This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth lineswine View Post
    Of British vanity plates, the best one I've seen was on a Volvo 244 estate car - it must have belonged to a doctor, as the plate read F 151 SHN - if you don't get it, tell me & I'll clarify.
    I'm completely stumped by this one.
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I work in health care and don't get it . . . so I'm sure I'll feel more than dumb when you explain it
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Took me a moment, but I got the plate.

Read the 151 as ISI. Then you get F ISI SHN. Or, if you sound it out phonetically, you'll realize that that's a long way go go to get "physician."

What? I'm good with word puzzles.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth lineswine View Post
          Of British vanity plates, the best one I've seen was on a Volvo 244 estate car - it must have belonged to a doctor, as the plate read F 151 SHN
          Wouldn't that be a 245? Going by Volvo's naming convention at the time they used a 3-digit number with a non-zero 3rd digit, the first was the revision of the chassis, the second was the number of cylinders, and the 3rd was the number of doors (and yes, for station wagons, or "estate cars" for Brits, they counted the tailgate). Back in the '70s, my father drove a 245.

As for the plate, is the "F" supposed to be taken as the pronunciation of the "PH" pair, the 3 digits taken as similar-appearing letters (ISI), and the "SHN" taken as the pronunciation of a different set of letters (CIAN), so that the plate reads as "Physician"?

Looks like Jester posted while I was composing
          Last edited by wolfie; 11-10-2014, 04:13 AM. Reason: mention of "race condition"
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
          X