This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The getting back in shape thread

We had this a few boards ago, its a support thread for members who want/need to get healthy or fit or drop some kilos... or all three. I wanted to start it back up because you never can have TOO much support.

What got me thinking about this thread was what happened to me today, I helped one of kyles friends move house. They live up in an apartment on the top floor, no elevator. Well I just about killed myself running up and down 5 flights of stairs carrying things down to the truck. I had to stop and rest at each end! I felt so unfit and it wasnt until I thought about it, I realised

I havent been to the gym in OVER A YEAR. I was a dancer growing up, tap, ballet, jazz, ballroom, hip hop you mention it I did it.Full time to, every single night after school every single weekend from Friday night until Sunday night. I was fit, more than that I was a health and fitness nut. I went hiking and everything! Well today I felt like a useless bloob of flesh. Im going to change that. Next pay cheque im buying some sneakers (I dont even own any anymore!!) and joining the gym, over hauling my diet and working my not so little hieny off (see thats me running there) until I can at least keep up with a normal person.

Feel free to join in the thread if you are aiming to get back in shape or more so to get/stay healthy. We can share advice, recipes and give each other support! I want to emphasis that this is to be a HEALTH focused thread, no fad diets, no starving yourself, kapeesh! Good.
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Aaaww, Kiwi, what a great thread!

I've found that being in love is slowly making me put on weight. My boyfriend has an incredibly fast metabolism that he needs to eat every couple of hours, yet he is still skinny. I'm finding myself eating more as well, cause i'm with him alot, and he will buy me something to eat when he buys himself something. Since my birthday (when I met him), I've gained about 3kg (dont know what that is in lbs?). It doesn't sound like all that much, but it makes a huge difference to me, especially when I have to wear tight fitting clothing at work, and I work with really slim girls. I'm starting to feel uncomfortable at work, but otherwise I don't care too much. I just dont want to lose my job cause I really need the money!
    I ride the time, it unfolds a new day,
    another time, this world would fade away
    To find true love, is like no other joy,
    our choice is here
    be happy for today

Comment

I remember the old thread and can't remember if I replied early on, and gave up or not at all.

As far as food is concerened, we need to eat. So NEVER feel guilty about that or being hungry. But what you put in your face is what is important. Basic health guidlines recommend 5-6 servings of fruit or veg. and some protein and carbs. Basically all of the major food groups. If you stick with that, watch your portion sizes and processed food you should be fine. Add a dash of excercist (housework counts) then you're on your way.

There are no quick fixes, and to believe otherwise is really to sell yourself short. Proper nutrition is paramount to maintainting a health weight. Screw what you see in magazines etc. It shouldn't be a surprise what can be edited/manipulated with a software program.

Good luck ladies, I'm on my own journey with aprox. 60lbs down.
      "smacked upside the head by the harsh of daylight" - Tori Amos "The Beauty of Speed"

a sucking chest wound is merely mother nature's way of telling you to slow down - Arm

Comment

Hmm... not me. I lost 8 pounds these past two weeks just from walking back and forth to work after the move. Heee (5'8" and 118 ain't bad)

Comment

I guess my best advice coming from someone who drinks a lot of beer and still maintains good shape:

Drink plenty of cold water
          Muscle burns fat
          Don't be so concerned with weight
          Make sure the exercising you're doing is enjoyable
          Switch up your routine
          Eat slow and eat healthy
          Spoil yourself once a week

Have fun!
          When will the fantasy end? When will the heaven begin?

Comment

Well, for the first time in Gord-only-knows how long, I went to the fitness room in our building and did a half-hour work out. It was very disturbing how tired that made me, so I'm going to keep doing it! I've got some good music stuffed into the Muvo so I can keep myself going- I have to stay in at least good enough shape to keep up with the munchkin!

Now all I have to do is make sure I head for the edible-pod peas instead of ice cream for my snack, and I should be all set!
            Arsenic is 'natural'. Hemlock is 'organic'.

Comment

Motivation time!

