• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That Which Should Not Be Asked

My co-worker got "The Question."

SC: When is your baby due?
    CW: Um, I'm not pregnant. I'm just fat.
    SC: Ha ha! Good one. Seriously, when are you due?
    CW: I'm not pregnant. I'm just fat.
    SC: Oh. You should really exercise.

This guy is one of our regulars. He's always been a bit dumb, but I never thought he was an asshole. He's used to chatting with us when he comes in, and he's been getting the cold shoulder from everyone since he opened his big mouth. My co-worker is a really sweet woman, and I think if it hadn't been for the "exercise" comment, she would have shrugged it off. As it was, she was pretty offended.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

If a woman says she is not pregnant then guess what? SHE'S NOT PREGNANT!! You don't have to ask a second time.
    "...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?!" ~ Kalga

"DO NOT ENRAGE THE MIGHTY SKY DRAGON." ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

I think it's not necessary to ask that question even the first time..

Comment

Shouldn't you wait until the "pregnant" woman mentions the pregnancy? It seems to be a common thing, women who are pregnant just love to share the news with anyone and everyone with ears.
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

That's rude, even if you were pregnant. Frankly, it's none of his business whether you are or not, and if you are when you're due.
          "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

I believe it was Brian Regan who said "don't guess at that ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever."
            "Oh, you hate your job? There's a club for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet down at the bar." ~Drew Carey

Comment

Oh I don't know, whenever someone asked me when I was due, I would just smile and tell them I wasn't pregnant, it was just gas. Bonus points if the baby shifted visibly when I said it. Used to get quite a few "Look out she's gonna BLOW!!" faces at that one.
              "I've never had a heart attack, but it isn't for my son's lack of trying." - Me

Comment

Holy cheerios! TTAZ! Where the heck have you been?!
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

When I was 15, I was standing in line at Wally World with my mom and this stupid woman came up behind me in the line, muscled her way in front of my mom and rubbed my belly, asking if I was having twins and when was I due! (And I was very much NOT pregnant, but in the middle of a bout of depression where I ate everything in sight for comfort...)

I was in shock. Mom told her to get her hands off her daughter before she cut them off. I didn't know whether to laugh hysterically or burst into tears...

Comment

Why are people so freaking rude??

Comment

Quoth Lyger View Post
                      I believe it was Brian Regan who said "don't guess at that ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever."
                      I think you're right... he also said "never say anything that indicates you even remotely believe a woman is pregnant unless you see the baby coming out at that moment"
                      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I have a gut like that too. Sometimes even *I* think I look pg. I wish I had a T-shirt that said "No Baby" with an arrow pointing down, or "Not pregnant, just fat".

OTOH, the comment about exercising was unnecessary (and in my case, true as well).
                        I was not hired to respond to those voices.

Comment

A boss I once had was famous for having foot-in-mouth disease. One day, he asked a customer the when-is-the-baby-due question and got PWNED when the lady replied, its an inoperable TUMOR!

Don't let cads like this upset you. If it helps, some of us men find bigger bellies attractive. In fact, this thread made me think of cuddling. So there, rude insensitive customer!
                          Suckiness is reinforced up OR down at every transaction. Accepting BS makes them worse for all of us; firm fairness trains them to suck less.

Comment

oh i thought that was a dave barry quote

but yeah i was thinking the same thing

and .... if a woman IS pregnant, the stupidest thing to do would be to grab her belly cos.... hell with all those hormones going thru her, .... only the insane or stupid would try angering a pregnant woman

Comment

Quoth Lyger View Post
                              Yeah, it was him, but he didn't have enough ever's memorized

Comment

Working...
                              X