Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to convert a .wav file to a .aac file?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to convert a .wav file to a .aac file?

Lil Zel wants to use his Nintendo DSi as a portable music player.

I've already bought a SD memory card and selected the records that he wants copied, but we have encountered a minor snag:

You see, the Nintendo can only play .aac sound files, and Windows Media Player can only rip to the file formats .wma, .wav and .mp3. I've checked the "file format options" menu and there is no option for .aac. Tried downloading another cd ripping tool but to no avail.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by NorthernZel; 08-20-2012, 05:43 PM. Reason: Fixing minor spelling error
    A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

iTunes comes to mind. Should be able to drop the selected files into the library then right-click on the selected file and select 'Convert to AAC' from the menu. Then either drop the resulting files into the SD card or find the iTunes library on the computer & copy to the SD from there.

Hope this helps.
    πϱ -- The Greek Society you've been burning to join!

Comment

Not sure if Audacity can convert to aac or not. You may want to take a look.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

You might want to consider using iTunes.

If you already have the files created you can import them into iTunes - by dragging them in, or opening . Then, go open "Preferences" and go to the "General" options.

There'll be a section for CD settings... click on "import settings" and you can pick what filetype you want - including AAC.

Before you start converting however, I recommend popping over to the "Advanced" tab. There's some checkboxes, including one that says "Keep iTunes media folder organized". You might want to make sure that option is off. Otherwise iTunes will move your songs around into new files. And you might not want that.

Then in your library you can click on each song and "create AAC version". (This option will change depending on whatever you have your CD import settings on). It will create the new file in the same folder as the old file is in.

Comment

Thanks for the iTunes advice, guys/gals - it worked! Surely Lil Zel is gonna get a surprise tomorrow when I show him that I have loaded a couple of albums on the card.

(First album on the playlist? A live concert recording by Rammstein... hey, he's the one who requested it )
          A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Working...
          X