Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've lived all over Canada and those pics make me glad I'm now in Calgary. We can count on regular Chinooks to melt all the snow. Although the ice can sometimes be really bad, if the snow melts but doesn't dry up before the freeze hits. ><

Still, it's nothing compared to the snow and ice I saw in Ontario. And don't even ASK me about Winnipeg..

Comment

Years ago, (back in the 90's) I was in High School and the school band had the trip of a life time. We got to go to Florida to take part in a music festival, and even put on concerts in Universal Studios and at a stage at Disney.

We went during our March Break (1st week of March), so we left deep snow, bitter cold and so forth and going to Florida (not the party beaches granted).

One thing I remember when we had day trips to Cocoa Beach and to a water park, was how the natives were telling us it was "too cold" for the beach or the waterslides. Meanwhile we were having a blast in temperatures that were basically mid summer for us.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        Today was the first day in months that people bitched about the cold here. It was down to 78. Possibly 76.

(No, I'm not kidding. Some people actually were bitching about the cold.)
        We southerners [one more so than the other] need to stick together
        ACNL Dream Address: 5300-6013-1370

Comment

I am in Ohio. The place that has a somewhat true statement : If you don't like the weather wait five minutes. Hot, mild, cold, rainy, dry, etc.. we get it all. Sometimes all in the same day.
          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            A CW of mine went to Florida once with family and the first day it was about 72. They were walking around in shorts & t-shirts, and all the locals were staring at them like they were nuts. The locals were wearing heavy coats.

You get acclimated to where you live, generally.
            Saw this all the time at college (northern Utah). You could usually tell where someone was from based on how they dressed in early October. People from the northernmost states and Canada were still walking around in shirtsleeves (and sometimes shorts) while those from SoCal and other parts south tended to wrap up in jackets and scarves, if not more.

And then of course there was the time I was walking through campus at the start of a light snowfall (first for the season) and got to overhear a freshman behind me start whining about the flurries. She kept complaining about how this was "way too much snow, just stop it already!" All I could do was shake my head and think, "If you think this is way too much snow, just stay inside come the end of January."
            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I know I have told this story before

WAY back right before Y2K

I chose a site in the LA area for my beta test bed for the company wide system upgrade for Y2K. I was scheduled to fly out to LA right after New Years to set things up and meet with the team out there.

3 Days before my flight Chicago got hit with a blizzard and bitterly cold temps. They got the airport all cleared out and the day I flew out (a Sunday) was bright and sunny but still cold (like 0F for the high temp).

I do my thing for 5 days in LA and I am at the airport ready to fly back to Chicago. As I was going through the security checkpoint (pre 9/11) the 2 "security" women were talking about how COLD it was that day (around 70 degrees with a light breeze). Now I had my heavy winter coat with me in addition to my small carryon bag. I just looked at them and said "WELL I am going back to Chicago where there is a foot of snow AND the high temp was around ZERO without the wind chill. NOW that is cold."
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Oh yes, then there was the year I went to Silver Spring, MD for union goon, uh, steward training...anyway, that was 2002. A month before that we'd had 7 feet of snow. Literally. Got to MD and it was chilly but hell, there were flowers blooming!

The second day, it snowed. Someone at the training looked outside and yelled, "It's up to half an inch already!" My CW from work who'd come with me just looked at me, and we started to laugh.

That night we were treated to the sight of a snowplow very busy pushing about an inch of snow around in a parking lot
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                  CURSES on you Jester....... I WILL get you next time...

Be prepared for the ice bath
                  Yeah, yeah, yeah...more empty threats.

Quoth mjr View Post
                  I live in Texas...76-78 is NOT cold...
                  Oh, I know that. I said some people were complaining. I didn't say *I* was one of them.

Quoth mjr View Post
                  We got there, and the high one of the days was 85. This was in July. I can't tell you how often I heard "It's so hot!"
                  I remember during my travels of the country in '98 & '99, I was in San Francisco one day when it was up to 85. I came into the restaurant I was working at, and one of the managers was wiping his brow from the heat. I said, "Dude, it's 85. It's not that hot." He just glared at me and said, "Well, not all of us are from the blast furnace you're from!" He had a point. Though I still don't think 85 is hot.

Quoth mjr View Post
                  I told them, "Wait a minute...let me tell you about hot. Hot is 90 degrees in the shade, and a high temperature of 100 degrees..."
                  Ahem....out in Phoenix, we don't even start talking about the heat until it tops 110.
                  Last edited by Jester; 10-27-2015, 10:13 AM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

There's a week in July that makes me believe that God doesn't think Texas is done cooking. Usually the temps top 100, and one year they were over 110...west Texas, where I'm from, has very little shade. People basically dart from air conditioning to car to air conditioning.

Comment

Working...
                    X