Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ananda noticed a newcomer out of the corner of her eye, and turned her head to get a better look, still listening to the general (short) history of Sector 3.
    She looked about Kate's size, but seemed a bit more down-to-earth-- but still nervous. She wondered if there would be room assignments, and if so, who of these women would she be bunking with?
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

• Augusta was thinking about Derek, and mulling over what she'd just learned about all of these people standing around. The world was a very different place nowadays. Everyone knew that, but it was a different thing altogether to be a part of what all the talking heads on the news were going on about. She remembered the changes happening gradually, then picking up speed -- more and more people all over the place suddenly finding themselves with abilities that you used to only be able to read about in the comic books.

She herself had noticed something different about herself, noticed it growing stronger and stronger as weeks passed, and finally when she couldn't stand it anymore she'd gone for a hike on the Blue Ridge Parkway, gone deep into the woods, and it was there she practiced the abilities that refused to be ignored or go away. She'd taken a cue from Star Wars and lifted a few rocks. Then she flung them as far and as hard as she could. Then she twisted the branches off a tree, then burst those branches into mulch. She'd done it it all with her mind alone, and it had gone on all afternoon until she got a headache so ferocious she thought she was dying. That had kept her flat on the ground, thinking deep thoughts about strokes and aneurysms, until well after the sun set, for hours until the pain finally let up and left her without any seeming side effects.

She went home then, and found Derek there and worried sick. When he saw how haggard she looked, he'd run across the room to fold her in his arms, asking what was wrong, what happened? Her heart was pounding; she didn't know what he would think when she reached out. He looked to see if she was pointing at something and saw the water glass cruise serenely through the air from the counter twenty feet way, until it smacked into her palm.

"I see," he said, and she burst into tears. Then, to her surprise and relief and delight, all he did was hug her that much harder, until it seemed he would squeeze all her tears out.

...And she looked around her again, and wondered how it had been for all these others. They all spoke English, but there were some who -- to her surprise -- also spoke with Russian accents. She wondered what they have to say if they knew she spoke a fair amount of Russian, and decided to keep that to herself, just in case. Maybe they'd have more to say if they didn't think anyone could listen in. All of this was very strange, and she was apprehensive. Better to observe for now... just see what could be seen.
      Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 03-18-2011, 12:37 AM.
      Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

• Johnny V and Kate step out of the portal at just the right time to have Kate's mom, Debra, step out of the house on her way to find Kate. "And where have you been, young lady?"

Kate winces at the amount of stress and anger coming through. The pause is unfortunately long enough for Debra to start going again. "You didn't have your cell phone, and you know your father and I told you you need to have it at all times to let us know where you are! You still live here and I won't have you worrying us like your brother is! Between you having powers and your brother trying to throw his life away..."

"Mom...Mom! Stop it. You're giving me a headache...." She looks down at the withering gaze her mom gives her at the interruption, but keeps going. "Mom, this is Johnny. He's...well, he's part of a group that wants to offer me a different job."

"Hi, nice to meet you, Mrs. Allen." Johnny reaches out a hand to shake hers.

"Pleased to meet you." It's said automatically. Debra's gaze fixes on her daughter again. "New job? What about the job you have?"

"Um...well, it's kind of a task force..." Between her and Johnny, they describe Section 3 and what its purpose is.

Debra purses her lips. "And your other job?"

"Well, I'll probably have to drop it..."

"Are you going to be paid for this?"

"Yes..."

"What about tests? Are they going to put you through testing?"

"No. Just training, right?" Kate looks to Johnny, while trying to edge into the house.

"That's right. Nothing invasive. We're just looking to help out those who need it." Johnny grins at her.

"Well, what happens if you get hurt?"

"Mom, I really need to..."

"What happens if you get hurt, Kate?"

Johnny intercedes. "How about I answer your questions, ma'am, while Kate gets her things together. I've been with the group longer after all."

Kate shoots him a grateful look before dashing inside the house without waiting her mom's agreement. Her powers though pick up her mother's continuing disapproval and increasing worry as Kate throws together a duffel bag full of clothes, toiletries, and some small entertainment stuff to last a couple of weeks. By the time she gets downstairs, Johnny and her mom have moved inside and are sitting in the living room. Debra looks up. "You really are set on this." It wasn't exactly a question.

