This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer....

Been trying to figure out where to put this. Sorry if it's in the wrong place and feel free to move it. I felt the need for the good to be spread from this tale.

So the husband and I went to Canada not to long ago. We got across the border and had about 20 some hours of driving left. As we drive we pass a speed limit sign that says 100 minimum. My brain went "100 mph? Oh wait Canada, kilometers."

Me: Honey, remember we do kilometers now.
    Hubby: *dead silence for about 5 minutes* Hon....where are the kilometers.
    Me: They would be on the speedometer.
    Hubby: No they're not.

I actually leaned over and checked. Nothing. I then pull out the owners manual and check it. Nothing on kilometers. Apparently our new 08 Malibu and kilometers don't mix.

So we attempt to remember conversions and do the math. We're failing. So we call up the relatives we're visiting. They don't know the conversion either!

In the end we did our best to gauge speed off everyone else around us. We're not going as fast as some people or as slow as others, we're in the middle we think.

Get to the relatives and have a good vacation. Now for the drive back. We're basically chasing a storm as we drive so roads are a bit wet but the hubby figures we're good.

Apparently not cause we got pulled over.

Officer: Hello, where you all off to?
    Hubby: Trying to get to Winnipeg sir.
    Officer: You got about 3 more hours and look ready to pass out there Mr. Can I see your liscence (spelling?) and registration please? *looking at stuff* Now I know in the states the speed limit is 75 mph on your highways...
    Hubby: *mentally cringing* I'm sorry sir but we found out on the way here our car doesn't have kilometers.
    Officer: Your kidding? *looks for himself*
    Hubby: Yeah we've been having to guess.
    Officer: I'm surprised you didn't get pulled over earlier.

Cop then proceeded to convert the kilometers to miles for us and didn't give us a ticket. Even though we found out we were speeding REALLY badly. Like though he said we were going 75 mph we were going 85 mph.

Thank the Maker he was a nice guy instead of some hard ass. Thank you Officer Canadian.
    "It's not what your doing so much as the idiotic way your doing it." Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy 7.

Quoth Mamadrae View Post
    Now I know in the states the speed limit is 75 mph on your highways...
    And where would THAT be? I know some places don't (or didn't) have posted speed limits during daylight hours (weather permitting), but every place else has a speed limit of 55 or 65 mph.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
      And where would THAT be? I know some places don't (or didn't) have posted speed limits during daylight hours (weather permitting), but every place else has a speed limit of 55 or 65 mph.
      North Dakota and other states with nothing for many many miles.

You can get away with 75 on the highways by me barring heavy traffic and bad weather.
      "It's not what your doing so much as the idiotic way your doing it." Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy 7.

Comment

West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia have 70mph posted limits on the interstates...

...Which means that everyone actually drives about 80.

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
          here in OK, the turnpike is 75 on the long stretches between towns. at least on i40 to ft smith it is. i think i44 to joplin is 70. i know i35 to Dallas is 70 for most of it, i slept allot on that trip so cant say for certain
          This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
          my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

K10 (which isn't even an interstate, just a state highway) is 70 mph. When I go home, the speed limit gradually decreases - 70 mph until Clinton, 65 mph until Springfield, 60 mph until Arkansas state line, 55 mph the rest of the way home.
            "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
            Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth Docmayhem View Post
              West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia have 70mph posted limits on the interstates...

...Which means that everyone actually drives about 80.
              I know, i absolutely love it. Takes SO much time out of my roadtrips to Kentucky. One time I was really tired and somehow ended up going 110 on one of the interstates... 68 is it? without realizing it (80 mph + huge hills). Almost whizzed right by a cop, some how I did not get pulled over.

Comment

Quick and dirty conversion is 60Mph = 100 Kph. That means 30Mph = 50 Kph. Those are the two most common speed limits in Canada.

This quick conversion is provided free of charge by your friendly Canadian who doesn't wanna see anyone in a similar situation get a ticket.
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Depends on the surrounding areas . . .
                  Some parts of Texas have 75 Mph highways . . .closer you get to city more likely it will drop to 65-55 Mph range.
                  A lot of speed limit setting has to do with safety on the road. More cars in an area at one time . . .slower they want you to go . . .allows for more repsonse time.

Go Candian Officer for living in the real world. It is nice to see that he had the brains to look for himself and verify that you did have an actual challange in of conversion issues.

Comment

Interstates in Mississippi are 70mph, as are certain parts of some two lane highways.

Comment

I-10, I-40, I-25, and US70 from Las Cruces to Alamogordo (for some odd reason) in New Mexico is 75mph. When you get in close to Las Cruces, Albuquerque, and Santa Fe, the speed limit drops on the interstate. Yeah, when you're out here in some of the big states, the higher speed limits are your friends. Takes about 3 hours from ABQ to Las Cruces instead of 4 1/2 - 5.

Although, right now, about halfway between ABQ (La Bajada Hill) and SF, the limit is down to 55mph because of the tracks for the RailRunner being laid in between north and south bound I-25.

I know, too, that I-10 in far west Texas (except for El Paso co.), the speed limit is 80mph. Or it was several years ago. Might have changed since then.
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

No way, the POSTED speed limit on I-25 is 75. But the cops tell you to go 95 or you get run over. (I was told I was going to slow at 80 mph!)
                        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Well, I stand corrected.
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

You all with your high speed limits. You know what it is on the Illinois interstates? 55 near the cities and 65 everywhere else.

Any attempts to go more than 3 over the limits, will have many a state trooper looming over you ready to pounce with tickets a flailing. Especially for drivers coming in from out of states that have a higher limit.
                            "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post
                              One time I was really tired and somehow ended up going 110 on one of the interstates... 68 is it? without realizing it (80 mph + huge hills). Almost whizzed right by a cop, some how I did not get pulled over.
                              Well, either the cop's car was a factory-stock model (rare, but they exist, especially if he was a local and not HwyPat or a State Trooper) that he knew couldn't catch up to you, or he was dealing with something more important, like a prisoner transport, etc.
                              Last edited by JustADude; 07-25-2008, 08:02 AM.
                              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                              X