This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
    Hard to believe I was in flip flops and sandals earlier this month.
    correction 2 or 3 days before the storm hit.
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

UPDATE: I ordered a cappuccino machine on the 27th to get here the 29th (paid expedited shipping). Because of the storm it will now arrive on the 4th, the date it originally would've gotten here without the extra money. *sigh* I already talked to the store where I will be returning it (because now my old one has miraculously come back from the dead and I don't need the new one anymore). I will be getting that extra shipping refunded to me.

Oh, and I've discovered I can't get to or from work without treading ice and walking in traffic because what few sidewalks we do have in my neighborhood are covered waist-high. I guess the city doesn't care or they're waiting until after the holiday.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
        Oh, and I've discovered I can't get to or from work without treading ice and walking in traffic because what few sidewalks we do have in my neighborhood are covered waist-high. I guess the city doesn't care or they're waiting until after the holiday.
        WOW my town gives you maybe a week then they do it and bill the property owner directly.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
          WOW my town gives you maybe a week then they do it and bill the property owner directly.
          Lucky you. We get 24 to 36 hours after the snows stops, depending on the amount. I wouldn't mind it so much if the county actually got the streets cleaned that quickly.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

It's a revenue tool. They set a shorter deadline for you to shovel your sidewalk than the time it takes them to get around to plowing your street, then the plow throws the snow up onto the sidewalks. Now the sidewalks are snow-covered AGAIN, so they have another chance to catch you not shoveling them off in time.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
              I think these particular parts are actually the city's responsibility.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                It's a revenue tool. They set a shorter deadline for you to shovel your sidewalk than the time it takes them to get around to plowing your street, then the plow throws the snow up onto the sidewalks. Now the sidewalks are snow-covered AGAIN, so they have another chance to catch you not shoveling them off in time.
                The county will not hold us responsible for removing snow that is deposited by the snow plows. Which is good because that stuff is harder than rocks.

For thos interested: Snow removal ordinance.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  In my town and the surrounding areas there is not a lot of of the street parking. most houses have drive-ways. well you can guess what happens. My area does get to plowing in a reasonable time say up to 12 hours depending on the storm and when it disepates. The problems comes NOT with the plows dumping snow on the sidewalks BUT after you have cleared your sidewalk (required by local law), steps. walkway(s) and driveway BUT say in the case of last week the snowplows building a 3 feet high pile of HARD packed snow right in your newly cleared driveway. Which means you have not only shovel/clear with a snowthrower but it is 3x as hard to do which makes for even more work (physically) or more gas used in the snowthrower.

Comment

Of course, through the alchemy of the city plow, the "street snow" which the plow deposited in your driveway magically becomes "your snow", and therefore illegal to dispose of by putting it back in the street where it originated.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                      Of course, through the alchemy of the city plow, the "street snow" which the plow deposited in your driveway magically becomes "your snow", and therefore illegal to dispose of by putting it back in the street where it originated.
                      They can "try" to make it "illegal" but 99% of the time unless they say actually observe you putting to back out in the street, there are few if any consequences. Just a small hillock of snow that I have to driver over every time I either back out of MY driveway or I run into while driving down any street in my delivery area.

Comment

Here in Finland it isn't actually snowing yet - or at least not much. There's enough on the ground to make it entirely unambiguous that it's winter (even if you're not standing in the cold wearing several more layers than usual), but there's no need to clear it from anywhere except the road itself.

Comment

The way my driveway sits, coupled with how my street intersects the hwy running through town(it's not called main street, but it is the main street, lol) means that the plow drivers try to drop the snow in my yard(and consequently driveway) rather than having to make a turn and deal with merging while laden down. I easily get twice the plow berm as my buddy who lives a block further away from the hwy on the same street I do. I've had to break out the chainsaw to deal with the plow berm left at the end of the driveway before because it was a wet, slushy snow that froze. Could have made an igloo, the blocks were that solid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                            Really - this has been the damnedest winter in a long time - blasted El Nino!
                            hey shhhhhhh don't be mad with the El Nino! its great for us here in Arizona we need the moisture.

[pets the little El Nino] its ok little guy i love you.

Comment

Yeah, I'm liking the little guy, too, given how dry California's been.

Just stay in the West, OK, Ninito? We love you a lot more here than people in the East do.
                              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Working...
                              X