No announcement yet.

Tabletop Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love these stories. I've played in campaigns where druids and rangers refer to their animal companion as their Pokémon.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Comment

Glad to hear that at least one other person is enjoying these!

Curse of Strahd--

We did this one at a game-themed tavern instead of our usual game store, because Strahd had invited the party to Castle Ravenloft for dinner. So we could have dinner at the tavern, while our characters had dinner in-game.

Strahd, being the villain he is, spent the dinner more or less picking at everyone, pushing at their buttons, clearly trying to get a rise out of us. We didn't rise to the bait, though my Paladin did somewhat return fire, after discussing his own past-- his elder brother will inherit the family title and estate, his elder sister will take over the family smithy business, and Paladin admitted to jealousy, but that he channeled his anger by becoming a holy warrior-- when Strahd tried to commiserate with him, but Paladin just replied, "I may not get along with my siblings all the time, but I love them, and I wouldn't try to kill my brother again out of jealousy."

All the other players noted, as I somewhat intended, that I had stated, "try to kill my brother again." As this was the most backstory about Paladin I'd ever divulged, they were very much "Wait, what?!"
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Curse of Strahd--

Paladin is still trying to be the moral center of the party, but that doesn't mean he can't be plenty f'ing mean.

We had to pass by Krezk on our way to our next objective, and we discussed trying to stop a potential plot going there which would bring Strahd's anger down on the town. Paladin was all for stopping it, but the rest of the Party was ambivalent about trying to stop it. The meanness came in when he argued they (the party) didn't want the death of another town on their conscience-- though the party argued the previous town wasn't their fault-- and then he turned to Sorcerer, whose backstory includes her PTSD from a dragon attack which destroyed the orphanage she was protecting, and said, "You don't want the deaths of more children on your conscience."

The entire table, DM included, went "Whoa!"

I did point out-- one, Paladin had expected Sorcerer to back him up, and two, Oath of Conquest Paladin means I'm not always going to be very nice.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

Nicely done.

My own games have been much simpler. As in, Trans America and some Love Letter. With a few sessions of Chinese-style Mahjong thrown in. Not that exciting.
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Oh, I forgot to mention this-- our Spelljammer DM has basically agreed to do a Level 20 one-shot after we finish our Spelljammer campaign, in which we'll go tarrasque hunting. Some of us may be playing different characters (I won't be using my Warlock, given that tarrasques are difficult to affect with pretty much any attack spell), and the DM has admitted to trying to think of ways to make it difficult for us to fight it without just camping on a flying spelljammer vessel while taking ranged attacks.

DM also said he was trying to think of a name for the one-shot, and I suggested Tarrasic Park.

Comment

Spelljammer--

Confronting the big bad, championing our ally, we get thrown into a battle against an aberration called the Zodar.

We learned real quick-- You Don't Mess With The Zodar.

This thing had an AC of 20, +15 to its attacks, legendary resistances, and an ability called Forced Teleport which our DM used frequently. Forced Teleport allowed it to choose any creature it could see within 60 ft (oh, and it has blindsight, so you can't hide from it) and teleport them to somewhere else within 60 ft, and causing them to take 4d10 force damage. It was f**king MEAN.

Found out after we defeated it and the session was over that the fight was practically intended to be a TPK. The DM was impressed we managed to survive. He was also having fun because he finally put an actual challenge in front of us.

Comment

Played Trans America a couple of weeks ago with some folks who had never seen it before. We had fun. Then a few rounds of "Love Letter", which was also fun.
                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Spelljammer--

This was the final session of our campaign. Our ally had turned on us and was all in on also destroying our world for the sake of their own power. A plot device went off that restored the party-- full effects of a long rest and a Greater Restoration-- and we found ourselves facing off against the big bads, two guard commanders, and eight guardsmen. But we all prioritized targeting our former ally, who got melted when Wenbin dropped a necrotic Fireball on them. And the other big bad, who tried to run, got lit up and then burned to a crisp.

But the guards didn't stop fighting. And the only way to save our world was to send one of the two royal magic rings into the heart of the star. And the guards-- who hit like tanks-- managed to down everyone except our ranger (who was on the far corner of the battlefield) and my warlock, Wahei, who was nearly surrounded. But Wenbin's owl familiar flew over to assist Wahei, allowing her to slip past the guards closing in on her without provoking an opportunity attack, and to get to the magical pool in the middle of the battlefield. We'd found out last session that drinking the water would trigger a WIS save, which if passed would allow the drinker access to one 7th-level spell from the cleric or wizard spell lists.

