Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or hell, come here for a visit. It was cold when I woke up this morning (-38C) but its warmed up now with all the sun (-26C). At least with the wind chill it feels much much colder.

It's just like really nice weather - unless you have to go outside!

The craziest this year was a few weeks ago, it was -18C and snowing. It usually just alternates between cold and snow, never both at once.
    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
      Hey, Jester and fireheart, do you need a vacation from all that nasty, awful, warm weather?

Come to Minnesota. It'll be a balmy -28F (-33.3C) Saturday night and an even balmier -32F (-35.5C) Sunday night (windchills below -50F) with a high of -15F (-26.1C) Monday.

Come and enjoy it!
      HEY that sounds really familiar. It should as I and a couple of other CS'ers are just to the east of you in eastern Cheeseheadland.

Sunday and Monday are gonna be real bitches to work. I would bet my next pay check that we are going to get blasted on Monday night when the air temps are -20F and the wind chills are -50F. I know during the nice little playoff home game on Sunday we are gonna get slammed like there's no tomorrow.

I just hope I can keep my car running and warm enough that we do NOT get cold pizza complaints.
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
        HEY that sounds really familiar. It should as I and a couple of other CS'ers are just to the east of you in eastern Cheeseheadland.

Sunday and Monday are gonna be real bitches to work. I would bet my next pay check that we are going to get blasted on Monday night when the air temps are -20F and the wind chills are -50F. I know during the nice little playoff home game on Sunday we are gonna get slammed like there's no tomorrow.

I just hope I can keep my car running and warm enough that we do NOT get cold pizza complaints.
        My car warms up FAST, but when it's really cold out, it doesn't warm up much. And, yeah, I'll also be watching that game. Should be interesting, and fun to watch, but no way I'd be at Lambeau in person. I know it's a sell out, but I bet there'll be a lot of empty seats.
        "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Hey, Jester and fireheart, do you need a vacation from all that nasty, awful, warm weather?

Come to Minnesota. It'll be a balmy -28F (-33.3C) Saturday night and an even balmier -32F (-35.5C) Sunday night (windchills below -50F) with a high of -15F (-26.1C) Monday.

Come and enjoy it!
          I'm gonna politely decline here. While your offer is quite generous, anytime a place has been noted for being colder than the surface of Mars, that is a place that I am going to go out of my way to go nowhere near.

Or top it more bluntly, oh HELL no!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

...no way I'd be at Lambeau in person. I know it's a sell out, but I bet there'll be a lot of empty seats.
            Not to mention the ones that will still hve fans in them a week later... stff with excitement.. or outrage!
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              I'm gonna politely decline here. While your offer is quite generous, anytime a place has been noted for being colder than the surface of Mars, that is a place that I am going to go out of my way to go nowhere near.

Or top it more bluntly, oh HELL no!
              But, Jester, I've got beer, lots of nummy beer (mmmmm Backpocket Dunkel). Come on, you'll like it. The Temp was 27 at 5:45, now at noon (or so) it's 10.
              "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

But, Jester, I've got beer, lots of nummy beer. Come on, you'll like it. The Temp was 27 at 5:45, now at noon (or so) it's 10.

I live not far from Jester, and have much the same weather as he, but unlike him, I actually like the cold weather and would happily go back to Fargo, ND if I could. I'd be happy to take you up on the offer of beer and subzero temps!

Yes, I do realize this makes me strange.
                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

But, Jester, I've got beer, lots of nummy beer (mmmmm Backpocket Dunkel). Come on, you'll like it. The Temp was 27 at 5:45, now at noon (or so) it's 10.
                  I love beer, but there is only so far I'll go for it. And temps that cold are too damn far for me to go!

The only exceptions to these I might make would be a free trip to tour the breweries of Innis & Gunn in Scotland, Guinness in Ireland, or one of several in Germany.

And I'm pretty sure that Scotland, Ireland, and Germany are all much warmer than Minnesota.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

The ongoing weather reports from the UK are quite hair-raising. The intense jetstream caused by the same phenomenon that's causing the ice-storms in America and Canada has produced a series of *really* severe wind- and rainstorms over Britain. This isn't about temperature, folks, this is about flooding. Lots and lots of flooding.

As one of the highlights, the promenade and seafront road at Aberystwyth has partly collapsed, the surviving parts have been covered in a thick layer of silt, and reportedly a line of houses is now acting as the sea wall after the real one got washed away.

Cliffs along several parts of the coastline have also collapsed after being eroded by the storms. In one place, an ichthyosaur fossil was uncovered by one storm, and was hurriedly retrieved by archeologists before it could be destroyed by the next one. Quite a few people have also been ignoring stern warnings to stay away from the coast, and at least a couple of people have been swept away as a result - Darwin Award nominees, I think.

Some houses and shops that were built in vulnerable locations have been flooded several times in the past two weeks. Honestly, there's probably a lesson in that...

The Severn, a very volatile river at the best of times, was shown on live TV with the water rising visibly (by several inches within a minute) as the reporter spoke. As with many other rivers, this was due to a combination of maximum spring tides, a tidal storm surge, and very high catchment runoff from already-saturated ground.

The Thames doesn't have a storm surge this time (opposite direction of wind), but the Thames Barrier has still been closed to protect London from the combination of spring tides and very high runoff from heavy rainfall. Flooding of low-lying areas upstream is expected and relatively harmless.

There were also reports of a "yellow snow warning" for the Cumbrian hills. Canadians may snigger, but it would have been better phrased as a "yellow warning of snow". Most of the rest of the country is just getting wind and rain - but lots of both.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                      Quite a few people have also been ignoring stern warnings to stay away from the coast, and at least a couple of people have been swept away as a result - Darwin Award nominees, I think.
                      Actually, it's the fault of the authorities. They should have issued bow warnings instead.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Booo...

Still, the good news for me is that the weather should calm down by midweek, when I'm supposed to be flying there for a job interview. I'm also hoping that the weather along the flight routes will be relatively calm by then.

Comment

I know it's a sell out....
                          Just barely though - took all the extension the NFL would give them.

Comment

Our grocery truck was only six hours late today because of the cold. Only. I felt sorry for the driver though... he was the one dealing with having to get the damn thing started, then stopping at least twice for repairs. He seemed to keep in good spirits, though. Also... a lot of frozen pipes are being reported in the area. Kind of scary!
                            "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Aaand it's officially a blizzard. No unnecessary travel, major roads closed, tractor-trailers stuck all over the place. Driving conditions tomorrow will be horrendous; if it gets bad enough they'll drop the banhammer on ALL travel, and the bus company might decide not to run the buses regardless of what the city says. Two to three feet of snow expected, depending on which area one lives in. Sometimes the snow falls very heavily in some areas and hardly touches others. It's the high winds and drifting that's a problem; that, and the below zero windchills.

Hey, Jester, Key West is lookin' mighty good right now!!
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

It's 27 degrees, and supposed to drop another 20 tonight.

My boss had a balmy high of -13 today so I can't even complain to him.
                                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                                X