This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verizon can't do math.

Not sure if anyone else has posted this, and I'm not sure if this is technically in the right part of the forum.

But apparently Verizon doesn't understand the difference between .002 cents and .002 dollars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp0HyxQv97Q&eurl=

Wow...... just... WOW. I applaud the guy for keeping his cool for so long and trying to explain it calmly and rationally.
    I don't know if I could kill someone with a frozen turkey because that is a lot of evidence to eat .... unless I found a whole room of people who also wanted that person dead ... - Dane Cook

Comment

Dollars and Cents or How Verizon messes up the Numbers

I Just saw this on SLashdot. It is not a sucky customer but bad customer service from verizon. Basicly the customer was quoted ".002 cents per Kb" for data service but was charged ".002 dollars per KB" or in an easier to see example he was charged $.002 instead of the quoted $.00002. so his bill was $71 instead of what he thought it should be $.72 (rounded up). He was charged 100x more than quoted. I am linking to the conversation he recorded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp0HyxQv97Q&eurl=

be careful because you will want to

and his Blog:

http://verizonmath.blogspot.com/

So i don't know if this should technically go in this thread but if anything this guy seemed very patient.

Comment

I'm more amazed about the relative stupidity of the people in management at ver1zon than anything. A person with a grade 8 education should be able to do that math.

I do have to give props to that guy. I'd have been about ready to go postal on those idiots.

I'd take that to the local BBB and get my money back or at least get them reported for ripping me off. Of course, posting the lunacy for all to listen is a must.

Comment

8 minutes in and he's still explaining basic math to this guy. OH MY GOD

Supervisor for a year and a half and still can't understand cents < dollars

BAHHHHH 11 minutes and I've given myself a concussion
          No good news is good bad news

Comment

i guess thats a requirement for becoming management, not knowing basic math

Comment

i'm astounded

Comment

I didn't get too far past the red saying "uh, on paper, .002 dollars and .002 cents are the same". Wow.

Comment

I am not very good at math and this has me baffled. I took .002 and multiplied it with 35,893 and it came up with 71.788 and when I took .0002 and multiplied it, I came up with 0.7788. Am I wrong? Please, someone explain this to me, I was never very good with this. This is why I chose to work warranty and not Care. Where I used to work, math was not a requirement to be a manager.

I am soooooo confused. After a while I would have been pulling my hair out. I am not afraid to admit that I suck at math.
                  Woman are like guns, if you don't treat us right, we'll blow up in your face!

Pain is your bodies way of telling you that you're still alive.

I am also known as Liquid Skin and Silkekitten.

Comment

I think that I am more confused than the rep.

Comment

Math is your friend...move the decimal point 2 spots to the left

My brain is screaming out "WHAT KINDA DOPE CASN'T SEE THIS?!?!?"

Oh well...still listening
                      Last edited by Mr. Rude; 12-10-2006, 08:45 PM.
                      "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

I guess I am that dope. I had a feeling that the decimal point needed to be moved, and I asked all over the house and noone would tell me. My daughter is taking algebra and she still wouldn't tell me. My oldest daugher (15) wanted to slap the rep and his manager, she apparantly figured it out before I did.

Comment

The problem that seems to be hanging up management there is that they're agreeing it's .002 cents, but after they hit the "total" key on the calculator, they assume dollars instead.

.002 cents
                          X 35,893 kb
                          ---------------
                          71.786 cents

or: .71786 dollars.

The various reps keep forgetting what units they're multiplying, and changing the "cents" above the total line to "dollars" below. So they claim their math is correct, even when it's not.

I still have a hard time figuring out how this is confusing to so many people in one place, though. Perhaps they should've gotten a first-tier tech with a grasp of math to explain it to management.

At least, according to the guy's blog, he got his refund (supposedly).
                          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

How do people pass elementary school?

I think everyone of those people need to go back to elementary school; .002 cents is not the same thing as .002 dollars. I wonder if anyone can do math at Verizon? I think they all need some training. I was hoping that she would get it after she saw it on paper, but no. When she said it was your opinion, its like NO its math, there is no opinion, its figures, there is no room for opinion. He handled it a lot better then I would have.

Comment

See? Verizon also is notorious for changing customers' plans without telling them until they get their bill. Happened a total of 3 times to my father. I use sprint, with my employee discount plan, they're mildly intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                              X