This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registering a domain, and then what?

I've been toying with the idea of buying a domain ( something.ca ). I've looked into that and that part isn't too bad. Since my condo assoc has a Secretary position open, I'm going to try and get it, and I'd like to set up some simple e-services for us.

But then I'm stuck not knowing what to do with it if I buy it.

The main thing I would like to do would be to basically be able to use it as an email domain. So I could set a bunch of addresses ( secretary@condoAssoc.ca; unit25@condoassoc.ca; etc...) as aliases to those positions. But I don't have 2 clues what I need to be able to do that, or what services I might need to buy to do that. Basically each address would be a forwarder address, mailing to one of those addresses, would send to the real person's email (gmail usually. :P ), and duds going to some general address as needed.

Has anyone done this before (quite likely). What would I need, and how would I set it up? (If it isn't too expensive, I'd probably try to grab my family name and set it up as well). What are some of the gotchas to watch out for with this type of thing?

A secondary thing I'd like to do would be to put a simple website up on that domain; but that would be a longer term goal basically. (and I don't have a clue what I'd need for that, other than needing the likes of Seraph or similar designers. :P)

Thanks for the advice. (And yes, this is in Canada)

A lot of registrars (my personal preference is Gandi) will offer email forwarding or hosting services for free or for a small fee, along with website hosting. If you have a *lot* of emails you need to support, Google's Gmail for Domains can support multiple Gmail accounts at your domain's address. Setting it up can be a bit technical though.

Comment

I own a domain that (for now) I use strictly for e-mail forwarding. I subscribe to easydns.ca - they have a variety of service levels, from simple "parking" (keeping the domain registered but not using it) on up. You might want to check them out.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

For what it's worth I have two domains registered at godaddy.com (who can do web hosting) and have them hosted at adaptive.net. No problems and cost isn't horrible.
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I use mydomain.com. I have a domain that I use for my family`s main email addresses, and another I use for `junk`addresses.
          There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Working...
          X