This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally bit the bullet and am starting Uni

After a few too many years of being stuck in stupid jobs with stupid bosses, I have just applied to uni. I'm going to be studying Bachelor of Arts (Librarianships & Corporate Information Management).

It's a 3 year course and will be all online. Which means no panic attacks at the thought of having to be in a classroom. And it is all government funded and will only be paying back the loan once I start earning over the threshold.

Hard to believe that I'm going back to study at the age of 32.

Now to find a 1-2 day a week job to top up my student allowance/benefits.

Please tell me I'm not totally bonkers.
    A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

*cheers for you*
    AkaiKitsune
    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Congrats on going to uni! I went back at 35 so no, you're not bonkers

Comment

Good Job!!Congratz.. I went back when I was around 30 for the same reasons.. Never regretted it..
        Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

I agree you're not bonkers...at least no more than other undergrads I've known.
          Good that the partying potheads are long gone--you'll be able to get some serious studying done.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

No, you're not 'bonkers'; I went back at 39, now I'm in IT on my 5th year at my school job thanks to my degree Good Luck!

Comment

No more bonkers than the rest of us. I'm 42 and I'm even considering it.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

You are not bonkers for bettering yourself!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I've had a few people call me an idiot for doing it. Most of my immediate circle are supportive though.

And the people who haven't been nice are being put on a low info diet because they can take a long walk off a short pier.
                  A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
                    I've had a few people call me an idiot for doing it. *snip* And the people who haven't been nice are being put on a low info diet because they can take a long walk off a short pier.
                    Quite right too. Sounds like someone's jealous that you're willing and able to put the effort in that they couldn't/wouldn't with the potential to end up in a better place than them financially.
                    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I went back at 30 for journalism ... and when that industry imploded, I returned again (to a two-year college program), three years ago, at age 56, for a little piece of paper that assures potential employers I can do office work.

And if I didn't have piffly little things like rent and internet and gas to worry about, I'd be back in uni even now.

So no, you are absolutely not bonkers. I think greek_jester is right: those people calling you an idiot are jealous ... because they'd like to do the same, but can't get up the nerve to do so.
                      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I hope it isn't like the business degree program at the yokel UofU that popped up in the CS ad stream: No Exams! No Tests! No Papers!
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                          I hope it isn't like the business degree program at the yokel UofU that popped up in the CS ad stream: No Exams! No Tests! No Papers!
                          No, it's an online degree through a group of uni's that have basically all joined together so they don't have to run half full classes. Most of my classes are through one uni, with a couple through 2 other uni's. All 3 are big names and funnily enough they are all located in different states.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                            INo Exams! No Tests! No Papers!
                            Now that's my type of school

On a serious note I don't know how u would expect to get a job with out exp or looking into things I would feel

With that being said OP that's great I am only 28 this year but went back and not can not finish I would love to but I need time to devote to school and well I am the only supporter of my family and my son is special needs to it is hard for me to get back into school at the moment however congrats on going back !

Comment

Congratulations on going back!!!! Having just graduated this Christmas after going back in my early 30s, I applaud your willingness to go back.

Don't know if your school (or country if your outside the USA) has this accreditation, but if your going into anything associated with a business degree see if the school has an AACSB accreditation. It's an extremely high honor for a school to get that and it's beyond a schools normal accreditation.

Best of luck and I have faith you will come through with 98% of your sanity remaining!!!
                              It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Working...
                              X