This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Let's follow up on a few films:
    High Noon: it's alright, I don't mind old westerns but I think this might be the first Gary Cooper I've seen. Basically criminal got out of jail and is coming back for revenge on the sheriff. The sheriff that day retired, got married and was about to leave town forever. His sense of honor doesn't let him abandon the town but the movie is actually him trying in vain to find anyone at all to stand with him against the criminal gang and then the end is his last stand. It's an interesting take on western films, from the description I saw I had expected old school die hard not that.

The Book Thief: a very touching story about an adopted girl in germany as they go through WW2. Took me a minute to realize the adoptive father was Barbossa from Pirates. Overall it's a really good film but it's... it's about a family in Germany during WW2 it ends exactly as you expect it to end. Still I like films like this, reminding you there were real people there and not some monolithic badguy country.

Perks of Being a Wallflower: depressed kid starts high school and makes friends who are seniors. This movie is very excellent and I really liked it but I also had a very big emotional reaction to it. I highly recommend it but am not going to talk about it very much.

The Omega Man: meh. no seriously meh. It's ok I don't mind old cheesy sci fi but honestly I think I actually prefer I am Legend with Will Smith really showing the isolation's effects on him. Basically Charlton Heston starts in a post apocalyptic world as the last man alive and is immune to the plague. There are mutants who are crazy and can't come out into the light and hate the old world. It was alright.

of this batch Book Thief and Wallflower were the winners but no bad ones.

remaining queue:
    Bringing up Baby.
    Closely Observed Trains.
    Keeping Mum
    Metropolis

could not find a copy of miss nobody.
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

I'd second someone else's suggestion of Drop Dead Gorgeous. A dark comedy of a mockumentary of a small-town beauty pageant in Minnesota. It's eminently quotable and quoted in our house all the time!

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
        remaining queue:
        Bringing up Baby.
        Closely Observed Trains.
        Keeping Mum
        Metropolis
        Which version of Metropolis is queued up, the (nearly) restored version or the '84 version with revised soundtrack?
        "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

One thing I forgot to mention when I suggested it is that High Noon is a "real time" movie (in the original theatrical cut, the clock in the sheriff's office tracked theater time minute-for-minute). Did you notice that? This was repeated in Outland (with Sean Connery) - one review summed it up as "High Noon in space".
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I'd go for Gregory's Girl- very sweet little film from the super Bill Forsyth.

and Pleasantville-what seems to be a rather syrupy film gets dark and has some super social commentary in.And there's a neat little trick that starts to arrive halfway through...

...Nope...you want the next thread along....that way....
            Last edited by EricKei; 10-17-2016, 02:01 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts
            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

You didn't like THE OMEGA MAN? Personally my brother and I did, although writer Richard Matheson didn't like it either. You might want to try THE LAST MAN ON EARTH with Vincent Price, which was the first adaptation (I AM LEGEND was the third), but Matheson hated it too despite the fact it follows the book pretty closely.

Then of course you need to watch SOYLENT GREEN...

Comment

this took off a bit. a lot of people replied after I said I had my current list.... I'll decide what to do about that later.... But as for replying.

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                I also tend to assume people have seen certain movies like The Godfather (love) and Dirty Dancing (hate), and Jaws (eh) so I don't even bother mentioning those.
                well there are 3 flaws with that assumption....

Suggestions:
                Heksubah, Everything Is Illuminated
                cindybubbles, The Chipmunk Adventure
                Becks, Bridge of Spies.
                TheSHAD0W, Oscar
                El Pollo Guerrera, Battle Beyond the Stars
                taxguykarl We're the Millers
                Sliceanddice, ice pirates
                Antares, Dorkness Rising
                EricKei, Wolf
                Bloo, drop dead gorgeous.

Immortal1982, Summer Wars. seen it

Kit-Ginevra, Gregory's Girl;pleasantville Kit-Ginevra is disqualified for not following the rules
                mjr, Young Frankenstein; Monty Python and the Holy Grail; or almost anything Mel Brooks mjr is disqualified for not following the rules
                eltf177, The last man on earth; soylent green; eltf177 is disqualified for not following the rules.
                Ironclad Alibi, The Titfield Thunderbolt; Forbidden Planet; Stardust; Gorky Park; Ironclad is disqualified for not following the rules.

"In English recommend a movie, one per person no recommending a series, pick one, if I haven't see it goes in the queue."

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                You didn't like THE OMEGA MAN?
                I really don't know how to respond without being snarky, that would be what I said.

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
                Which version of Metropolis is queued up, the (nearly) restored version or the '84 version with revised soundtrack?
                dunno, I'll say which version I watched when I talk about it after watching it.

Quoth wolfie View Post
                One thing I forgot to mention when I suggested it is that High Noon is a "real time" movie (in the original theatrical cut, the clock in the sheriff's office tracked theater time minute-for-minute). Did you notice that? This was repeated in Outland (with Sean Connery) - one review summed it up as "High Noon in space".
                I didn't notice the clock no but could tell it was real time.

Comment

so I reached a point where the "random recommendation movie" queue was sitting with 4 movies for a couple weeks and I had no urge to finish it so I'm calling it there. Over all It was actually really neat to try a lot of different things. the full list of movies I watched:
                  The Wind Rises, How to rob a bank, Holy Mountain, Rear Window, Brother Bear, Dr, Strangelove, Pink Panther, Pi, Perks of Being a Wallflower, strings, Airplane, the book thief, high noon, the omega man. Girl who lept through time, cloud atlas.

of the ones I've watched so far let's do some quick awards.
                  Safest Film to watch with your parents: The book thief.
                  Movie I think I had actually seen before but didn't remember: Airplane

Movie with the most interesting world: Strings
                  Movie with the most horrifying implications: Strings
                  Movie that affected me the most: Perks of Being a Wallflower

Movie that was the most fun: how to rob a bank
                  Movie that was the most pretentious: The holy mountain
                  Movie that I'd most recommend to others: Perks or Cloud Atlas

Most creative movie... that's a tough one Strings, Cloud Atlas spring to mind but there's definite creativity in the others
                  Movie with the most exercise in their underwear in front of an open window: rear window

Movie I'd recommend if someone wants to try something different: Pi or Strings
                  Movie that is just nice to watch: The Wind Rises

Comment

Working...
                  X