Slow response from board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow response from board

The board is responding much slower now than I am used to. There also seems to be some sort of connection throttling?

My typical use case: Go to the main list of topics, open each main topic in a new tab. It takes much longer than previously to open the tab, and (at least the first time) the first four were the only ones that actually loaded. The other three showed a blank page with the URL in the title, not the forum title. It took several reloads over the course of a couple of minutes to get them to load.

Opening a tab to read a topic also takes maybe 5 seconds? That's several times longer than the previous iteration.

It also looks like I'm not allowed to respond or post in Site News. It's possible that is admin-only, though.

Details: Mac OS 10.9.5 (yes, old I know!) Firefox 78.15.0esr (64-bit), Ad-block Plus.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

It is definitely having responsiveness issue. I'm working on it; but not seeing anything obvious, yet. It is NOT supposed to be this slow. The site itself seems to think there is an issue with a module that doesn't exist on the web server. I'm going to be opening a ticket with vBulletin, and probably giving them access to look at things, right after my daily call with work.

The Site News thing appears to be affecting multiple people. This is actually kinda good as it point to the problem being with that board so I *may* be able to correct it by just re-writing the permissions for Site News.
    Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Comment

For what it is worth, the same exact issue appears to be on Fratching as well, so it may well be a single change fixes all kinda thing
      Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Comment

Ironically, the board has finally returned to normal speed for me as of this morning
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

lol!
          It should be faster than this
          Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Comment

I’ve been noticing that some pages say “sorry you are not authorized to view this page” yet I can see the page. Is there any way to fix this, please?
            My Fanfic Page
            My Fiction Page
            My Social Group
            My Pet Social Group
            My You Tube Channel

Comment

We've been working on the permissions and speed issues. Please bear with us ^_^
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Ah that sorts my problem too as it tells me I am not authorized to view certain pages. Incidentally, the Map It Up feature has transferred over from the other site-it didn't work when it was there- might be worth removing it totally if it's not fully functional?
                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Yeah, pruning obsolete stuff is on the list. It is much further down than things like making sure people can edit their profile pics, have the proper permissions, etc

Comment

Tried posting to Server Outage and More by I can't and have the message: Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                    I get the same message in Forum Games, both open topics.

It is taking 10-15 seconds for each page to load.

Got following message after making a post:

Error while saving content: %1$s
                    Error information: " 200 parsererror SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected end of data at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data"

As usual hitting refresh worked.

Edit: Didn't get that message making this post.

"I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I'm getting a "can't contact the server" error when I try to load my subscriptions that are more than a month old.
                      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                      -Mira Furlan

Comment

In case it helps I just got this error message while trying to open a sub forum "Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in D:\WebRoots\customerssuck.com\board\includes\vb5\f rontend\controller\page.php on line 73"

Comment

First, thank you all for posting the error codes. That will be a huge help! ^_^

We've squished a number of Permissions issues, but some people are having the Site News issue even though they have the exact same permission setup as people who can post there normally. We've been looking into it.

db: Interesting; I'll pass the error along. Was the space in "frontend" there in the original message? Just curious

Regarding errors when posting: Just hit f5/refresh and your thread/post should show up. Known issue

PPE has been working on speed with the help of tech support straight from vBulletin; They've tried a few things and seen minor improvements, but also a fair number of "that should have worked" fixes that...didn't x.x

ghel: On subscriptions: That doesn't surprise me. I'll pass it along. Try unsubbing and resubbing and let me know, please. Also, someone else mentioned this and noticed that sub notifications have been going to their Spam folder, so please check there. It's also possible that they are going to Notifications (on the board itself) but not emailed. It's on the list.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                            Tried posting to Server Outage and More by I can't and have the message: "Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page"
                            I get the same message in Forum Games, both open topics.
                            I am still getting the same message on those pages and cannot post to those pages.

I tries logging of and back on, but it didn't change anything.

"I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Eric: I didn't do anything different, but it's loading now. And the site overall seems to be quicker. *crosses tentacles* that that will continue.
                              "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                              -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
                              X