Tabletop Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random Adventurers League session--

Different table/DM than usual, cuz our regular DM had a work thing and had to cancel. So I'm playing my Level 6 Inquisitive Rogue for this. Minmaxer is back from his trip and is playing at the table as well. We're joined by this father and his hyperactive not-yet-teenage son. (While I can't fault their enthusiasm, I've decided I don't really want to play with them. The son wants to be the one rolling every skill check, even if someone else is the one doing the talking/RPing or has the higher score, and he just can't sit still. It was fine the first time we played, but started to wear on me and this time it just got to be a little too much.)

Still a fun session. It involved trying to find some treasure in a crypt hidden in Waterdeep's cemetery, the City of the Dead. However, we were all getting distracted by table talk and banter, even the DM, until the DM kept having to interrupt to try to start the session by going, "THE CITY OF THE DEAD!" Which just got us laughing, distracted again, and he'd have to try to get us un-derailed again. Became a running gag through the session, whenever we'd veer off too much-- someone would declare, "THE CITY OF THE DEAD!"

We find this one crypt in the cemetery that looked like the one we were searching for. As the Rogue, I start trying to pick the locks, but I roll low. So some patrolling guards spot us. This led to some fun roleplay as we tried to bluff our way through, but the guards saw through it and kicked us out. Stuff happened, and we eventually got let back in to the cemetery and led to the correct crypt, and we find the dungeon beneath it.

At this point, my Rogue-- despite having a high perception bonus-- is toward the middle/back of the marching order (the son's Warlock is out in front), when we come across another set of doors. Before any trap-checks can be done, Warlock pushes at the doors, which swing open on well-oiled hinges. This caught us all by surprise, for a moment. Then I, jokingly, dipped into my character voice and said, "There ya go! I'm just that good!"

This got some laughs, which got louder when Minmaxer looked at me slyly and went, "Insight check!" and rolled his d20. But he rolled a Nat-1. This got more laughs, and Minmaxer just went, totally serious, "And I believe you." Then the son decided to do an Insight check as well-- and also rolled low. Another player, who was running an Artificer, decided to join in the Insight check, and also rolled low.

Laughter and banter continued for a minute or so, until the DM (who had taken the interim to start drawing some maps on his battlemat) cleared his throat. I immediately stopped with the banter: "So anyway-- THE CITY OF THE DEAD!"

Still good fun, but looking forward to resuming Spelljammer next week.

ETA: Minmaxer and I shared some fun with puns and other jokes during some of the banter. At one point, he made a bad pun that had me pointing at the door and going "Get out." But he got me back when we were discussing Spelljammer, and I commented--

J2K: It didn't come up last week, which is a shame, cuz I had an excuse for why Snirk (Minmaxer's bugbear fighter) wasn't present for the fighting.
    Minmaxer: Oh yeah?
    J2K: Yeah. There's this malady that affects some people on their first trip to wildspace, it's an affliction of the joints. Common name for it is Dizza Knee.
    Minmaxer: (groans) (points to the door) Get out!
    Last edited by Jay 2K Winger; 09-30-2022, 07:51 PM.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Been playing a whole lot of Mahjongg lately. No, not the solitaire tile-matching thing. (Well, I've been playing that too!) But the Chinese Gin-Rummy-With-Tiles game. A neighbor introduced us to it and we've got a whole group of people playing a couple of times a week!
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

No context quote from my Paladin from the Curse of Strahd campaign--

"Am I going to have to smite this pie?!"
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

Did a fun Halloween-themed one-shot run by one of the game store employees last weekend. PCs were all inspired by classic movie monsters (the Anguished Soul, the Patchwork Abomination, its creator the Mad Scientist, the Vampire Lord, the Witch Queen, the Werewolf Lord, the Swamp Leviathan) and were trying to take out the monster hunter Cade. Lotta fun, plenty of jokes being made.

With Spelljammer this past week, we had to improvise a way to get our ship moving after it was disabled last session. Cue some space-whales moving nearby, we get their attention by mimicking the flashing bioluminescence (not without a few Finding Nemo references with us joking about "speaking whale"), then use them to get moving.

The way we decided to do it, we would tie ourselves to the tails of them and get towed behind them. "Like a [Star Wars] podracer," one of the players pointed out. And I pointed out, "It's literally pod-racing!"

