• Build Advice

Intell Core i7-3770K - Processor
    Intel BOXDZ77Gal-70K - Motherboard
    16gb Ram
    750gb WD WD7500AZEX - Hard Drive
    Intel 180 gb Solid state for smart caching

Still up in air on Graphics card looking at
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 660ti

I have a case already and a modular power supply that should handle everything

The Motherboard and the Processor is the only thing set in stone since I get a deal through work for them.

Looking for recommendations, or suggestions. I've never tried smart caching but the few people I know who have say it makes a good difference. I could use a smaller drive for it but I can also get a good deal on the 180gb SS. I've also toyed with the thought of a liquid cooled system but not sure how difficult they are to get setup.

So far so good, I don't have any recommendations/thoughts on the SSD. How many fans are there, how's the ventilation in the case? Are you sure the power wires can get from PSU to the board (sometimes oddly enough they don't). I use crashplan for backup, it's online "cloud" so that way if the drive(s) get hosed, I still have data somewhere.
    Dual DVI, I hope. DVD burner also?
    I think a liquid cooling system is over the top IMO; are you going to be running this full speed 24/7? No? Fans.
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

I'm not brave enough to go with a water-cooled system, as it's pricey, but.. I don't find it necessary unless you really want to overclock or go with a quieter system.

I'm no pro, but I love building machines. Unless someone else is putting the system together, I would avoid the water-cooled system for now. Save the expenses from water cooling toward a better graphics card like you had mentioned. If you're going to be playing the latest and greatest games out, then that money is better spent toward the video card. If you'll be using it for basic browsing, email, etc... meh. That's like saying you have a Ferarri used as a grocery-getter.

I have my PC setup with a 64 GB SSD drive for Windows, another 64 GB SSD for Mac OSX, but the largest drive is a 1.5 TB drive partitioned into two to save the main programs. I don't care about immense speed, but I just like the much faster startup times. (I got the SSDs last year when the prices were about $1 per gigabyte, but now with Black Friday, rebates and more the price on SSDs seems to be around 50 cents per GB).

Black Friday's one of the best times to score deals. Cyber Monday is coming up, so keep your eyes peeled.

Comment

The liquid cooling really is not needed its just something I have wanted to try for a long time for the challenge and the hell of it. Just never wanted to risk new components on it.

Because I never stop looking at stuff. I've been debating getting a full tower. I know the thing is massive but I think I would like the extra room to work with and not having to worry if the graphic card is gonna fit but then I do have concerns about cables being long enough to reach everything.

I'm would really like to try sli/crossfire with 2 graphics cards but I don't know if I want/have that kind of money to spend initially. Is there a significant performance increase or is it more of a headache then it is worth.

Comment

I eventually went with this graphics card for mine, it runs Metro 2033 perfectly and that's supposed to be one of the hardest to run.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16814121661
          Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
          Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Working...
          X