Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I-5 in Oregon has 55 near some cities and 65 the rest of the way as far as I know. You can get away with five over, no problem.
    Expect great things, but you'll get what you get.

PossJB

Comment

Florida's Turnpike is 70 mph, everyone does 80 - 85 usually.

I like going at night, that way I can hit the turnpike and do 100mph+ with no cops (or other cars for that matter) around for miles. Just got to slow down near the rest stops

What's sad is when you're pushing 105 - 110mph, and someone STILL comes out of nowhere and blasts past you.
      <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
        Well, either the cop's car was a factory-stock model (rare, but they exist, especially if he was a local and not HwyPat or a State Trooper) that he knew couldn't catch up to you, or he was dealing with something more important, like a prisoner transport, etc.

I had a peek at him because I slammed my brakes on to slow down when I saw the reflection off his grill lights; sound asleep. Out like a light. I just figured they'd have a radar or something that beeps and says "Fucker! Felony Speeding at 9 O ClocK!" He WAS a local though.

I got pulled over later on that trip, for having a missing license plate illuminator. Apparently it'd burned out a few days previous without me knowing. He literally said to me "I have to prove I am not sleeping so I am just giving you a written citation with no ticket or anything.."

Comment

where I live in Wisconsin, the speed limit is merely a suggestion....you never see cops ANYWHERE. going through town in 25 mph zones I along with other traffic normallhy do about 45...out in the country where it is posted 55 we normally do around 85 or 90. No one gets pulled over. I would LOVE to go the speed limit, but I like my life too much. I thik the cops are afraid to be out on the roads with all the high speed drivers.
          "I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse" --Walt Disney

Comment

y'all'd love Utah (and the Intermountain West in general), in SLC the spead limit is 65... hahaha... most people do between 75 and 80, and at least utah and nevada are set up that once you are out of city limits the speed limit goes up to 75 on interstates (unless going over a really big mountain or something like that)... now that is the speed limit, with the exception of nevada most people do 85-90+ (smart people only do 75 in Nevada because they have a budget deficit and if you are speeding you WILL get pulled over and they WILL give you the maximum ticket).
            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
              This quick conversion is provided free of charge by your friendly Canadian

Aren't most Canadians friendly?
              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                Aren't most Canadians friendly?
                I dunno, Broom can get pretty mean when he wants to.
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Trayol View Post
                  You all with your high speed limits. You know what it is on the Illinois interstates? 55 near the cities and 65 everywhere else.

Any attempts to go more than 3 over the limits, will have many a state trooper looming over you ready to pounce with tickets a flailing. Especially for drivers coming in from out of states that have a higher limit.
                  We're from Illinois ourselves so we kept feeling like we were speeding terribly. Though where I live you can get by doing 75. When you have nothing but cornfields for the next number of hours of your drive, I doubt most cops would hold it against you.
                  "It's not what your doing so much as the idiotic way your doing it." Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy 7.

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                    No way, the POSTED speed limit on I-25 is 75. But the cops tell you to go 95 or you get run over. (I was told I was going to slow at 80 mph!)
                    I just went to Santa Fe a couple of weeks ago and nobody was doing anywhere close to that, generally behaving themselves. (Of course, there was some huge back up just north of ABQ and we wound up getting off, going through and getting back on I-25 at Bernalillo.) Generally, when I go down to Las Cruces, I'm the one passing everybody, including semis, and I'm usually doing about 85mph.

Of course, we're also right smack in the middle of "100 Days and Nights of Summer"....
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Trayol View Post
                      You all with your high speed limits. You know what it is on the Illinois interstates? 55 near the cities and 65 everywhere else.

Any attempts to go more than 3 over the limits, will have many a state trooper looming over you ready to pounce with tickets a flailing. Especially for drivers coming in from out of states that have a higher limit.
                      The funny part about this is one time when I went to Chicago I was on I355 and was doing 105 MPH just to keep up with a semi and two other cars.

I know not to mess around with the troopers when I'm around Springfield (where the ISP HQ is) or on a few of the interstates that lead into Chicago from large cities (55 and 57 mainly). They'll bust your ass quicker than hell.
                      Answers are easy...it is asking the right questions which is hard.

Comment

Quoth Docmayhem View Post
                        West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia have 70mph posted limits on the interstates...

...Which means that everyone actually drives about 80.
                        80?? thats the speed we from SC drive during heavy rains, good weather we go faster

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                          I just went to Santa Fe a couple of weeks ago and nobody was doing anywhere close to that, generally behaving themselves. (Of course, there was some huge back up just north of ABQ and we wound up getting off, going through and getting back on I-25 at Bernalillo.) Generally, when I go down to Las Cruces, I'm the one passing everybody, including semis, and I'm usually doing about 85mph.

Of course, we're also right smack in the middle of "100 Days and Nights of Summer"....
                          Wave at George as you speed by Socorro for me. He's generally somewhere between it and Belen. Parked. Sleeping, as usual.

Ya know, I've never been to Santa Fe. (silly of me, I know) How is it during the winter months?
                          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                            And where would THAT be? I know some places don't (or didn't) have posted speed limits during daylight hours (weather permitting), but every place else has a speed limit of 55 or 65 mph.

Pretty much everywhere between Iowa and California.
                            My Pointless Links collection.

Comment

That map is not totally accurate . . . .US 75 north out of Dallas, TX (toward Oklahoma) past Allen goes up to 75 . . .I was just on it Sunday

It must be going by average not all highways

Yes, of course you posted the map for an idea and didn't suggest that we drive the limit it said covered that area.

Comment

I rented a Malibu for a trip last month, and it had the same thing. However, I looks like the speedometer is electronic, and you can switch it between kph or Mph through the car's trip/info computer. I remember a selection for preferred units in there, but I didn't dare mess with it. I did notice when I looked close at the speedometer, you could faintly see the light that would switch on when it was in kph.

Aha, a little searching, and I found a youtube video of it in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD9Ub...eature=related
                                A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Working...
                                X