Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health update

So.

I've been going through chemo, and all that it involves. Loss of hair, fatigue, numbness in my fingers and toes, and so on. I've had blood test after blood test.

Not long ago, I hit the halfway mark. That is, I have received half of the number of chemo sessions that they have planned for me. Now, it's time for surgery. I will be admitted to the hospital in a few days, and the doctors think I'll be in the hospital for about a week.

I had a pre-op visit with one of the doctors, and he told me that there is no...

Repeat, there is NO...

Viable tumor! In other words, the chemo is working! The doctor said they won't know for sure until they actually perform the operation, but the scan showed no viable tumor. He said there may be some scar tissue or necrotic tissue, but that seems to be it. They'll also remove certain bits and pieces. But the treatment is working. It is working.

That is fantastic. Congratulations!
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

My fingers are crossed for you! Have they done a PET scan to ensure that you're clear? I'm assuming they have, but different places do different things sometimes.

Comment

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
        My fingers are crossed for you! Have they done a PET scan to ensure that you're clear? I'm assuming they have, but different places do different things sometimes.
        Yes, they've done all kinds of imaging to see inside me. The doctor admitted that they won't know what's really in there until they operate, but the scan didn't show anything worrisome, as far as I know.

It's not easy to do this. Chemo was terrifying. Now I'm facing surgery three weeks after receiving chemo. I made sure to ask for a private room; I don't want to recover with strangers spending 24 hours in the room with me. I don't know how many friends will be willing or able to visit. It's hard.

Comment

That's super great news! I hope the surgery goes smoothly and you recover quickly. I hope some of your friends will be able to visit. Sending good vibes your way.
          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
          -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
            That's super great news! I hope the surgery goes smoothly and you recover quickly. I hope some of your friends will be able to visit. Sending good vibes your way.
            Thank you! One friend has already made plans to visit on Sunday. Two others might visit on Saturday. I don't know if that will happen; it sounded kind of vague. It's weird to think that a week from now, I'll still be in the hospital.

Comment

Congrats, best of luck, and I hope your surgery finds nothing and the recovery is swift and relatively painless!
              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I'm home from the hospital now. That was an ordeal. I'm so glad to be home.

Comment

Great to hear. Now, kick back, rest and pamper yourself a little.
                  Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                  Save the Ales!
                  Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Get you plenty of rest, and I hope you feel better soon!
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Glad to read that you're home. Hope that means you're on the mend.
                      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                      -Mira Furlan

Comment

Is anyone taking care of things at home so you can rest?
                        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
                          Is anyone taking care of things at home so you can rest?
                          Nope. I have to do it. I did find some food that my landlady left outside my door, once she realized I was home. I do dishes when they get dirty, so that they won't pile up (no dishwasher). A friend might come over tomorrow; she's not sure yet. Fortunately, I can order groceries online, and I just did.

Comment

Arthroscopic or did they filet you?

I have had 4 arthroscopic surgeries (abdominal). Recovered from them fairly quickly. Only a two week lifting restriction. Comfortably moving around the next day. My last Cardiac Cath had more issues (black and blue from my groin down to my knee).
                            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                            Save the Ales!
                            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                              My last Cardiac Cath had more issues (black and blue from my groin down to my knee).

.... Yeah he says it's the Cardiac Cath, we all know it was due to Mrs. Csquared bouncing up and down on him like a trampoline

The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
                              X