The WIS save was a DC 16, and after burning some inspirations, I rolled a total of 16 exactly. So I upcast the normally 5th-level spell Mass Cure Wounds at 7th level and restored the health of every downed member of the party, bringing them back from the brink of death.

It was a clutch moment that saved us from the TPK.

In the end, the ring could only go up through the magical beam of light into the heart of the star if it was in the hands of something organic. And Wenbin chose to sacrifice himself to save our world and destroy the enemy star (and its worlds) in the process.

RIP Wenbin the Magnificent.

Comment

Curse of Strahd--

Our Half-Elf Ranger has now become the barbarian King of the Mountain (Mt. Ghakis) after slaying a "great beast" with his Blood Spear. Which only made his already large ego get even bigger. (Ranger's player was disappointed to learn that he doesn't have the required STR score to take a level in Barbarian.)

When he started annoying my Dwarf Paladin, we got this exchange--

Paladin: "You keep that up, I'll put you under this goddamn mountain."
                    Ranger: "Would that make me King Under the Mountain?"
                    Paladin: "That's cultural appropriation, and I won't be havin' it!"

Comment

D&D Adventurers' League--

The dice gods did not like us this past Thursday. People were rolling generally low, but my Barbarian just could not attack things due a combination of low initiative roll and then bad rolls. I rolled three Natural-1's in a row, off two different dice.

Comment

D&D AL--

Presented without context: Everyone at the table this week agreed that Kitchen Barbarians sounds like a damn entertaining reality show.

Comment

Curse of Strahd--

While being confronted by a pack of vampire spawn, our Warlock uses Wall of Light and catches nearly all of them in its light, hitting them all with radiant damage. My Paladin compounded it by using the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind to cast Hold Vampire and paralyze two of them inside the wall. Neither was able to cure their blindness (from the Wall) or their paralysis (from the Symbol), and they spent their turns basically getting cooked.

We dubbed it "the Microwave."

EDIT--

Our Strahd DM has let us know that we're moving into the endgame (since we now have the macguffins we need to defeat Strahd) and is already planning our next campaign, which will be in a homebrew alternate version of Earth, a sort of steampunk urban fantasy Victorian London-type setting. (Same basic map, but all the countries are called different things, that kinda thing.) We the players are debating what characters to portray, based on what information the DM's provided about the setting.

Bob, our most experienced player, has said he's planning on playing a Druid from "Ireland" who will probably use his druid-staff as a shillelagh, and wants to try to convert the heathens in "London" back to the old magic ways, and basically drinks a lot because no one's really interested. (He's intimated that "Father Ted" might be a source of inspiration.) Meanwhile, Jesse (who plays our Ranger in Strahd) has been thinking about playing a Paladin of the Church of the Four (official church of "England") with his inspiration specifically being Father Anderson from Hellsing Unlimited.

When they were talking about this, I started laughing and pointed out the potential fun in the dynamics there-- an "Irish Catholic fanatic" and a "zealous Anglican priest." They both thought it was hilarious as well. Meanwhile, I've got two possibilities-- a cockney Rogue or a pro-wrestler inspired Barbarian or Monk.
                          Last edited by Jay 2K Winger; 03-29-2023, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Are you online at all? I've been thinking of taking up D&D online since pandemicytime but not really sure where to start-not helped by the fact that my computer could be used as an Artefact of Useless Antiquity (seriously,it's on Windows 7,not even memory to load Discord,it has an added keyboard since only half the buttons on the original work and the left click button has now fallen off...) I've done some online LARPing which was very useful as it gave a chance to progress the quest between in person meetings in pre-COVID days.
                            And for my first LARP we were a seagoing people who had a lot of dead bodies of enemies.As we were sea-lovers we couldn't just chuck them overboard, so when a nice man offered to take them off our hands and give us some gold I happily accepted. Pity he turned out to be a necromancer....
                            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I did D&D online briefly last year, but when we'd only had nine sessions in nine months, some of the players lost interest and so our group just stopped. It was a month or so later that I found the game store near my house where I do D&D Adventurers' League, and it was from their Discord that I met the DM for our Curse of Strahd game.

Haven't really done too much online play since, though.

Comment

Curse of Strahd--

We're storming the castle! We're into the endgame, we've got our macguffins and we're ready to take on Strahd von Zarovich!

Some various quotes from the session--

"I'm gonna attack Fuck-knuckle over here--" "That's Sir Fuck-knuckle to you!"

"Baroviaaa~ Fuck yeah!"

"You're not the dumbest man in Barovia, but you'd better hope he doesn't die."

Comment

Working...
                                X