After going through the checks and challenges to accomplish this-- involving having our ship's living tree throwing our artificer over to one whale-- our githyanki points out, "...He knows I can fly, right?" Which broke all of us, because we'd all forgotten. But we get our ship tied to the space-whales, they start moving off and pulling us behind them, and then the DM, in-character as our ship's owner, crows out, "Now this is spelljamming!"

The Finding Nemo references continued later when we got to our destination and found it covered in birds (lots of seagull "Mine! Mine!" references), and then came the Jaws references when we got roped into hunting down a nearby void skavver (space-shark) called Big Mama, involving us hopping in what amounted to a rowboat ("we're gonna need a bigger boat") to do so.

Next session, we're dealing with "vampirates" (space pirate vampires).

I. Love. Dungeons and Dragons.

Comment

Was your Halloween one-shot still a D&D game? Because there's several Powered by the Apocalypse games that seem like they would work for that, too. Including Monsterhearts. I've wanted to play something like Frankenstein's monster in a system like that for a long time.
            "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
            -Mira Furlan

Comment

Yes, we still used D&D 5e for the game. The DM gave us each a sheet of paper with what amounted to a homebrewed NPC stat block on it, detailing all of our abilities, spells, stats, etc. (Since it's a one-shot, it makes sense we wouldn't be using a full character sheet.) One player ended up playing both the Mad Scientist (whom he named Vinnie-- "It's not short for anything!") and the Patchwork Abomination ("Harold") and it worked out for him since the two were designed to synergize with their abilities.

There were a few jokes being made about Harold too. When we noted that one of the zombie minis had a beard, the Scientist's player spoke up, IC, "Save that! I'll want to use him for parts! Give Harold a beard." And the Witch Queen's player quipped, "So you're going to give him a soul patch?" Which got her an extra Inspiration from the DM.

Sadly, he didn't give me one later when, during some table talk, Harold's player played into a joke someone made--

Another Player: (IC) "How many times have you rebuilt Harold?"
              Harold's Player: (IC) "Shh! Not where Harold can hear!" (IC sotto voce) "We don't talk about how many there've been."
              Someone Else: "There's just a whole graveyard with gravestones..."
              Me: "Yeah. 'Version 1' 'Version 2'--"
              Harold's Player: "No, they all just say 'Harold.' Maybe some details about him--"
              Me: "So would those be his patch notes?"

I just got groans for it. No Inspo. Alas.

Comment

Our Curse of Strahd campaign got back together, after a three-week hiatus. Our adventuring party finally decided on a name, dubbing ourselves the SWAT Team. (Smiting Whatever Asshole Talks) This came after, in some table-talk, comparing ourselves to a SWAT team after smiting three hags in short order.

There were quite a few jokes being thrown around, which was probably because it had built up after three weeks' break, until our sorceress' player was joke-complaining that he could barely breathe. One of the jokes that set him off was, while hearing some lore about a temple that contained fragments of Dark Powers, that Strahd had slaughtered the temple guardians, when I commented, "Well, now we know we shouldn't mess with Strahd, if he took out some temple guards. We remember how badass those guys were from Legends of the Hidden Temple."

I made another meta joke that got us some Inspiration--

Someone Else: (IC) "It's just been a long day."
                Me: (IC) "Yeah. Today felt like it lasted three weeks."
                DM: (pause, smirk, awards Inspo)

Comment

No context quote from Spelljammer yesterday--

"We all take 1d6 math damage."

Comment

Instead of Curse of Strahd, this past week we did a Level 20 one-shot, since one of the players was gone for a wedding. Nothing like rolling up a Level 20 Paladin-Sorcerer with a Holy Avenger Longsword and a Belt of Giant Strength (rolled with Hill Giant, traded for Storm Giant in-game) to be a damage-dealing tank. Especially since we were fighting undead storm giants, giving me extra damage with both the sword and my Divine Smite.

Comment

Curse of Strahd--

We fought werewolves. They didn't really stand a chance against our silvered weapons and magic. But our Warlock did get bit and contract lycanthropy. We all could see her player seriously considering whether she should tell our Cleric (who has Remove Curse and could cure her), or to keep it to herself. I joked that this would be the start of her villain arc (first teased/joked about earlier during the Death House), but we all pointed out that he is a Cleric of Selune, who notoriously hates lycanthropes, and hence so does he.

