This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth EricKei View Post
    It's that second bit that's the hard part. Even the mighty Google isn't doing so well on that front.
    That's very, very true. I actually have a Google+ account, but I rarely use it. I should start, though.

But you're right. I don't know how many people who use FB know about Google+, and from what I understand, there are a number of people who use Google+ who don't use FB, and see it sort of as "MySpace".
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
      That's very, very true. I actually have a Google+ account, but I rarely use it. I should start, though.

But you're right. I don't know how many people who use FB know about Google+, and from what I understand, there are a number of people who use Google+ who don't use FB, and see it sort of as "MySpace".
      I have a Google+ account, but I don't care for the format of it, the circle thing, all that. Facebook just seems simpler

Comment

Well, all of this has just confirmed that I DON'T want a Facebook account. I hate the idea of being forced to use my real name. I went to school with a lot of assholes and while I have no reason to think they'd contact me, I don't feel like taking the chance. Plus, I'd have to be extra careful in relation to comments about work. No thanks.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          Well, all of this has just confirmed that I DON'T want a Facebook account. I hate the idea of being forced to use my real name. I went to school with a lot of assholes and while I have no reason to think they'd contact me, I don't feel like taking the chance. Plus, I'd have to be extra careful in relation to comments about work. No thanks.
          Likewise. I have a Facebook account under my online name, but I almost never use it. If I'm gonna get forced to use my real name, then forget it.

Besides, The Client where I work is leery about social media, and I don't doubt that my not having a Facebook account when they started interviewing me was a key factor in my security clearance going through so quickly.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            This goes the same thing for me. Not that I went to school (primary or secondary) with assholes, but still..... with work yeah that might be a problem.

I DO NOT want my real name out there Thank you
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I only have a Google+ account because at some point they "encouraged" it with Youtube accounts. The main problem I have is that I have separate Youtube and Gmail usernames, since I'd set up my Youtube account prior to Google acquiring it (it was for posting videos of my oldest when she was a toddler so my family could see, nothing more). I can switch between the two usernames as much as I want, but I have no e-mail attached to the Youtube username, and Google+ is not set up for the Gmail username. Doesn't stop Google from getting confused when my sisters set up a Hangout and the invite goes to my Gmail name instead of the Youtube name, so for quite a while I'd try to join the Hangout only to be told by Google that I had to set up Google+ first. But when I'd have my sisters send the invite to the correct username, it'd go to my Gmail instead. Hangouts have finally just stopped working for my Youtube username for some inexplicable reason, but Google seems to have also just set up a basic Google+ for the Gmail name so that it can at least get on Hangouts. It's...frustrating and complicated and dumb, if you ask me.
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

FB somehow connected the info I used there (not my real name, but close enough to fool their system) with my real name--which now shows up on FB--LinkedIn email addy (I do not want those two accounts connected, at least not in an obvious way) and two other pseudonyms I use...how did they pull that off?
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

DS - Wouldn't take much. If both sites have info in common such as your address (snailmail or email) or phone number, it would be a sinch. If your work history is on FB, it could be easily correlated with your LinkedIn work record. Hell, they could probably do it just by comparing your FB Friends list to your LI Connections list! Maybe checked for the same I address, even.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Phone number could be it...but I never had a phone number on LI. The pseudonyms is mystifying (the forums I used them on had no info that could have made a FB connection). Who the hell knows how they connected the dots. I might back up all my FB contacts, nuke it and start over using a spare email that I would only use for that.

Apparently mom has a Facebook account (or so they tell her), but she's unable to recover the password.
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                    X