This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dating periods before engagement?

Just curious, how long were you and your SO dating before someone poppedthe question?

My partner and I have been dating for 5-and-a-half years now (it'll be 6 in July). Ever since we moved interstate and people have realised just how long we've been dating, the question has been "So when are you going to pop the question?"

I'm now keeping a running count-so far it's at 6. (SO and I did talk about this: neither of us can afford a wedding and while we know that having a small wedding is an option, it's not on the cards, plus I do not wear rings as I fidget constantly).

So how long was everyone else dating for? Engagement periods count too (ie you were dating for five, engaged for 4). My cousin and a friend of ours were dating for around 8 and 5 years respectively and engaged for a year in both cases.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Dating for 5 years, engaged for 1, married 10, known each other...yikes, 17.

Old.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

We'd been corresponding online for several months (with some phone calls) before we met in person. About three days after we met in person for the first time, I was wearing a ring.

We were engaged for a year, and have now been married for almost 20 (our anniversary is in April).

And you're not old, Ana, unless you were already late 20s or older when you met your spouse. I was 24 when I met DH, 25 when we got married.
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Was with my ex for seven, married for two and a half, engaged and living together/married for five. Met him right out of high school.

Comment

Marriage is not just about laws and legality. Marriage is also in the heart.

I would say you and him are already married in the most important place.

Though, legal marriage is nice for the legal benefits (in America, stuff like tax breaks and a few other things). I do not know what they are in Australia. But you can go to the Court House for a legal marriage certificate.
          I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

We knew each other for two years before we started dating. Then we dated for three years, were engaged for one (although I count his heartfelt "I would propose right now if I had a ring" on our goodbye after my graduation as a proposal), and married now for three.
            My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Dating for a year, living together about 6 months, married about 18 months after getting engaged.

Lasted just under 10 years when we were married... Should have been shorter tbh.

(another side of the coin: if you are a certain family member then engaged in under a month from meeting the person as far as we can tell.... may they be happy forever and keep their drama far away from me...)
              I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

We worked together, so, we met, went on one date, I told him to call me once he'd gotten his shit together. Three years later he did, we started dating. Three weeks later we were engaged, and making plans to live together. About 7 months after we got married. Married just over 2 years before he died.

Our families both worried that it happened too fast, but we spent three years getting to know each other well at work, had a connection the whole time, it just wasn't the right time for us. From their perspective we were together less than a year before we married, from ours, we waited for years.
                Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Let's see, we've been together for nearly two and a half years. We got engaged the end of June. And we got married Dec 21st this year. It was a small family wedding (30 people including us) and we'll have a much bigger one in a couple years when we actually have time to plan it.
                  "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Met January 8, 2013......moved in together December 1, 2013........ Popped the question January 22, 2014......getting married April 25, 2015.
                    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

We started dating in the 9th grade in June 1991. I don't think he ever really asked me to marry him, it was just assumed. Got married June 20, 1998 (2 days after I graduated college, don't recommend that)

Together 23 years now and can't image life without him
                      Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

I met Mrs. IA in August 1977. We moved in together in October 1977. We were engaged in January 1978. We were married in May 1978. Still going strong after almost 37 years.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Got together 6 October 2002
                          Got engaged 13 September 2012

Still not married We have never rushed into anything
                          Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

What's been the quickest from meeting to marrying? My friend's mum and dad met on a blind date New Year's Eve 82, got married in June 83....
                            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

My wife & I met in school...28 years ago!

We got reacquainted emailing online 8 1/2 years ago. After a few weeks of emailing we went on a date that ended 2 days after it started.

We moved in together 8 months later. We get engaged after 6 years dating/living together and got married 4 months after we got engaged.

We went with the smallest possible wedding (<$800 including her dress) while also insulting as many people as possible with our antisocial behavior because we had 0 guests.

Comment

Working...
                              X