This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whyisit? (fahion question)

Whyisit I sometimes see people, almost always chavvy-looking guys and gals, walking around with of their pants legs rolled up to their knee or so and the other leg down at its normal length?

Is this supposed to make them look tough or something? I think it makes them look like they fail at dressing themselves, and couldn't even handle Garanimals without making themselves look like neo-maxi-zoom-dweebies.

I saw a guy like this at work today. He looked really really stupid.
    Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 04-21-2009, 03:05 AM.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

When I did it it was because I was wearing long pants and biking and forgot my clip or wrap. Probably not the trend they're emulating though.

Comment

When I was in high school, from 1993-1997, it was common to see my African-American male classmates walking around in sweatpants with one leg rolled up. I never found out why.

Maybe the chavvy girls are emulating a style 12 years too late?
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
        When I was in high school, from 1993-1997, it was common to see my African-American male classmates walking around in sweatpants with one leg rolled up. I never found out why.

Maybe the chavvy girls are emulating a style 12 years too late?
        Some black guys and a lot of white guys who thought they were "ghetto" did that when I went to Middle School (1995-1998)

The white guy I asked about it claimed it to be a gang thing if I recall.

Comment

Not only have I never seen this, I've never even HEARD of it.

Sounds like something braindead fashionista idiots would do, though.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Some hipsters do it because riding a bike with long pants = trouble.

Some people do it because they think it looks cool. I haven't seen that in style since I was a bit younger, though.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
              When I did it it was because I was wearing long pants and biking and forgot my clip or wrap. Probably not the trend they're emulating though.
              Nod, I did this back in the '70s, myself...
              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                Some black guys and a lot of white guys who thought they were "ghetto" did that when I went to Middle School (1995-1998)

The white guy I asked about it claimed it to be a gang thing if I recall.
                That was the theory when I was in school during those years.
                I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

LL Cool J wore his pants like that a LOT in the 90s.

I don't really see that a lot.....all I see are guys wearing their pants about 10 sizes too big, looks like they shit their pants, the butt of their pants is down to their knees....their legs look 1/2 a foot tall....blech.

But remember, it's cool to be gangster. It looks the best when you're whiter than the walls!
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

They wear it like that to show off the "sexy" leg and hide the ugly one. Honestly, I think it's a lame "gang" look. It's almost as bad as the low rise pants with regular rise thongs. Didn't need to see that!
                    "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

Depending on location, this also may (used to anyway, back in the day) signify that the person is selling drugs, like sneakers over telephone wires. LOL.

People come up with weird ideas.

Comment

I actually saw it in Final Fantasy X. Tidus (the protagonist) has a similar design but it's more how the pants are designed for him: one's cut off at the knee, the other's cut off mid-calf.
                        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

All I know for sure is, if I see ONE more guy dressed like Adam Lambert from American Idol, I'm going to kick him in the back of the leg. Men should not be wearing skin tight jeans tighter than women do. It's not flattering, no matter how well built or thin you are. It looks stupid.
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I've seen it. Never understood it.

Quoth blas87 View Post
                            But remember, it's cool to be gangster.
                            Attached Files
                            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I had to wear my pants like that for a while because I had to wear an Aircast for ankle support and I couldn't fit my jeans over it. I've noticed alot of guys on my college campus doing it and have no clue why. It's been bugging me for a while though.
                              "...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?!" ~ Kalga

"DO NOT ENRAGE THE MIGHTY SKY DRAGON." ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                              X