Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tearaway is also a good one. Light hearted, fun, should keep one busy for a while. :-) I have the first on the Vita and the new one for PS4. Little Big Planet 3 is fun also.

Comment

So I tried to play GTA V last night. I can't drive. I really can't drive. It's comical how bad my driving was. I think I need more practice. The kids won't like that though. lol.

I'm going to do as suggested and search youtube for playthroughs of the games suggested here. My budget is tight (especially shelling out for a new TV and making up the difference to buy the system), so I just want one game for now, and then I'll make a wish list for the future.

Of course, at the moment, the TV is currently in use by the youngest who's making quick progress of Lego Batman 3, so I won't be able to practice my driving any time soon.

Oh, and one more question: I think I've decided that as a large, combined birthday present for the boys (their birthdays are all within 6 weeks of each other), I'm going to buy another TV and gaming system. I had pretty much decided on an Xbox One, since there are a few exclusive games for each system, so having both could be cool, but then I discovered Playstation TV yesterday. The box for that is far cheaper than a new console, so I could potentially buy two new TV's with two PlaystationTV boxes, and that gives the kids one system each, though two of them would just be online/network stuff. Gah. I don't know what to do!
      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

I don't know which consoles they're available for, but I thoroughly enjoy the Elder Scrolls and Dragon Age serieses. (sp?)
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I checked - While Sony announced that they're working on some form of true backwards compatibility in mid-November, they were speaking mostly of PS2 games -- Some PS3 games are available for digital rental, though (ugh). If, in time, you and the family find a large number of PS3 games you want to play, it may be cheaper to just buy a refurbished "slim" PS3 -- they should drop to $100 or less soon, if they aren't there already.

Seshat - Since ye asked: It's "series," whether singular or plural.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Thank you. I could have looked it up, I guess.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I'll chime in as someone that doesn't play and say that based on what my coworkers say about Fallout4 that it's worth a look. Little big planet seemed to be fun to play too.

Comment

Gonna echo "Shadows of Mordor" as a lot more fun than you'd think. The developers put some good effort into developing Mordor into more than just a breeding ground for Orcs (or Uruks, as the game calls them) and other evil things, showing that there had been a human civilization there at one point. And the Nemesis system is a fantastic innovation that I'm waiting to see resurface in some other game.

Basically, if an orc kills you, they get promoted. That orc will be given a name and usually some sobriquet (Gormaz the Filthy or some such), and they'll become an officer in the orc military. At that point, you can kill Gormaz's captain, in which case they get promoted again, or if they manage to kill you again, they get stronger. You can promote them all the way to Warchief, even. When you finally kill them, they drop runes, which are power-ups/buffs. Every orc officer has strengths (Gormaz could be immune to arrows, for instance) and weaknesses (terrified of fire). If you exploit the weaknesses, you can nullify their immunities.

I'm just getting into Fallout 4 myself, and while I'm not too deep into the main quest yet (I've reached Diamond City and the next step of the main quest involves finding a detective somewhere near Goodneighbor), I've had fun doing some of the side quests. Presently, I'm in with the Minutemen, and have an open invitation from the Brotherhood of Steel so far. I've got a few companions unlocked, though I've so far stuck with Dogmeat, because 'oo's a good boy, yus he is.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I'm going to second the recommendations for Ico/Shadow of the Colossus and the Kingdom Hearts HD remixes (1.5 and 2.5), if you like fantasy. LEGO Marvel Superheroes is actually lots of fun and has good humor in it.

I'll also throw in a recommendation for Child of Light. It's a turn-based RPG in a fantasy setting, and the battle system reminds me a fair bit of Grandia II, which I enjoyed a lot when I had it on Dreamcast.

At the moment, the bulk of my Playstation fare comes from my Playstation Plus subscription, so it tends to be a bit of everything. I found I really enjoyed Teslagrad when it came up on the list of free games, but I only recommend that if you don't mind dying frequently, and potentially getting frustrated with boss fights that require learning patterns and timing.

If it's available for PS4 (I don't know; I have a PS3), Journey is also a good game to get.

As for other suggestions that are generally smaller games.... I don't know if you like games for puzzles, or for implied (or overt) story, or similar, but three others I've found (two through PS+ and one via demo) are Hohokum (a brightly colored puzzle-type game as you play hide-n-seek with snake-creatures), The Swapper (a sometimes-frustrating puzzler that involves a device that creates clones), and The Unfinished Swan (a first-person POV game about a little boy exploring what appears to be a storybook world while following the titular swan).
                  "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                  - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

The main PS4 game I've been playing lately is Witcher III: The Wild Hunt. Love the game, though I can't recommend it for the kids, too many mature topics and it can get kind of dark at times.

Comment

Quoth BearLeeBadenaugh View Post
                      The main PS4 game I've been playing lately is Witcher III: The Wild Hunt. Love the game, though I can't recommend it for the kids, too many mature topics and it can get kind of dark at times.
                      Boyfriend played that recently and enjoyed it, but it didn't grab my attention. You can't customize your character at all which doesn't affect actual game play, still, it's one of those details that can make a game more enjoyable (at least to me).
                      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I'll bend more classical in my suggestions:

Dark Cloud 2 is a fun little action/RPG, and one of the PS2 games getting ported in the new backwards compatibility push. I still pop it in once in awhile, and the graphics hold up fairly well.

Persona 4: Golden is an excellent JRPG, and you don't need to have played the earlier ones to enjoy it. Great characters and a deep story with layers depending on how much of the mystery you get through. I've put in over 200 hours on my Vita with this one with various playthroughs, but I think you can play it on the PS4, too.

Disgaea: any Fun strategy RPG series with kooky characters, ridiculous plots, and long-lasting gameplay depending on how much you put into it. Each game mostly stands on its own, relying more on cameos to tie the series together. Excellent for the evil-overlord-in-training.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Fiance and I are playing Divinity and having a ball.

Comment

<emerges from beneath a dark ocean of bitterness and obscurity>

Child of Light is fantastic if a bit straight forward ( Ori and the Blind Forest is also great ). Really, I would look more into the PSN store. There are a number of older / obscure / indie titles on the PSN store for cheap. If you got a new PS4 you likely got a PS Plus subscription with it. PS Plus gives you a few free games every month. The HD remaster of Grim Fandango is up for free this month if I recall. The previously owned section on Best Buy is usually good for snagging older titles on the cheap too.

Fallout 4 is solid even if FPS isn't your thing since you can slow it down with VATS if you don't want too much twitchy shooty. You will basically never uncover every square inch of stuff it has in it unless you devoted yourself to it as a career.

If you're looking more loot hack and slashy the PS4 version of Diablo 3 is frankly better than the PC version and even has split screen couch co-op. If you're leaning more story JRPG style there is a new Tales Of game on the PS4.

ICO / Shadow of Colossus will break your heart. The Last Of Us will break your soul. Fair warning.

<Slowly returns to the depths as the faint reflection of moonlight ripples across a black, unforgiving sea.>

Comment

Working...
                            X