This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't I connect to the internet using my computer

I bought my computer in 2010. It has a built in adapter.

My mom's computer was bought in 2009.

We live in a 2 bedroom apt.

My computer is in my room.

My mom's computer is in her room. She has the newest AT&T modem hooked up to it. We have AT&T DSL.

My computer is about 30 feet away from her computer.

However, I am not able to connect to the internet. I have tried installing a wireless adapter, but I cannot get a connection. Even without an adapter, I cannot get a connection.

How do I go about getting a connection? What equipment is needed so I can use the internet on my computer?

I am able to connect my laptop wirelessly to the internet.

We'll need a couple more tidbits of info if you can SG.

What operating system does your desktop run? What kind of adapter? How is your desktop different from your laptop?

Is your laptop connecting by way of your mom's modem for sure? (That is, are you sure her new modem has wireless router capability?) If so, can you do so from the same area your desktop is?

What was the setup before the new modem? Could you connect then?

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
      We'll need a couple more tidbits of info if you can SG.

What operating system does your desktop run? What kind of adapter? How is your desktop different from your laptop?

Is your laptop connecting by way of your mom's modem for sure? (That is, are you sure her new modem has wireless router capability?) If so, can you do so from the same area your desktop is?

What was the setup before the new modem? Could you connect then?
      My desktop has windows 7

The adapter I am trying to use is a netgear N300 wireless USB adapter. However, I cannot get a connection after installing that wireless adapter.

My new modem has wireless router cabability.

I can only connect wirelessly using my laptop. I cannot connect wirelessly using my desktop.

The setup before the new modem was installed was a wireless adapter. At one point that adapter stopped working. It was not able to connect to the internet. I could not get a connection while using that adapter. That was over a year ago.

Comment

Turns out that I need to update my computer's drivers

So exactly how can I update my computer's drivers when I cannot get on the internet?

Comment

Quoth snugglegirl05 View Post
          So exactly how can I update my computer's drivers when I cannot get on the internet?
          This is exactly the reason I have a 30 foot network cable in the cupboard!

Some ideas: Can you temporarily move the DSL modem over to the desktop computer? You should be able to plug it into any teleohone outlet in the house. Another option would be to use a USB stick to move the files from one computer to the other. Hmmm... did the adapter come with a disc? The driver on the disk should work well enough.

Finally, are you sure the adapter still works?
          There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

How far is Desktop and Adapter from the Wireless Modem? Is it on a different floor or location? Is the Modem on a different location than the old one that broadcasted?

Test the USB stick on the laptop. Disable the wireless of the laptop and use the stick. Windows 7 will automatically use drivers for the USB stick. See if the stick works.

How old is the USB stick? Is it in the same capability as the Modem? Wireless a/b/g/n? (oldies would be a/b/g, really really old would be a/b)..Look on the Modem to see what it uses. Wireless a/b/g/n? (most likely). All this will be printed on the outside of these.

Have you changed the USB port that it sits in? Plug the stick somewhere else in the desktop. REBOOT!!! lol

Let us know.
            In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
            She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Sorry if you've already mentioned & I didn't see it; but can your PC see the wireless network at all? (the one your laptop connects to)?
              If not the wireless may be locked down by MAC address, meaning you'll need to add your PC's wireless adapter to the list.
              Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
              What's the difference?
              We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Working...
              X