Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She's getting strength back in her arms enough to bring food to her mouth, somewhat. She still doesn't have the dexterity yet but she's getting closer to feeding herself regularly now. And she's getting more comfortable with sitting in a chair again as opposed to lying in the bed.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Well, she apparently was retaining too much fluids so she's back on the catheter. That's really the extent of the bad news though. Her upper body is getting stronger and she's almost able to feed herself reliably now, though between eating and the physio exercises it's pretty tiring for her.
      I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Awesome that she's doing so well! Hope that she continues to improve at a steady pace.

Comment

Some really good news today. She's clear of infection. Now it's just working on getting her strength up.
          I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Excellent! Sometimes it takes baby steps.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Yay! It sounds like she's in excellent care and it just takes time. I'm glad she's doing better.

Comment

Dad talked to the dietitian today and was given some paperwork about Chronic Kidney Disease, mainly dietary habits and changes. Nothing really stuck out to me apart from the not adding salt while cooking despite saying to lessen processed foods (which has more salt in it than I use while cooking). That said that info is a general guideline and it's up to the doctor and dietitian to make the final call as her kidneys are still improving.

As for physio today they used a counterbalance system to get her to start standing and it hurt her a fair bit. Not unexpected as she hadn't really used her legs in over a month now.
                I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Still hoping and praying for her.
                  1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                  -----
                  http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Well she's out of danger at this point. Now it's a matter of getting her walking again (which was rough for her before but with being bed ridden for a month her legs have atrophied) and a monitored diet for her kidney improvement.

On Wednesday some relatives stopped by and were going to send her flowers. Mom nixed the idea because they die too quickly. So yesterday she got an edible bouquet that Dad figures is about 5 pounds of fruit. They've both had some and brought some home for me to munch on. The rest will probably be coming home today to preserve it longer.
                    I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Well she's standing. With support but the support is decreasing and she's standing longer. Now we're more going into her dietary capabilities. I really need someone to let me know what mineral and nutrient levels she's capped at so I can work with it instead of giving me vague lists of food that she can and can't have.
                      I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Little by little. That is the way it is done.

Looking forward to hearing the continuing good news.
                        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                        Save the Ales!
                        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Yay, more good news!

I'd rather have more concrete numbers with regards to food, too. That way, you have a much better way of judging all the stuff that's not on either list.
                          1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                          -----
                          http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Sorry I haven't put up an update in a while, between work and other events It's been a little off putting for me.

So, her birthday was yesterday and she got a great present from the hospital: a discharge. She's not home yet but in a sub-acute care facility where the goal is to get her able to go home again. Prior to this she's been up and active.

Bad news first is I saw her leg wounds exposed for the first time yesterday and they do not look pretty. The only saving grace on that is according to Dad and the hospital staff they were improving. Also I did get the full run down of what she suffered from while in ICU. It was both bacterial meningitis and e coli combined with the UTI and Renal Failure. Those all have been cleared up though her kidneys are at about half optimal capability.

That said she's getting to places largely solo and the major thing holding her back is the leg which is still keeping her too weak to handle stairs. Once that's dealt with (a slow process because she's anemic) she should be on the fast track home. The hospital staff are all surprised at just how quickly she's been advancing so hopefully she'll be back by the end of the month.
                            I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

And now for the conclusion to this escapade. After three and half months...

Mom has returned home.

She's still not as physically stable as she was and may never be, but she's home and she's happy and that's all that matters. We'll have challenges but we'll deal with them as they come.

Once again I want to thank everyone for your support, it meant a great deal to me during these very long months.
                              I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

That is such excellent news! May she continue to improve.
                                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                                My LiveJournal
                                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                                X