This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
    I feel the same way about loads of popular tv shows. Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, etc. "Hey, let's make a show as depressing as possible and kill all the good characters, that means it's deep and meaningful!"
    As opposed to making the good characters immune, thus who gives a crap since they are never actually in any danger?
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Remember the old series "Tour of Duty"? It was about an infantry platoon during the Vietnam war - and there were articles in the Entertainment section of the paper a few months into its run about the decision to kill off one of the "regulars".
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Sliceanddice, I agree. I thought I was alone in detesting Star Wars. I have my reasons, which I don't feel like listing here.
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

We all know where debates and disagreements go, ladies and gents. Feel free to start a topic along those lines there and link it in here.
          Quoth Kristev View Post
          which I don't feel like listing here.
          Thank you.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Told a co-worker I saw Rogue One. She said "no spoilers!"

I didn't give any, but I told her that apparently some people are spelling it "Rouge One" (because I suppose they are unsure about the spelling of "rogue"). Her reply: "Those people shouldn't see the movie..."
            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
              Heard a coworker say she never falls asleep during movies ... but she dozed off during this one. Methinks she wasn't too impressed by it.
              Hah! The guy behind me in the cinema fell asleep during the movie - and was talking in his sleep. His friends were in hysterics. Most of the time it was just mumbling but every once in a while he'd belt out something unintelligible at the top of his lungs. Given how much of a hoopla his friends were throwing (there were something like fifteen of them, all jammed in the same row, all acting like they were at home watching the Rocky Horror Picture Show) a lot of people didn't get much out of the movie.

Comment

Seems very much love it or hate it, frankly. I liked it, and whilst some of the cameos were pointless or annoying, there were some very nice waves to other films - such as the specific call sign. The first half could have done with being trimmed somewhat, maybe tightened up in many areas, whereas the action in the second half was gorgeous.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                  apparently some people are spelling it "Rouge One" (because I suppose they are unsure about the spelling of "rogue"). Her reply: "Those people shouldn't see the movie..."
                  I remember a cartoon posted on a physics prof's door. It showed a chain link fence with a sign on it. The sign said "No admittance to people who say 'nucular'".

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                    I liked it, and whilst some of the cameos were pointless or annoying, there were some very nice waves to other films - such as the specific call sign. The first half could have done with being trimmed somewhat, maybe tightened up in many areas, whereas the action in the second half was gorgeous.

Rapscallion
                    I loved the fact that they finally answered a question that's been bouncing around fandom since 1977.

SPOILER!
                    SPOILER!
                    SPOILER!
                    SPOILER!
                    SPOILER!
                    SPOILER!
                    SPOILER!
                    SPOILER!
                    SPOILER!
                    SPOILER!
                    SPOILER!
                    SPOILER!
                    SPOILER!
                    SPOILER!
                    SPOILER!
                    SPOILER!
                    SPOILER!
                    SPOILER!
                    SPOILER!
                    SPOILER!
                    SPOILER!
                    SPOILER!
                    SPOILER!
                    SPOILER!
                    SPOILER!
                    SPOILER!
                    SPOILER!
                    SPOILER!

One question fans (and detractors) have been asking for decades is "Why, if you're building a terror weapon like the planet-killing Death Star, would you have such a glaring weakness as a reactor that can take out the whole thing if you fire just right at the exhaust port?" Answer? One of the main scientists (who's been forced to work for you after you killed his wife and (possibly) killed his daughter) snuck it in there deliberately before leaking the info to the Rebel Alliance.
                    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                      One question fans (and detractors) have been asking for decades is "Why, if you're building a terror weapon like the planet-killing Death Star, would you have such a glaring weakness as a reactor that can take out the whole thing if you fire just right at the exhaust port?" Answer? One of the main scientists (who's been forced to work for you after you killed his wife and (possibly) killed his daughter) snuck it in there deliberately before leaking the info to the Rebel Alliance.
                      Translation: We needed an excuse to shut the people up and this worked well enough.
                      I AM the evil bastard!
                      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                        Translation: We needed an excuse to shut the people up and this worked well enough.
                        Worth it, though!
                        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Sounds like the spoiler "borrowed" and expanded on Hogan's closing line from one episode of Hogan's Heroes. After a bridge was destroyed, the prisoners were going to be used as labour to rebuild it. Another prisoner asked why he was enthusiastic about it, his response was "It will be the only bridge in the world with a built-in bomb".

More on the spoiler:That was stupid of the empire to kill his family in order to force him to work for them. By killing the family, they've neutralized their ability to threaten him with "Do this or we'll kill your family". Highlight to see it.

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                            I'll agree on this.

I saw it today and, well, I enjoyed it very much so.
                            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Hubby, Son, and I went and saw it this afternoon. Very enjoyable and I plan to see it again. Was son's 3rd time seeing it.
                              The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Saw it, loved it right up there with Empire.

Spoilers: And I called it:

About A month ago I told my wife, "The movie should end with a tragic victory. they should get the plans out, but all of them should die in the process."
                                Last edited by Rodimal; 12-24-2016, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X