This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remaining connected to Wi-fi

The Dell lappy finally crapped out it's last time so we replaced it with an Acer Aspire 7560-Sb416. Not a high dollar piece of equipment, but all I do is email, FB, news and a couple of games.

It has a wireless adapter that will connect to our wi-fi (secured) when I open the lid. It will remain connected anywhere from a few seconds to a couple of minutes and then loses it's connection. The only way to re-connect is to go through the trouble shooting process and basically allow it to repair/reset. I can stay connected for however long I'm online at that point. I don't have any issue with the wi-fi until I close the lid and re-open it to go back online. Hubby has the exact same laptop but does not experience this issue. I cannot see any differences in our settings, either.

Running Windows 7, if that matters.

Anyone have any possible solutions/reasons for this issue?

Thx!

Reinstall the drivers............
    There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

It's brand new, straight out of the box. Is that really the first step to solving the issue?

Comment

Quoth Luna Baby View Post
        It's brand new, straight out of the box. Is that really the first step to solving the issue?
        Have you updated them yet?

It may be new-from-the-box but far too often the drivers have already changed somewhat from the time it was boxed to the time it got to your home and opened.

Comment

Good enough answer. I'll try that. Thanks for the explanation.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
            Have you updated them yet?

It may be new-from-the-box but far too often the drivers have already changed somewhat from the time it was boxed to the time it got to your home and opened.
            Yep, between hardware revisions and the manufacturer learning stuff from customers the drivers tend to need updating.

Plus, it's one of the easiest things to do.... pretty much everything else involves Google and poking around in the settings turning stuff on and off.

Comment

Ok, so now we "attempted" to update the drivers, but was told that they are up to date (the message box that pops up). So, I then googled the adapter to see that others are having the same issue and 'tried' one of their suggestions, to manually reinstall the drivers. Uninstalled them, reinstalled, still the same issue. Hubby ended up having to connect to the internet with a cable in order to get back online to get any driver. We have it back up and running, but still having the intermittent outage.

Hubby also found that while we bought 'identical laptops', they aren't quite the same. He has a different adapter that does not have this same issue. Acer has had a few recalls but this particular adapter was not one of those (that we can find).

So, now I'm back to square one.

Comment

Still under warranty?

Comment

Just for shits and giggles, try updating the firmware on your router too.

Comment

Don't know what I've done except connect to our "wireless" printer (it plugs into the router so that we can print wirelessly without buying an actual wireless printer) and each time I open the laptop, it resets the connection to the printer. I've not lost my connection to the router since.

Comment

Working...
                    X