Warlock was smart, and told Cleric, who removed the curse and cured her.

Comment

Curse of Strahd--

Sooo... after the werewolf thing, we had to abandon Vallaki and go deal with some evil druids at the local vineyard (cuz we need to get into the next town, which is closed to outsiders, but the town will let in the regular deliveries from the vineyard, which are behind because of aforementioned druids), but after doing so, the Vallaki innkeeper and his family arrived, with their 11yo son dead. This kid had been regularly shadowing us across Barovia (they're wereravens) and Sorcerer had gotten kind of close with him. So we're all upset to see this, Sorcerer is distraught (found out later that she had been the sole survivor of a dragon attack that wiped out her military unit which had been protecting an orphanage) and then suddenly Warlock gets a message from her patron. She thinks about it, and then suddenly casts Raise Dead on the kid-- a spell that's a much higher level than she should be able to cast.

Kid's alive now, but Warlock's arm now suddenly looks rotted and zombie-like, though still feels normal to her. And the poor kid is now afflicted with a kind of madness, and has this haunted look in his eyes, very different from the sweet kid he'd been before. Which just further upsets Sorcerer.

Our next mission involves stopping a druid ritual at a nearby hill, and while the situation is serious (Strahd himself is there), table circumstances just made it way more fun than dramatic. The wereraven father was with us and in hybrid form during combat, and when Sorcerer-player tried to do his hybrid form voice, it came out sounding like Hulk Hogan instead. So we started riffing on that ("Lemme tell you something, brother!") and then it sort of morphed from Hogan into Macho Man Randy Savage instead, leading to more riffing.

Ranger, who didn't really actively dislike Strahd like the rest of the team, hates running up the hill and tries to provoke Strahd into getting closer (and thus in bow range) by saying something like, "Are you just going to sit there and let us come to you?" And gets Strahd just bluntly saying, "Yes!" And this finally gets Ranger to dislike Strahd. We all joked at the table that Ranger hates him now because he made him do cardio. ("Nobody makes me breathe my own air!")

On top of all this, while everyone else in the team is dashing up the hill, so is my Paladin, but as a dwarf, he has a lesser walking speed, so he's slower getting up the hill while everyone else, with their ranged abilities, is attacking the druids and their berserker guards. Paladin finally gets there just as things are starting to wrap up, but he does manage to kill a couple of berserkers more or less single-handed. But for the whole thing, while they're attacking the enemies, I'm there just roleplaying like Paladin is just still running and like "Just wait till I get up there...!"

Comment

Spelljammer--

Two of our players-- our Artificer and Wenbin the Magnificent-- couldn't make it due to illness and/or time constraints. But we pressed on anyway. This part of the campaign involved traveling out of the wildspace system that is Realmspace (basically where all of the Forgotten Realms are located) and into the Astral Sea, where things behave a bit differently. For one thing, how fast/far you (your character) can move is based not off one's walking speed, but off of your character's INT score. Most of the players at the session had characters with an 8 or 9, versus my Warlock's 14. It was explained that because thought and willpower are part of how things work in the Astral Sea, it comes down to belief. Even gravity works weirdly there.

This led to some table-talk about how the characters aren't getting swept off the deck of their spelljamming vessel because it moves faster than them. I conclusively summed up the DM's explanation: "As long as you don't think about that happening, it won't." Then I added, "...and because I have an Intelligence of 14, [Warlock] suddenly starts moving backward and has to grab the railing to keep from getting swept off the deck."

The trip across the Astral Sea still took three weeks of travel, so to pass the time, the DM let us take part in some activities with some of the ship's crew. The ship's owner, Commodore Krux, gave us some training with firearms. Another ship captain traveling with us played "Dead Man's Dice" (Liar's Dice) with us-- and we the players actually played Liar's Dice against one another. The winner, our Paladin, handily beat everyone, then got challenged by said captain to a one-on-one game, which Paladin won also.

