This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth MMATM View Post
    A couple-hundred-pound asthmatic rabbit is still pretty dangerous, especially once the whole "the bitch fought back" testosterone/adrenaline cocktail starts to kick in. I do like the idea of a stronger-than-pepper-spray pepper spray, though.

"Yes, yes. To crazylegs you listen. The cave. Remember your failure at the cave!"
    It doesn't matter if Pillock brains does try to fight back, unlike CS which makes you angry PAVA means you *are* incapable of fighting back as you can't see!

Uh, cave? Some Star Wars reference I'm missing?

http://buy.ecplaza.net/search/1s1nf20sell/pava.html for PAVA
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Indeed some Star Wars reference. In this case, you're Obi-Wan. Translation: your advice is good.
      "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Comment

Okay, TD may have to make her own spray, as suggested earlier. Find a small, reliable spray bottle - one that can't be damaged easily - and fill 'er up.

Comment

Now, when you live on a small tropical island that has no gun stores, where would you go about finding pepper spray type stuff?
          Self defense suppliers on the web like has already been mentioned.
          Sometimes sporting goods stores will carry OC spray.
          I have actually found police grade OC at pawn shops before. (Dont ask dont tell places mainly)
          Umm Flea markets? I dont know if there are any around you but still...
          PAVA is not common around here but like was mentioned the web can be an amazing place.

Umm how about a TASER or stun gun? I can tell you from personal experience that a hundred K of juice running through your body unless you are so hyped up that GI JOE couldnt bring you down you will not be doing much for a few moments. Long enough for any victim to get away. (And how I know for sure was there was an argument about the effectiveness of them in a class I was taking for law enforcement studies. Lets just say after having one of them shoved in my gut I was looking at the floor wondering which direction my toes went. This was a week or two after the OC spray class. Where we got sprayed with OC to know how it affected people.) Though I dont know what your particular local laws are about that sort of stuff.

As for improvised weponas don't forget the common car keys. If you carry enough of them they can make freddy kreuger look unarmed. Hide them in your hand as a sap, poke them throuh your fingers for scratchign poking.
          Not as effective as a kubaton but again if you dont have it use what you have.

Glad you're at least standing by her. Sounds like those guys in blue down there definately need a fire lit under them. This jerkwad should have already had a nice long visit to the barred hotel.

Comment

Quoth Rahmota View Post
            As for improvised weponas don't forget the common car keys. If you carry enough of them they can make freddy kreuger look unarmed. Hide them in your hand as a sap, poke them throuh your fingers for scratchign poking.
            Not as effective as a kubaton but again if you dont have it use what you have.

I completely forgot about the keys poking through the fingers weapon. I remember being told that when I worked at the local mall during Christmas time. Female employees were being targeted by at least one guy/maybe more. That was one of the things I was told to do.

I actually got a little keychain thing of pepper spray through a mail order catalog (can't rememer which one) shortly after some guy followed me to my car, but fortunately, when I got to my car, the car door next to me opened up and it was a co-worker getting out so we chatted while I got into my car, and I waved as I drove off. Whew.

Comment

So I was talking to TD tonight.

I believe I mentioned on this thread that I had told her that I was posting her story, and that she had pretty much an entire website behind her. And she was touched.

Well, tonight was an interesting conversation.

JESTER: "Remember I told you that everyone on the website is pulling for you?"
              TD: "Yeah."
              JESTER: "Something I didn't tell you....a lot of them think of you as a hero."
              TD: "Me? A hero? Yeah, right. I can't even get my life in order, how the hell am I a hero?"
              JESTER: "Because you are doing something that very few women in your position have had the guts to do, and are following through on it rather than just repeating your mistakes, and are doing all this despite the cops dragging their feet the whole time. You may not see it as being a hero, but a lot of other people, who are sick to death of watching other women repeat their mistakes over and over again, do. They really do."

TD thought about it, and teared up a bit.

Thanks, guys. From TD and especially from me. Thank you. Thank you.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

A little Mixed Martial Arts training never hurt anybody either. Well, never hurt th eperson who knew it, that is.

Comment

Quoth DarthRetard View Post
                  A little Mixed Martial Arts training never hurt anybody either. Well, never hurt th eperson who knew it, that is.
                  Although I agree with that statement in principle, you do need to train a fair length of time to get muscle memory i.e. the instant *correct* reflex, something that would maintain a decent distance is probably the best defence at the mo (until such time as the training has become reflex that is).

Jester,

Any further update on what the police are doing, and whether you've had to light any fires under them yet?

Comment

Update...

Quoth DarthRetard View Post
                    I mentioned mace/pepper spray/etc to TD last night when we were talking, and she thought it might be a good idea, and without my suggesting it, she said she was thinking about taking some self-defense classes. I think it's a great idea, personally.

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                    Any further update on what the police are doing, and whether you've had to light any fires under them yet?
                    I was getting really pissed off today at the foot-dragging and lack of action on the part of the particular department responsible for this whole thing. And I was getting even more pissed off when I was at work today and I saw in the local newspaper that yesterday the cops had arrested a dude that had met a woman in a downtown bar, took her back to his place, and when she refused his advances, tried to force himself on her and then beat the crap out of her. My thoughts were somewhat along the lines of, "Oh, that's just f---ing great. If you don't know the guy, they arrest him, but if you do, even if it's just as brutal, they don't consider it a crime." And I was thinking of various strategies for dealing with all of this, getting something, ANYTHING going.

And then, just as I was working myself into a good ole rage, I got a text message from TD with the following news:

A warrant for BB has been issued, with a pretty serious charge, and a bond has been set. No arrest as of yet that we know of, but FINALLY something is getting done. We hope he will be arrested today or tonight, so that TD can finally get her stuff from his place, if any of it is left.

More news as it develops.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post

A warrant for BB has been issued, with a pretty serious charge, and a bond has been set. No arrest as of yet that we know of, but FINALLY something is getting done.
                      Thats great news, is there a Domstic Abuse Unit within your local police service/PD/Constabulary that you can get in touch with the make sure the momentum is continued?

Comment

Crazylegs, without going into too much details, TD has been and remains in contact with a victims advocacy group, I believe with an official capacity, that is helping things move along. So, yes.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Jester, may I suggest a new "theme song" for TD? I like this one in particular...

Miranda Lambert-Gunpowder and Lead

Glad to hear they've got a warrant out for him.

Comment

Sportsmom, I really don't like country music.

BUT I'll make a serious exception for that one, not just because it fits all too perfectly, but also because it is a damn good song. AND it talk about being on a "white rock." (Key West is often referred to as The Rock by people who live here.)

AND the chick is pretty damn hot, too!

I'm actually afraid to show this to Tiny Dancer, because it may give her some ideas that I don't want her to have.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                              Sportsmom, I really don't like country music.

BUT I'll make a serious exception for that one, not just because it fits all too perfectly, but also because it is a damn good song. AND it talk about being on a "white rock." (Key West is often referred to as The Rock by people who live here.)

AND the chick is pretty damn hot, too!

I'm actually afraid to show this to Tiny Dancer, because it may give her some ideas that I don't want her to have.
                              Yeah, Miranda Lambert rocks like that. May I also suggest a couple of other options, not for this situation, but just of Miranda Lambert?

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

Kerosene

Comment

I know I came into this thread late, but my prayers and good wishes are with TD during this time. I hope that where ever she ends up, she'll be able to find peace and develop as good of a support network as she has now with you and her other friends.
                                Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Working...
                                X