Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideas on how to make rice less boring ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas on how to make rice less boring ...

I have enough rice to start my own restaurant, but I find rice to be pretty tasteless unless it's coated in gravy, which kind of negates any healthful properties it has ...

I got some rice at a restaurant recently and it was very nicely seasoned but I can't figure out how they did it. I tried adding dried spices to my cooked rice and it didn't help much.

If it matters, I have one bag of mixed white and wild rice and three bags of jasmine rice. I think that's all.

I'd love to get recipes or ideas for main or side dishes.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Cook your rice in broth or stock to add some flavour, or put the spices in the water as it's cooking.
    Use chicken or beef stock instead of water, or even a packet of onion soup mix added to the water.

I cook up about a pound of ground chicken with onions, peppers, and celery. I will add some poultry seasoning and a bit of garlic to the meat as it's cooking.
    Meanwhile, I will cook the rice in chicken broth or stock.

Once the rice is cooked, I add it to the pan with the ground chicken and mix it together, and add a bit of soy sauce to taste.

My granddaughter just loves it.
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I have been doing a basic fried rice seasoned with a mix of Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and oyster sauce. I usually scramble some eggs, set them aside, then fry some chopped bacon, throw the eggs and rice back in, add the sauce and then throw in some frozen peas corn and carrot.
      My partner likes adding sweet chilli sauce to plain rice

Comment

Make a basic pilaf.

Mince up a shallot (or 1/3 c minced onion with 1 clove crushed garlic) and soften in 2 tbsp. melted butter with 1 tsp kosher salt (or 1/2 tsp regular salt).
        Add 2 cups white rice and sautee over medium heat until just starting to get toasty (golden brown).
        Add 3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (or 2 cups broth and 1 cup dry white wine) along with 1 tbsp. dried parsley and 1/2 tsp black pepper.
        Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes until all liquid absorbed.
        Stir in 1 tsp lemon juice.
        Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Try making Dirty Rice or Jambalaya.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Buy a jar of sesame seeds, spread them out on a sheet and lightly toast them in the oven and put them back in the jar... then sprinkle those on your rice. That or a tad sprinkle of sesame oil. Om nom nom.
            "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Comment

Pizza Rice

Makes 14 servings
              (Ideal Slow cooker size: 4 quart)

2 cups white or brown rice, uncooked
              2 cups chunky pizza sauce
              3 1/2 cups water
              7-oz mushrooms, drained and rinsed
              3 oz turkey pepperoni, sliced
              1 cup grated reduce-fat cheddar cheese

1. Combine rice, sauce, water, mushrooms, and pepperoni in slow cooker. Stir.
              2. Cover. Cook on Low 4-6 hours, or on High 3-5 hours.
              3. Sprinkle with cheese before serving.

Comment

Aethian, that sounds delicious! I'm assuming you're not using instant rice, since this cooks for 4-6 hours? Am I correct?
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Your correct MoonCat. Using the instant makes it mush.

Comment

Substitute half your liquid with tomato juice when cooking the rice. Add beef cooked with taco seasoning and you have poor man's Spanish Rice.

Comment

I'm pretty lazy. I'll typically make a batch of white rice (in the microwave), then pour on a (microwave) container of a vegetable-rich soup. Campbells Chunky Sirloin Burger works pretty well.

Comment

in a reciepe I found, I was making steak tortillas, and they had me boil 1/4 salsa to 1/2 c of rice (adjust to proportions). gave the rice a nice little tang.

another (less healthy) way, is make rice like normal....ad butter and sugar to taste >.>

Mom says that's the only way she'd eat rice growing up.
                        It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post
                          another (less healthy) way, is make rice like normal....ad butter and sugar to taste >.>
                          If you make instant rice, let it sit it's five minuets, crack a egg and return it to heat while stirring constantly with the egg added. Also add in some sugar and when the egg is cooked you add milk and viola...rice cereal.

Comment

my family's favorite rice dish is pretty easy:

1 onion chopped fine (medium to large, Valida if you can get it)
                            3 cloves garlic minced
                            1 teaspoon italian seasoning (oregano, basil, parsley)
                            3 cups rice
                            2 tbls olive oil (regular not evoo)
                            5 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
                            salt and pepper to taste

in a dutch oven or similar sized pot heat the oil till it shimmers. saute the onion till its almost translucent and add the garlic. cook till you just smell the garlic then add the rice. toast the rice till its just turning a bit tan. toss in the herbs and broth. bring to a boil then drop the heat to low and cover. cook for about 25-30 min or untill the broth has been absorbed. fluff and serve. will feed 6-7 easily
                            This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
                            my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Look up Bimbimbap

Japanese use a seasoning called Furikake

I use Furikake and Natto and egg with my rice.

YUMMYY

Comment

Working...
                              X