I can say there's nothing like a looming Caribbean wedding/honeymoon to motivate one's hindquarters. Fiance and I have been getting up at 4:45, Monday through Thursday, to hit the gym; plus, he plays Ultimate on Tuesdays, I play soccer on Thursdays, and we try to do at least one active thing at the weekends. Haven't noticed a great fluctuation on the scale, but I can feel some of my clothes slowly but surely becoming looser, which is good enough for me!
              Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

I've been working hard lately at getting myself into shape. For those of you who recall, I had lap-band surgery in December and have lost 72 pounds since then. In the last three months I've started going to the gym and it is making all the difference. I do 20 minutes on the recumbent bike at a level 2 resistance, 100 tricep extensions, 20 camber curls, 20 chest presses and 10 shoulder presses. When I first started I could barely manage 12 minutes, no resistance, on the bike and just a couple tricep extensions. I go about three times a week.

The hardest part is getting myself out the door, but once I'm there I love it. I use that to remind myself when I'm lying in bed at 5am whining that I don't want to go to the gym. (I go at 5:20 in the morning with my mother before she goes to work and I am NOT a morning person).

I used to laugh when people claimed that going to the gym was addictive. Now I'm pacing the house cause it's the weekend and I wish it were an early weekday morning so I could get hopping!
                "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Comment

I've been losing weight steadily but mine is only one part the diet and exercise - the other is thyroid meds.

I've just basically sliced my portions in nearly half - I snack a lot on mostly sunflower seeds and fruit, eat lean meats and vegetables aplenty, I do indulge in the occasional Junk Food Treat - but in all, one year of keeping it up and I'm minus 50 lbs.

Keep at it, everyone!!
                  Sometimes, it just doesn't pay to get out of the blanket nest.

Comment

I'm also trying to drop about 30-35lbs. Before I started my running program I hadn't worked out or ran for over a year. I was running for about a month and doing pretty good. I actually gained a couple of pounds, but I knew it was muscle, cause muscle weighs more than fat. I had to stop due to an emergency gallbladder removal surgery. The doctor said that I can't start running until I see him this week, but walking is fine.

I used to be 5'8" and 120 lbs. I would be happy to get to 135. I was to skinny at that time. No muscle. I was actually underweight. I looked like a skeleton with skin. I would not want to get back that thin, it was unhealthy looking. I have actually taken a liking to the fitness look. I want muscle but not that of a bodybuilder. I love the long lean look. I am a runner and cannot bulk up.

I am contemplating abdominoplasty. Basically a tummy tuck. I would like all of these stretch marks and scars to go away, at least the majority of them. I get sick when ever I look at them. I know that excersise and proper diet will work but not fast enough for me. It took me almost 2 years before to get to where I was seeing muscle and progress but ended up pregnant and all of my motivation was gone. But this will cost me $8,000.00. Insurance will not cover this cause it isn't an apron of skin in front. They are very strict when it comes to anything considered cosmetic. So any donations woudl be greatly appreciated. LOL
                    Woman are like guns, if you don't treat us right, we'll blow up in your face!

Pain is your bodies way of telling you that you're still alive.

I am also known as Liquid Skin and Silkekitten.

Comment

This thread is going great everyone keep up the good work!!! make sure you keep us up to date with your progress. My goal personally if more fitness than numbers, although by improving my fitness im sure my numbers will improve!

I dont weigh myself because of my issues with the scale, as a teenager I would starve myself regularly (sigh its so sad how many girls do this) to make sure the number on the scale was one I liked. Now even at the doctors I hop on the scale backwards so I cant play number games with myself.

Im going to go by the fit of my clothes, my jeans waistband is a little snug right now so my first goal is to make them fit like they did when I brought them. well actually my first goal is to buy some gym shoes!

I went for a walk yesterday just a short one to the mall down the road and back, I usually would have had kyle take me in the car but walking turned out to be just as fast when you consider, finding the keys, locking and shutting up the house, driving down, waiting for traffic lights etc. So Im planning on walking a whole bunch more places.

Working on the water intake to, that always makes me feel better and more energetic. I had dinner at kyles parents house tonight, skipped the cake for dessert, had a bowl of strawberries instead.... mmm strawberries!!

anyway keep us all posted!
                      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

I have recently started a diet and exercise plan myself. At my height of 5'1", I feel I need to lose ~50 lbs from my current 175 lbs. (I started at 185 so I have lost 10 lbs so far. ) I found that I was having problems getting motivated and sticking with an exercise programs on my own, so I spent the money to get a personal trainer. (The place I work also owns the health club I go to, so I get an employee discount ) It has been a huge help for me to have someone to be accountable to and to work out with. For the diet, I am just trying to eat better, more fruits and vegetables and less junk. I am also trying to eliminate caffine from my diet, but that is a gradual thing.

