Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The getting back in shape thread

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BookstoreEscapee
    replied
    Haven't been in here in a while....

    I've been doing the Run Your Butt Off program from Runner's World. I'm 3 weeks in but still in Phase 2 (it's structured as a 12 week program but if you need to repeat a phase, no problem). Phase 2 = (4 minute walk + 1 minute run)*5 followed by 4 minutes walking to cool down. It's actually my third week in Phase 2 now; the first week I couldn't finish even a minute of running; the second week I could but it was mostly on the treadmill. It's a little harder on the road, plus my knee has been bothering me, so I'm repeating it for at least another week before I move on. I also got a wrap for my knee which I used yesterday and it really seemed to help. I had a little pain in one spot but I didn't have the ache all around my knee that I did before, and also didn't feel like it was going to give out under me after I was done.

    I made a playlist (an idea from one of the test subjects in the book) that has songs of the proper length for each interval. It's hard to find one-minute long songs, though. Hopefully I won't need that one much longer.
    Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 06-22-2011, 02:20 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Rapscallion
    replied
    Um, weight was affected by visiting a mate for a few days, plus overindulgence when I got home as well. Current state, not checking. Eating habits, going back to where they were out of fright. Exercise - back to it and 444 calories for a half-hour.

    Rapscallion

    Leave a comment:


  • Rapscallion
    replied
    Damn, back to only having lost eight pounds since I started. Tasted good, mind. Anyway, today's exercise bike was thirty minuets for 480 calories. Need to get on that more often.

    Rapscallion

    Leave a comment:


  • Rapscallion
    replied
    Been a couple of weeks or so. Back to 10 pounds down after excessively eating on holiday, though I did a fair amount of walking.

    30 minutes on the bike, 432 calories. Avg bpm 147. Kept it down a bit out of lack of interest

    Rapscallion

    Leave a comment:


  • Rapscallion
    replied
    This morning suggests 12 pounds down.

    Rapscallion

    Leave a comment:


  • Rapscallion
    replied
    Thirty minutes on the bike of doom, and 498 calories gone.

    Rapscallion

    Leave a comment:


  • Rapscallion
    replied
    Just over three weeks and I'm eleven pounds down.

    Rapscallion

    Leave a comment:


  • Rapscallion
    replied
    Wii fit reckons ten pounds down in nearly three weeks, though mostly without much exercise of late. Some sort of nasty head cold has my sinuses trying to claw through my face, so avoiding the whole blood pressure thing.

    Rapscallion

    Leave a comment:


  • Rapscallion
    replied
    Another pound down - 9 so far. Mostly from not eating as much as I was doing.

    Rapscallion

    Leave a comment:


  • Rapscallion
    replied
    Wii Fit today says that since two Sundays back I'm down eight pounds. That can't all be dehydration.

    Rapscallion

    Leave a comment:


  • Mytical
    replied
    It is the lower back. Injured it at a work site, but because the person who injured me was the only witness..I won't go there it would lead to fratching.

    Re-injured it later in an accident (which put me bed ridden for 6 months and also caused memory issues). I LOVE swimming, seriously if I had a indoor pool? I'd be getting 5-6 hours of workout a day. Well ok, 1-2 hours of workout with floating the rest of the time lol.

    Leave a comment:


  • Sapphire Silk
    replied
    Quoth Mytical View Post
    I have degeneration of disc 5 and 6 (I think)..due to lack of use when I was put up in bed for 6 months (and gained 70 lbs during that time ). Also not just looking for the back..knees and legs also. I need a swimming pool, swimming is one exercise I can do with little/no pain lol. Edit : And I am not talking the exercise pain, I am talking making a person cry pain.
    Disc 5 an 6 could mean the neck, upper back or lower back (Cervical spine or neck is 6 vertebrae, Thoracic 12, Lumbar 5.

    Swimming is an excellent exercise for those with a bad back; the water will support your body weight, it is low impact, and includes both strength training and aerobic components.

    I know you're in the donut hole, but I would get professional help before doing any back specific exercises . . . it would be all too easy to injure yourself.

    Whatever you do, listen to your body. If it hurts, don't do it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Rapscallion
    replied
    Thirty on the bike reckons 479 calories. 156 bpm average.

    Not been on the Wii Fit in a little while due to very odd work schedules and a weekend away where I ate ... too much. Back on tonight or maybe in the morning.

    Rapscallion

    Leave a comment:


  • Rapscallion
    replied
    Thirty minutes, 496 calories. 159 avg bpm.

    Hitting the Wii Fit later, possibly in anger.

    Rapscallion

    Leave a comment:


  • Rapscallion
    replied
    As of yesterday, I was five pounds down since Sunday. If that's dehydration, I'm certainly baffled as I'm drinking loads. This is mostly by cutting down portions to sensible levels and by taking out deserts and snacks, and punishing myself with rice cakes. A smear of peanut butter helps to assuage hunger very nicely.

    Rapscallion

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X