No announcement yet.

What annoys you?--a place to put it and leave it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That dinner has to be this huge production that takes literal hours to prepare, starting at 1:30 pm, wherein the kitchen is totally tied up for anyone who wants to use it. I'm working; I need to get in and out of there fast.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
      Just be honest. Don't discard honesty for politeness.

"Dude, I don't really know you, and I'm not going to chat randomly about my day with you as if you were my best buddy. Chill."
      That's a good response, thanks. Thing is, if I'm reading his other FB DM correctly, he seems to think I'm somebody he's chatted with by cellphone before. He's absolutely got me confused with somebody else.

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post

Start telling them about the fantastic fictitious life you're living.
      I've got to get to work on that.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
        I hate how my mom touches raw bacon and then a bunch of other stuff in the kitchen. Well, none of us have died yet....
        Gonna go wipe EVERYTHING down later.
        Oh man, my maternal grandfather was like that. "I found those chicken legs there" he'd say, as he was preparing supper for us both (you have to imagine his comments in a heavy-duty German accent).

I never knew where "there" meant that he was indicating the chicken legs he was working on ... or whether he meant that he literally found them THERE, as in, on the kitchen counter. He had a tactic of taking frozen chicken legs out of the freezer and letting them defrost ... on the counter ... for eight hours or more.

"I t'ink I got flu again."

No, Grandpa, you've got food poisoning. Again!!

And yet somehow he managed to make it to 98, and was on no meds at all when he did die.
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I think my family gets food poisoning and doesn't realize it. It's when they eat the same thing that I don't eat.

So mine for today: when I express an opinion about something and people argue with it or respond like they're annoyed I have it. Today it's a coworker. And it's a fairly innocuous opinion, as in "hey, here's this positive thing for you in this situation" and I'm shot down for finding the silver lining. I'm going to limit interactions with her. In this case I should've just reassigned that client's ticket to me since it had been moved in the system, and not even told her I was doing it. She wouldn't have noticed anyway. That should be a general rule on my team.

Comment

Fffff...I updated Firefox rather belatedly, and oh boy I hate the new Proton look. See my previous notes in this very thread about why the everloving hell do UI designers do this? I should not have to do four Google searches and update a custome stylesheet file so that my bookmarks fit on the damn screen because they increased the spacing of everything and removed the ability to change it back...

More pointedly: not everyone is using a touchscreen tablet thing, you screen space gobbling quackmonkeys!
            Last edited by Ceir; 05-23-2023, 09:28 PM.
            Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
            They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

Once again, I am super tired of hearing "we told you about that" from the main branch / upper management when they actually did not tell us about whatever it was. The latest one is "we told you that when the screen pops up that the customer's driver's license is expired, and it has a link to update the driver's license, that does not feed back to the CIF (customer information file)." No, they didn't. We were wasting time filling that in, because that module doesn't talk to the CIF.
              "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
              -Mira Furlan

Comment

Crazed motorcycle riders, go Darwin yourself somewhere else. I almost creamed one today 'cause they were cutting through traffic on the white lines.
                Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
                They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

People on FB and YouTube and the internet in general who refer to "baby kittens."
                  A kitten is by definition a baby cat.

So WTF is a "baby kitten"???
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Another one: When the sister who lives with me says, "I'm going to bed now," and then stands in the doorway talking for another 30 minutes or longer. And/or decides that 2:30 in the morning (yes, we're up that late) is a great time to ask me what we should do for dinner later. While I may be awake at 2:30 a.m., I do not have the brain cells to think about various chicken recipes, nor do I want to have an in-depth discussion on what her online friend said today. I value my alone time, dammit!
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Why are you leaving a voice mail that's 3 minutes long? If you're going to leave a long message, you should just use email.
                      This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

My mom will occasionally text me "Call me!!!11111one!"...naturally I freak out a bit (did something happen to the apartment, is she okay). When I call--risking a supervisor's wrath because nobody is supposed to be using their phones on the floor--it's piffle like "oh can you pick up XYZ" or some piece of information that is only useful to me if I'm actually home (in which case a text is far more helpful so I know exactly what I'm walking into). Unless it is actually life or death, text only kthnx.
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

The hottest air will generally be at the top of the room. Also, when cold air blows on people's feet, they tend to get cold. So why in the world are my AC vents on the floor?

Comment

If you want me to tell you the transactions that have cleared you're account, don't interrupt me when I tell you the latest one that's cleared your account. You wanted the last check, you said? Ok, then I won't tell you your debit card transactions. Are you sure that's what you want? No? Good. Now shut up while I tell you what's actually cleared your account so you can balance, jerk.
                            "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                            -Mira Furlan

Comment

Asking for help and then before I can even acknowledge you... "So are you going to come over or what?" *one hand on hip, crooked-finger gesture*
                              Since you're putting it that way...no. I don't even work in this section. Good luck complaining to [likeminded manager] who saw the whole thing.
                              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Me: Oh, family is away for three days (mostly). It will be so peaceful with no smells (I have issues with them cooking and making my office smell like a diner). I will get so much work done! I will go to bed early for once!
                                My body: Oh, yay--bad air quality. You get to have a runny nose all week. And you get to stay up half the night because I'm going to hit you with pain.
                                My neighbor's arborist: [I was told this, still annoying] Hey, let's take 3 days to cut that tree down. Yes! Saws are just what Food Lady needs in the middle of her workday.
                                Last edited by Food Lady; 08-10-2023, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X