This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• manual DNS resolution

Way back when I used OS/2, there was a command that I could enter with a URL and get back the IP address (i.e. put the URL through the DNS). Is there a way I can do this in Windows 98 SE? The computers available for drivers at the company yard barf when I try to enter the URL for the web interface of my home e-mail (don't have a working printer at home, and I need to print my pay statement), and I thought that going directly to an IP address might get past the (ridiculously lame-brained) "naughty-naughty" censorware.

The reason I need to do this in 98 SE is that's what I've got at home (a banned URL would be picked off if I tried to DNS it at work), so I can write down the IP address at home, then enter it at work each payday.

Thanks for the info.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Use a proxy like http://www.hidemyass.com/proxy/

type your webmail address in the bar provided

Or make a Gmail account and send your email to Gmail and take it from there

Comment

Or GotoMyPC.
      you're thinking of static home address, type that in like 1.2.3.4 and get to your machine?
      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Is nslookup the one you're thinking of?
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Alternatively, can you go to the library to print?
          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

It's been a while since I used the old-style versions of Windows, but the "host" command might be worth trying. If that doesn't work, try "nslookup". This of course assumes that DNS resolving is set up correctly on that computer.

Comment

Both "host" and "nslookup" on my home machine give "bad command or file name". What I did when this problem developed was create a gmail account, go home and forward my pay statement to that, then print it when I got back to work, but that's a PITA (and I don't mean the flatbread with a pocket). Printing from the library costs money - once I get my home system updated (when I have time), it'll be a dead issue, since my new system will have a version of Windows for which I can get printer drivers. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Can you set your work account to automatically forward to your gmail?
                The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

It's not a work e-mail account - it's my personal account, and I don't want to forward EVERYTHING. Also, if I forward from the web interface, it truncates lines - I have to download it in my mailer, take out the forwarding "overhead", and then upload it.

HMA is reachable, will try using it when I get my next pay statement (although that gives a 3rd party site my login and PW info).

Comment

If the CD drive works, you could try booting a Linux LiveCD and using that for the DNS resolution. The two commands I mentioned should work, although you might need to install the "bind-tools" or "bind-utils" package to get them.

Comment

you can use ping to resolve an ip address. nslookup will lookup the ip address by resolving it against your dns server.

http://network-tools.com/

is a website that has all the tools to do what you are trying to do..

hope that helps...

Comment

Thanks. I've got the IP address of the login page - I'll try entering that at work to see if it gets through.

Comment

Working...
                        X