Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I stand alone...twilight-the book please tell me I'm not alone! (could have spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no idea. The first book is all gushy bull, and the girl going "who is me everyone likes me and all the guys want me" and then all gushing about how "in love" she is with the vampire.

it's really slow and BORING then it kind of picks up at the end. then dies.

the end!
    I am evil, I should change my middle name legally TO evil, I'm proud of my evilness! Makes life fun! bwhaha

Comment

I'm glad that Harry Potter and Twilight and other such stuff has got kids reading. But, they aren't reading any classic literature - and therefore they think these books are "great".

We were discussing the play Anna in the Tropics in class one day, and I asked them if any of them had read Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. Nobody. Not ONE. And half of the class had a look of "Who's Tolstoy?"
      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I have not read them (vampires + teenagers = Ana is not interested) but I flipped through and read snatches of the first one at work; the writing is execrable. I was floored by how awful it was. How did this ever get published without severe editing?
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Maybe Stephanie bribed the publishers. -.- It's the most awful pile of crap there is, the writing would not be out of place in a remedial class and Bella is the most disgusting, sickening Mary Sue in the world.
          Last edited by Ree; 10-31-2008, 11:31 PM.
          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Well, they aren't the best books, but if they have kids reading, they have kids reading. And really, if the kids love them so much, then what's the harm? I read them, and while I didn't think they were OMG AWESOME, they certainly were better than some other books I've read.

PS - Vampires don't GLITTER. I almost cried when that part came up. Not to mention the entire plot of the last book.

Comment

Yeah, what the hell was with the sparkly vampire? Is the writer trying to convert the entire world to "ooo, Shiney!" syndrome?

Oh, I know, maybe Twilight was self published?
              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I found excerpts online of the first few chapters, and I must say, the whole 'zero personality' thing people say about the male lead and his family struck me as very true. Then again, I only read the first few chapters before saying 'you know what, I don't like you, bite me.' and going back to minesweeper.

No pun intended.
                "Darling, you are a bitch. I'm joining the Navy." -Cinema Guy 4/30/2009

Comment

Quoth Binky View Post
                  HAHAHA I've only read the first book and now I know what will be happening in the others!
                  Sorry, forgot to mention the spoilers. Fixed that post.

Yeah, I won't be wasting my time on this series. I hate Mary Sue characters, and Bella Swan is so blatantly obviously a Mary Sue it isn't funny.
                  Last edited by Ree; 11-05-2008, 07:06 AM.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Girly View Post
                    Well, they aren't the best books, but if they have kids reading, they have kids reading. And really, if the kids love them so much, then what's the harm? I read them, and while I didn't think they were OMG AWESOME, they certainly were better than some other books I've read.
                    So, if kids were going out kicking puppies rather than playing on their computer, it would be OK cuz "At least they're going out into the fresh air!"? That's my take on Twilight. I'd rather kids read decent books; and there are a lot of good children's and teen's books around; for example, I'd choose the Night World series for teens over Twilight; yup, there are vampires and werewolves in it; nope, they are not sparkly and perfect and sickly sweet. -.- There are also so many good fantasy and horror books out that there is no need whatsoever for kids to be reading the book equivilent of horse crap.

Hell, I'd even suggest that teens read Sweet Valley High over Twilight; at least the characters are more developed and well rounded. Jessica Wakefield acts like a bitch and gets her just desserts; Bella Swann acts like a bitch and gets rewarded. -__- I can't believe I'm saying this, as all the girls at my school who used to take the piss when I sat in at break reading LOTR read Sweet Valley High, but it's true.
                    My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                      So, if kids were going out kicking puppies rather than playing on their computer, it would be OK cuz "At least they're going out into the fresh air!"? That's my take on Twilight. I'd rather kids read decent books; and there are a lot of good children's and teen's books around;
                      I agree with LNS here.

Quite frankly, I'd rather see my friends reading Naruto books (As in, the crappy fully-printed material that was made because some people think they're too good to read the superior manga-format material.) Despite the semantics that annoy the living hell out of me (They're battle-mages, spellswords, sorcerers, ANYTHING, but a series in which the main character has spiky blond hair, an orange jumpsuit, and screams 'believe it' at the top of his lungs at every opportunity can not call it's characters ninjas. ), it still has more characterization and personality in one molecule of any given side character than the entire Twilight series, from what I've seen.

(For the record, I like Naruto, but I've tried reading the "true Novel" format, and it is painful.)
                      Last edited by Ree; 10-31-2008, 12:06 AM. Reason: Excessive quoting

Comment

I liked Twilight. But then again, I wasn't asked to write a thesis on Twilight. I wasn't reading it because I thought everybody else liked it (nor was I avoiding it because everyone else liked it ). I didn't pick it up because I thought a thought-provoking, compelling, turn-of-the-century social commentary sounded like a good book after teatime.

I just read Twilight for fun and - le gasp! - I had fun reading it.

Oh & that link in the 2nd/3rd post is funny as hell.

Comment

Quoth Kat View Post
                          *MOD EDIT - Please edit quotes.

I just read Twilight for fun and - le gasp! - I had fun reading it.
                          I read what I did for fun, not for literature. I just couldn't stomach the crap that it was spewing.

Then again, I'm the same guy who put Eldest down and vowed never to waste another second of my life on the Eragon series when I saw the sentance 'Elves are vegetarians.'

And also, I'm not exactly the target demographic. I'm a male, for one thing, and I get annoyed with people who act in any way shape or form like angsty emo bitches. I suppose there was no way I could have enjoyed the concept of a quasi-goth vampire romance with a stuck up tween bitch.
                          Last edited by Ree; 10-31-2008, 12:08 AM. Reason: Excessive quoting

Comment

Guess what... I read for fun too. However, I like books that I read to be well written, have well rounded, believable characters that make me care what happens to them, and to have good, well formed storylines. Twilight fails on all three counts.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Well, I read Shakespeare for shits'n'giggles.

You want a good spooky story? Read Macbeth. Or Faust. Or Dr. Faustus.

Srsly.
                              "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                              Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I have to admit... I'm a Harry Potter and Twilight fanatic. *hangs head* I am properly ashamed, but I can't help but love them. It's the teenie-booper in me, after burning all my boy band CDs and posters the poor little thing needs an outlet somewhere!

But really, The Host (Stephanie Meyer's other book) is really really great if you're into sci-fi. Very interesting story. It took a minute for me to get into it, but about a quarter of the way through I couldn't put it down.

Comment

Working...
                                X