Then we went Astral Fishing, catching a three-eyed space minnow, which got fed to our Ranger's drake companion and promptly made her sick. When we tried fishing again, we spotted another space-shark, which got disintegrated by a beholder that turned up and led to some combat. While the DM played the beholder fairly smart-- the beholder got most of our spellcasters in the field of its anti-magic cone-- our Gith warlock and Paladin together managed to prevent it from doing anything on its second turn, as Gith cast Darkness on his ring and got behind the beholder, preventing it from seeing, and then Paladin successfully trapped it in a net, so it couldn't move or fire its various eye-beams. Between the damage piled on by the martial characters (Ranger and Fighter) and my Warlock using Hexblade's Curse + Witch Bolt, we destroyed it.

And then we arrived in Doomspace. A wildspace system with a black hole at the center. We headed for one of the moons, to meet up with a potential ally, finding it's covered in plateaus and dense jungle-- and that the jungle is home to multiple tarrasques. (For those who don't know, a single tarrasque is an apocalyptic-threat kaiju.) While some of the players were excited at the prospect of taking one on, ICly even, I had to have my Warlock repeatedly tell them, "No. No. Do not engage. DO NOT ENGAGE!" (She eventually relented and pointed out, "We kind of have to save our homeworld first? Maybe once we save it, we can come back and hunt one." And we all pitched the idea of doing that after the campaign is finished, and the DM was all for it.)

Just to further add to the dread, Gith's player pointed out the tarrasque's physiological features. Armored carapace, tusks/horns, the spiked tail. "These are defense mechanisms. Prey features. What the hell preys on this?!"

Welcome to Doomspace.

Comment

Spelljammer--

Nothing like helping shorten the boss fight we found ourselves in by rolling a Nat-20 on your Witch Bolt and destroying a third of the boss's health in one go.

Comment

Did some non-Spelljammer D&D this week, just some Adventurer's League one-shot. Our party were among the only survivors of our caravan in the Frozen North (us + 3 NPCs) and we took refuge in a cave. While exploring it, we came across two gazers (lesser beholder-kin) guarding a gemstone. What transpired next was a brief, stupid conversation as they argued with the party (largely just me, the Barbarian) and told us to go away.

Gazers: Who are you? What are you doing here?
                              Barbarian: What are YOU doing here?
                              Gazers: We're guarding the eye!
                              Barbarian: What eye?
                              Gazers: This! [gemstone] It's shaped like an eye!
                              Barbarian: YOU'RE shaped like an eye!
                              (Cue table breaking down laughing, including me.)
                              DM: They look slightly offended.
                              Gazers: Never been so insulted!
                              Barbarian: Maybe YOU should go away!
                              Gazers: Maybe we will!
                              Barbarian: All right then!
                              Gazers: Fine!
                              Barbarian: Good!
                              DM: (beat) And they head out of the cave.

Not quite as epic as Wenbin the Magnificent successfully convincing a pair of spectators to race one another to determine who was more worthy to guard a macguffin, but I still felt quite accomplished for managing to avoid a combat scenario through RP while playing a fight-happy barbarian.

Comment

Spelljammer--

We're heading into the finale of our little mini-campaign, flying in with the resistance fleet against the evil Xaryxian Empire, and we find ourselves flying toward the imperial flagship. We start taking potshots at it as soon as it's in range, when suddenly Wenbin & Githyanki's players come up with a crazy idea. They even warn us it's a crazy idea, and our reaction is basically, "Crazy ideas have worked for us so far, why stop now?"

Githyanki is a warlock with a genie patron, and has a ring that serves as his genie vessel. Gith can take up to five willing creatures into the vessel (ring) and then release them when he wants. So he takes all of us into the ring, apart from Wenbin, who uses Dimension Door to basically teleport onto the enemy ship with the ring. And he aims for the enemy admiral we'd injured with our potshots, landing on his shoulders and knocking him down before Gith releases us all from the ring.

DM asked Gith's player how it visually appears, and Gith's player read it out of the source book, that basically they appear out of a beam of light.

I went, "So basically it's a Pokeball?!"

Answer: Yes. Yes, it was.

What followed was basically our party just cutting our way through the entire crew of that enemy ship, commandeering it, getting chased by a pair of enemy solar dragons, before managing to convince said dragons to spare us (it helped that we had a macguffin to do this with) and then turning back to sail toward the imperial citadel to try to rescue the princess, defeat the new emperor, and save the world.

But that's for next session.

Comment

Working...
                                X