're plugged in.

Comment

So, can anyone provide me with more detailed instructions on repartitioning the hard drive?

By the way, no crashes have occurred recently. I ran some "find and fix errors" program.

Comment

Shit. I had the stuff written out and pics and stuff...and I had to do a reinstall myself!!!! ACK! Lost the data.
                  Shit.

Comment

I was charging my iPod when - guess what! - the computer crashed again. So, from now on, I only charge it from the wall socket. I do want to add music to it, and remove one song that is far too emotional for me now, and I'll be careful when I do.

Other than that, everything is running as normal.

Comment

Anything new on how best to repartition my hard drive? C is getting pretty full.

Comment

Remind me again what exactly you want the repartitioning to be for.
                        And do remember this is one big hardware piece, we are slicing it up. We may give those slices letters/names, but at the end of the day, if the big piece dies, it ALL dies.

Did you want to expand the C: part and shrink your D: ?

Comment

and how much do you want to add? to the C: ? Are we looking at using up alllll the space on the physical drive?

do me a fav and post a new screenshot of your disk management window.

Comment

Instructions Part 1

Ok, after thinking about this, I think I've got it.

You have one physical drive. You want to change "allocation" or amount of space per drive letter. Your C drive is right next to your D drive, with no space between them. After the D drive is where there is space.
                            You want to somehow "move" or take over the space at the ass end of the drive, to give you more room for the C drive.

Do Keep in Mind This Is One Physical Unit.

*cracks knuckles*
                            You have a newer computer which is wonderful.
                            Pop the CD in to the drive.

Restart the computer

Whack F12? or the key to "Select Boot Order" or "Select Boot Drive" or some text like that. (it's a short cut way to tell the machine to TEMPORARILY boot from what you tell it. Our task is one small one, we can do it this way)
                            http://customerssuck.com/board/attac...1&d=1348112494

If it doesn't boot from CD, repeat.

So you get the machine to boot off the CD.

You will come to a very basic, low resolution, old school boxy menu.
                            http://customerssuck.com/board/attac...1&d=1348112572
                            Select Partition Magic 6.6

CD will spin up, have another big running mass of text as it loads.

You will have a nice clean "desktop" with icons etc. This is the Gpart desktop.
                            http://customerssuck.com/board/attac...1&d=1348112911
                            You will hear the CD drive "eject" Don't worry.

Click on the icon "Partition Editor" on left.

Application will load and look like this-ish (I've already selected my drives, this is for color and shape for you)http://customerssuck.com/board/attac...1&d=1348113070

OK.

IIRC, you want to expand C, and shrink D.
                            To do that you need to get the "unallocated space" (gray) towards the C drive so you can allocate that to the C.

You could
                            1. Move D

OR
                            1. Move D (into unallocated space)
                            2. Shrink D
                            3. Give unallocated space *between* the C and D TO the C

OR
                            1. Shrink D
                            2. Give unallocated space *between* the C and D TO the C

No matter what, you need to decide how "small" you want D to be, and how "large" you want C to be. The allocation space for each drive is surrounded by a box- and the green IN the box shows you how much space you're using for that drive. Do remember that you want at least 15% of OPEN space in any kind of allocation/drive. So think of how much stuff you're GOING to put on D, and pad that with a gig or 2.

So I'll go with the 3rd choice.
                            Double click on your D drive

It now has dashes around it and a small popup window too.

Shrink D
                            Click the Resize/Move button on the tool bar.

In the new window, go to the left of the green bar and notice the I bar shaped cursor. Scoot that to the right, to shrink D. The bar moves and you see the white space shrinking. When you feel it's ok, stop.
                            http://customerssuck.com/board/attac...1&d=1348113271
                            Note: this app can go 2 or 3 steps in one shot, you don't have to do a task and wait for it.

Now the gray/unallocated space between C and D has expanded - the shrinking of D.
                            The pop up window is still there.

Click the Resize/Move button on your little pop up window. This marks this as a task to do.

Go to the View Menu on the top bar, drop it down.

Make sure the box of Pending Operations is clicked. You can now see what this app has to do so far.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Der Cute; 09-20-2012, 03:55 AM. Reason: add pics

Comment

Here it is:
                              Last edited by Eireann; 07-21-2019, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Someone suggested making the C drive about 200 GB. I'm open to suggestions. You can see above how much is in each drive.

Comment

Working...
                                X