Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently double-blind studies have pretty conclusively shown that roofies aren't really useful as a "date rape" drug, seeing as they're not a magical knockout potion.

The chemical was actually 1,4-butanediol, used commercially in plastics processing. 1,4-B is converted to GHB in the body, but has more toxic effects than GHB alone (so the GHB moniker may not be entirely correct). Apparently the factory was supposed to use 1,5-pentanediol instead but the almighty yuan triumphed (we want cheap crap, we get cheap crap).

Anyhoo, why was a 10-year-old eating them, as stated in one report I saw (and again, why were there no issues with the toy before now)? I knew at a much younger age than that not to put non-food things in my mouth.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

What actually happened is that the chinese factory didn't use the approved glue, they used a different one, which caused the problems.

Most things aren't made in the country they are sold in becuase of economic pressures- after all, in china they just have to pay a five year old the equivalent of a pound a year, with no sick leave or any other benefits. WHy on earth would they get it made in america or the uk, where people have rights and have to paid a vaugely decentish wage?

I have no problems with things being made abroad, if they are paying the people makign them a decent wage and allowing decent working conditions.
      Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
        Apparently double-blind studies have pretty conclusively shown that roofies aren't really useful as a "date rape" drug, seeing as they're not a magical knockout potion.
        I had a medical investigation a few months ago under the effects of a relative of rohypnol (began with 'm'). Trust me - some of the 'date-rape' drugs are damned effective, though this was intraveinous.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
          Seems all toys from China these days are just dangerous and waiting to hurt our children.

Let's just stop ordering shit from China, shall we? Quite frankly, I'm surprised there isn't a huge Mothers Against China group out yet from all the lead toys.
          My mother's company currently has their products manufactured in China, and she said that they are the most industrious, hard-working people, and that she was so surprised on how well they keep their factory (they run quality checks on the products that are sent back, all good).

A lot of the blame lies with these big American toy companies, that pay these factories to make a cheaper product at whatever cost, and then fail to test them properly when the product is sent back. Sure, the factories are at fault too, but Americans tend to think we can 'do no wrong' and it's all the fault of the Chinese factories.

Besides, where were these PARENTS that had their children under 2 swallowing these things?! It's the same if a child had gotten into their big brother's chemistry set or model airplane glue? Even so, if the product was not chemically harmful, what if the child had choked?
          "I, too, am saddened by the lack of hookers in this thread." -LingualMonkey

Comment

Date rape drug? Don't we all call that alcohol?

Seriously now, this whole toy thing gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, "Get the Lead out."
            "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Quoth Nakajo View Post
              Besides, where were these PARENTS that had their children under 2 swallowing these things?! It's the same if a child had gotten into their big brother's chemistry set or model airplane glue? Even so, if the product was not chemically harmful, what if the child had choked?
              Apparently, the beads themselves are not a choking hazard (too small).

Even still, upon seeing something that bonds when sprayed with simple water, I would assume there is a chemical involved and act accordingly (okay, unknown chemical on beads, given that chemical is unknown I wouldn't want kids putting them in their mouths).
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I have to agree that I was a little shocked by the TEN year old eating them. WTF?

And if the kid had some serious mental disability (which might explain the 2 year old habit of sticking things in it's mouth) where was the parent?

I know you can't keep a 24/7 leash on kids, but it seems funny to me that these beads would be left where toddlers and kids with the brains of a toddler could get at them.

And yea, Aqua Dots have been around for a number of months. I wanted to get some and play with them...but I guess that has to wait until they work out the problem with the Chinese factory and start producing them properly again.
                I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Working...
                X