Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drove through the Florida panhandle yesterday. It was as low as 21. I was LOVING it!!!!! My dogs, not so much, but the boys and I were in heaven with the winter temps. All of us miss winter, as strange as that sounds. And, for the record, we were dressed in shorts and sweatshirts and just fine.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
      I saw a guy in shorts this morning when the temperature was still hovering around zero.
      Oh, a Western New Yorker was there?
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Buddy of mine was posting about his trek to the store Monday when the temps started plummeting and he was still in his shorts. Also bartending through the storm, in shorts as well. Me? I got snowed in for a couple days at a friend's.

Comment

It's around 34F here and the salt trucks are out to melt the ice. I hope my brother gets home safe.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I love the 50 degree temp difference over the last 36 hours. -21F to +35F

YES finally it is shorts and tee-shirt weather again.

NOW if we could forestall the rain that will inveibaly freeze solid.

Thanks GOD I am on vacation this week.
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              Veeeeery windy today, and tomorrow it's supposed to drop down to 60F with more high winds.
              Remember that? Well, the next morning it was down to 56F, with big, big winds. And of course all the northern transplants were bundled up in sweatshirts and scarves and gloves. So, what did this cold-hating, heat-loving, winter-avoiding desert kid do? Rode my bicycle to work across the island (3.5 miles) in shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt. Because even I'm not that much of a pansy. Of course, I was getting the kinds of looks you'd see given to crazy people....and these from people who have actually shoveled snow in their lifetimes.

Apparently when you move to the tropics, you lose all sense of what cold really is.

On a positive note, over the next few days, it was windy and rainy and overcast, but the temps kept climbing back up, and our "winter" weather is now over, as today it's a lovely 77F, expected to hit a high of 82F later in the day. So rev up those snowballs you threaten me with every year....I'm back to sitting on my balcony, relaxing in my hammock chair sans shirt.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                So rev up those snowballs you threaten me with every year....I'm back to sitting on my balcony, relaxing in my hammock chair sans shirt.
                No snowballs, but if I ever find velcro ping pong balls....
                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

It's warm enough for me to only need a light fleece over my shirt outside, but not nice enough for open toed heels, thanks to the snow.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Over the next week, the temperatures are expected to be 40C+. I am working 4/5 of those days. Kill me now....

(fortunately 2 of those days are at other schools with smaller groups of students)
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                      ... the temperatures are expected to be 40C+.
                      Wow! There are plenty of places here in the States that cancel school for temps like that.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                        Wow! There are plenty of places here in the States that cancel school for temps like that.
                        We had school delayed Tuesday and Wednesday mornings due to the polar vortex (Tuesday's low was 4 degrees F and Wednesday was around 13 F.)

I had to chuckle when I was reading my FB Tuesday morning . . . one of my nephews posted that their schools were on delay by 2 hrs (same as down here - he's in Richmond, VA) and he stated that they should have just cancelled school altogether.

I don't recall having school cancelled b/c of cold weather . . . I recall plenty of mornings I had to walk to the next street over to wait for the bus without a proper winter coat. And I survived it just fine.

But I do recall those days when school let out early b/c it started snowing/sleeting . . . I had to wait at school for my Mom to pick me up (she forbade me to ride home on the school bus - back then we had HS kids driving and she didn't want to take a chance when weather was bad.) So I'd wait inside the ROTC classroom (which had a door that led to a side parking area) and Mom knew exactly where to find me.

And when one of my instructors said something about me not taking the bus home, my reply was pretty much this:

My Mama ain't gonna let me ride home on the bus with it snowing and sleeting out there. Besides, she's already left the house and on her way now. Now if you want, YOU can tell her when she gets here and see what she tells YOU.

Neither one of my instructors ever took that challenge.
                        Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 01-12-2014, 07:40 PM.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I can't swear at mother nature today. The bank next to work said 42F today, which is very nice for January.

Now I will swear because I got to work at 6:30 this morning, and didn't get done till 7PM. I missed it all.

Tomorrow it's supposed to only be 17F.
                          "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                            School holidays at the moment.

As far as school closures go, schools are airconditioned and they have policies in place for hot weather. SOME schools will close if the weather is not particularly forgiving, but these schools generally have broken or inefficient aircon.

Despite this however, a number of country schools and some metro schools in bushfire-prone areas will close if there's a high risk of a bushfire.
                            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                              So the last few days have been torture....43c, 40c and 38c.

I'm melting....
                              And now I have a mental image of fireheart in a swimsuit of cheese slices that are melting... bubbling... browning...
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                                And now I have a mental image of fireheart in a swimsuit of cheese slices that are melting... bubbling... browning...
                                Now I want grilled a cheese sandwich.
                                You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Working...
                                X