"Yes ma'am." Kate shifts at the attention. "It would help..."

"Your father is going to be upset."

"Mom..."

Debra sighs. "You'll be home once in a while, right?"

"Of course! More than I'd be able to with the teaching job at least..."

Standing up, Debra crosses to her daughter and hugs her. "Then I guess I'll convince your father." She fixes a momma bear stare on Johnny. "But you had better make sure she's not hurt."

"Um...Scout's honor ma'am?" He looks hopeful that that'll calm her down.

"I suppose." She lets go of Kate and watches as Johnny opens a portal and the two step through. Kate lets out the breath she'd been half holding during all of that.
        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

• During the next three weeks training is intense. From time to time the group will see other unfamiliar figures, suggesting that they are not the only trainees in the headquarters. During this time the ones that haven't got full control of their power do get some more control. The group learns how to work better together, etc.

You all still have far to go when there is a news report. Several countries are reporting violence. A group calling themselves the Anti-Mutant Alliance have started military take overs of some small nations, and attacking mutants in other areas. They apparently have developed a weapon that causes mutants to temporarily loose their abilities (becoming human), and are trying to kill anybody who shows any mutant powers or physical mutations.
          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

• Rob was watching events unfold courtesy an EM-shielded monitor. Or so he assumed. He still wasn't entirely certain how Section 3 technology worked in that area. Or how they developed it. Still, it was the best option for him until someone came up with a power suppression device he could wear or he learned just that much control.

"Wonder what kind of forces they've got to take over countries like that..."
            » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Comment

• Kate looked up from the knitting she was...well, attempting was the best word. She could keep her emotions to herself fairly reliably now, but keeping emotions away...that still seemed to require her concentrating on something else. Too bad her skill in craft was so bad. "What's that?"
              My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

• Alex slams his hand on the wall. "We have got to get out there and help these people!"

Alexis looks worried "They are not ready, and those new weapons. It's too dangerous."

"Innocent people are dying!"

"More will die if we go out there!"

"Yo..you are right..I just .. I hate the thought of so many innocents getting hurt."
                Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

• Ananda looked up from sorting out various yarny bits for Kate-- "Well, it's not like we'd have to go mano-e-mano against some crazy mutant army, right? All we'd have to do is snag people and run, not actually fight like with combat positions unless stuff got heavy? And when that happens, there'll be people on our side with guns who know how to use them, right?" Kate would pick up anxiousness, she's guessing it'd be because Ananda has very much a healthy respect for guns and other weaponry. "We'd all be normal then."
                  Last edited by teh_blumchenkinder; 03-18-2011, 04:25 AM. Reason: elaboration
                  "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                  "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

• Kate's starting to look anxious herself between Ananda and Alex. "Fighting's not going to help anything...it would just make it worse."
                    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

• Ananda nods. "Yeah. We might just have to evacuate people, not topple dictatorships or something."

Comment

• "I'm wondering how much we can do if they can just shut off our powers... Though I wonder how effective that army would be with their communications completely cut off..."
                        » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Comment

• Ananda smiles, it's almost a grin. "Yeah. It's all about maneuvering and placement of assets. Like us!"
                          (Kate: she's happy... can you pick up reasons? I imagine not, 'cuz that would be mind reading and not empathy...>_> )

Comment

• ((Lightly. If she's been around you long enough to essentially "sync" to you, she can do like surface thoughts. So if you've been talking with her a while and she's been more or less sympathetic/mirroring you for a while, she might start answering things you haven't fully said yet. Like the friends/siblings/lovers who seem to complete each others sentences?))

Kate shakes her head at the sudden emotion shift. "Like us?"
                            My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

• (then Kate would pick up "Yeah, maneuvering so we won't get shot at.")
                              Ananda looks at her, confused. "... Yeah?" She blinks a few times, then elaborates. "Like chess pieces. Assets to achieve a goal."

Comment

• "And so we don't get hurt?"
                                My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Working...
                                X