Comment

I usually hit the gym 4 nights a week. Two of those nights, I do about a half-hour or so of cardio--either the arc trainer, or one of the ellipticals. If I really want to mix things up, I'll do one of those plus the stair climber. After that, I'll go through the Nautilus circuit. By then, I'm pretty tired, so I'll relax in the hot tub for 10-15 minutes....or until certain people in there get annoying

The other 2 nights are straight cardio, of which I usually do an hour's worth. I tried spreading out the Nautilus stuff over all 4 nights, but if I do that, I get sore. I need a break before I do it again.

Even with all this, I can't seem to lose my "spare tire." Maybe if I didn't have a job that required me to sit behind a desk all damn day
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Awsome thread!! I wanted to post something similar to this but was afraid of tooting my own horn.

I can't reiterate some of the points mentioned earlier enough! About 1 year ago I decided to buy a bench and start weight training. I learned the hard way that what I was doing wasn't good enough. This past January I bought a Bowflex and just love it! Now, I'm 100x more consious about lifting, (quality over quantity) and my diet. Sometimes, it seems like I'm overboard, but when you seriously want to lose weight and look better.....overboard can be the best way to stay motivated.

Points I loved so far in this thread:

Drink Plenty of Cold Water. Water water water. A must! Dehydrated muscles like to tear.

Small meals often during the day. And good meals too. Not junk!

Don't be so concerned with weight. Muscle weighs more than fat!

Spoil yourself. - knowing you can cheat a little makes it easier to stick to the diet in the longrun.

I subscribe to many fitness forums, have read many books lately on the subject, and try to keep up on some of the most recent supplements on the market.

A bit more about myself and my change.

I wouldn't really consider myself fat, rather there is just a little bit more of me to love. Anywayz, I realized when I started feeling really awful in the morning, had no energy, and felt run down all the time, that a change was due. Approaching my 30th birthday, I knew it was now or never to get this party started. My entire diet and eating habits have changed.

Morning: Eggs and a protein shake

Snack: Cin/raisin bagel and a protein shake

Lunch: Turkey sandwhich on whole grain bread with cottage cheese on the side

Snack: Trail mix and a protein shake

Supper: Either fish/chicken with Brown rice and a veggie

Snack: Cottage cheese

My lifting routine is usually:

Day 1: Legs - Squats/Lunges/Calf Raises

Day 2: Arms - Seated Curls/Tricep pulldowns/standing curls/Skull Crushers/Hammer curls

Day 3: Abs/back - Ab stabilizers/obliques/overhead pulldowns/bent over barbell raises

Day 4: Chest/Shoulders - Bench Press/Chest Fly/Crossover Cables/Lat raises

Day 5: Abs - Ab stabalizers. (I alternate this one every other weekend and sometimes mix in an extra arm curl)

I try to say away from a lot of fast food and soda. I take caffine, but only in my supplements as an energy booster and in low doses. I drink about a gallon of water a day, and I also throw in some basketball or other aerobic activity on off days. All my meals are spaced 2-3 hours apart.

So far the results have been fantastic!!! I'm not losing any weight, but I have been seeing veins pop out all over the place in my legs, arms, and everywhere else. I'm seeing massive pits where fat used to cover muscle, and my pants are getting nice n' loose. I've seen mad gains on the weights, and sometimes, it's frightening. My bench started at 125lbs and I can now lift 310lbs 4 times. My main benching weight is around 250lbs 8-10 times. Curls are up near 100lbs per arm and my legs workouts are almost always near the 300lb mark. For motivation, I stick pictures of people who have used body building to get the body they want. I'm a big WWE fan, so having pics of some of the wrestlers really helps with motivation. Such as Triple H and Batista. I don't want to be a body building champion, but I do want to look better. Oh yeah, and having people wonder if you would pummel them if they made you mad feels pretty good too.

sorry for the long windedness.....

Lets kick it into high gear everyone!! w00t!
                            "The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts." - Steven Wright

Comment

I had food poisoning for three day! For three days I barely ate and if I did it usually didn't stay down long. I go to weigh myself after I started feeling better and I lost a whole 1 POUND! GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Working...
                              X