This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you knew you were going to die...

I recently blew the dust off of an old writing project and have been working on it with a friend. The premise is that the world is going to end in about 2 weeks due to some natural apocalyptic event (asteroid/supervolcano/giant solar flare) and the government announces there's nothing we can do. From here, and in most cases starting a little before the announcement, I'm taking about a dozen characters and following them through denial, acceptance, and basically how they decide to deal with the fact that the world will be no more in a few short weeks.
    First off, this is a work of fiction and is looking like it's going to be a dark comedy. I understand that there's probably hundreds of military solutions and secret societies of super-intelligent alien wolverines protecting earth from destruction, and that certain things are supposed to happen before the end times according to various sources, etc. Setting all of that aside, and this has inspired some fascinating discussions, how would you react so seeing on CNN/MSNBC/FOX/SKY News that the end was all kinds of nigh and you now have 2 weeks, to reconcile your grudges, tell your boss how you really feel, track down your high school sweetheart, and kiss your ass goodbye all while the rest of the planet is doing the same?
    I imagine that some people would still continue going to work for some lenght of time, hell, some might not even hear about it for a day or two. I also understand that there would probably be looting, massive parties, people, including police and hospital workers, not coming to work, communications and certain technologies would probably be defunct by week's end and there would be a run on alcohol and ammunition.

anywho, where would you go, who would you see, what kind of blowout party would you plan, do you think metallica would organize and end-of-the-world music fest?

Discuss!
    "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

I would certianly not go into work.
    I think I would spend a few days partying my arse off. Drinking too much, taking pretty much every drug out there, orgies, the works. Why not?

I would go walking a lot. Explore as far as I could on my limited budget and time.

I would spend a lot of time with Boy and family. That would be the most precious of all the time.
    Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

I think if I knew the world was going to end in 2 weeks, and the government told me there was nothing that could be done to stop it, I would take it as a challenge and spend the entire 2 weeks in a lab, working to try to find a solution until I passed out in the lab, then waking up and trying again.

Either that or I'd see cops refusing to show up for work and take to vigilanteeism to make sure that if the world is going to hell, at least my little chunk of it will go with some damned dignity.

One way or the other, I wouldn't be accepting that we were all going to die until the moment death wrapped it's fingers around me.
      "Darling, you are a bitch. I'm joining the Navy." -Cinema Guy 4/30/2009

Comment

I'd huddle together my family(including my sister...if I have to...ugh) and spend time together driving each other crazy and having a good old time eating junk food.
        "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

Quoth dispatch View Post
          do you think metallica would organize and end-of-the-world music fest?
          Hell fuckin' YES!!!

Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Hmmm, can't say that I'm certain... but I would probably spend much of the time finding a girl freind...

Failing that, I would probably spen alot of time setting stuff on fire.
            I like things that go *bang!*

Comment

I'd be hanging out with my family and playing music.
              1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
              -----
              http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

I sure as hell wouldn't go to work, but if I did I would tell Whiner just how annoyingly stupid she really is.

The rest of the time I would spend with my family, eating what we want, when we want and doing a lot of hugging and kissing and making plans to meet up with each other on the other side.

We would party like it was 1999!
                Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

I'd probably go out and 1) Kill Idiots (Idiot Season is OPEN!) and 2) fly to Flea-Bit's country, track him down, and stay cooped up with him in bed for the rest of my days.
                  Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

I couldn't help but be reminded of this video:
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdKOWg4fuRE

What would I do? Never been much of a party animal, so I suppose it'd be a good time to start. That, and I'd try to finish a few of my stories.
                    Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

I'd spend as much time with my family and TTO's family as humanly possible. I'd watch all the movies I've wanted to watch, walk with my dog more and eat all the dishes I've ever wanted to make. Who cares about diet, the world's ending in 14 days!
                      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

A lot of this would depend on finances. I might have to work two shifts at work with all the drunks coming in to raise my stakes, but for the moment, let's assume I had the finances to do as much of this as possible--because while not all of it requires money, some does.

And while I probably would not be able to accomplish this in two weeks, I would do what I could.

I would kill 1 or 2 people. Not random people. Just the worst 2 people I have ever known, who have done horrible things to people I knew and cared about. I say 1 or 2 because I only KNOW I could find one (BB). The other one might or might not be back in Phoenix. But either way, the deaths would be slow, painful, and brutal.

I would drink and spend and party and have fun and not give two shits.

I would beat the crap out of assholes I know who don't quite deserve death, but definitely should have their asses stomped.

I would kiss every girl I have ever wanted to kiss, but haven't yet, that I could. Just walk up to them and plant one, and either have it returned, get slapped, or watch their shocked face. HBC, Ginger, Holly Hunter, Christina Ricci, Anna Paquin (duh, you knew she would be in here!), Rene Zelwegger, Renee O'Connor, Bouncy, Kirsten Dunst, Rachael Ray, Stephanie Izard, The Enchantress, The Brit....whoever I could find, even if were just the girls I fancy here in Key West.

I would take five minutes out to mock and laugh at That Vile Woman. Probably four and a half minutes more than she's worth, but what the hell....end of days, right?

I would make love to any woman that I found attractive (hey, I gotta enjoy it, right?) that was willing.....on the beach, on a balcony, on a boat, in the desert, wherever. What, who's going to arrest me for that with the world ending?

I would make everyone laugh that I could. I do that now, but I would redouble my efforts.

I would have all the fun I could in Key West before heading to my home of Phoenix for the end, where I would see my friends that live there, my parents, and the one place that, for me, I want to be in when it all ends. And I would make sure I saw at least one more sunset in the desert.

And I would hope and pray that whatever was coming to destroy the earth would land first and foremost wherever I was so that I would not feel it, and my last memory would be joy and happiness and love and mirth.

And I'd go out with a laugh.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

People would die by my own hand. I'd let my second personality come out and wreck havoc for the last two weeks. And they would deserve it oh so wholeheartedly.

Plus, there are a few people who's world I'd rock because I'd like to not worry about consequences.
                          "Time shall help me face my painful memories with indifference, and with more of it, I won't feel the need to face them at all..."

Comment

Funny you should mention that last bit, Jester, because from the time I concieved this project I've had an idea for one of my characters to decide to spend the last day on the roof of his apartment building in a lawn chair with a case of beer and the last scene in the book is him cracking open a fresh brew just before he gets to see the asteroid come burning across the sky.

I'm really not sure what I'd do, probably stock up on alcohol and food stuffs, round up my pack and find somehwere outside of the city to kick back. I'd probably drop into TheCallCenter since it's down the street from my parent's house, but only to trash the phone lines and server so any poor saps that might still be working would get the picture and enjoy their last days.
                            a firearm might become neccesary if only for self defense, but the main point of getting out of the city is not needing it. I'd probably be looking for the massive bonfire party that's sure to be going on somewhere
                            as far as unresolved issues, there's 3 people that I'd lay a hurtin' on if I could find them, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do it
                            "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

I'm thinking about two Jimmy Buffett songs. "Everybody's on the Phone" and "Party at the End of the World". I know the latter's about Tierra del Fuego but it resonates.

I'm also thinking about Billy Joel's "I Saw the Lights Go Out on Broadway".

The end of the world is a horrible thing to consider but, if it came to that, I think I'd just continue to live as we have. I'd eat the best food we could get, drink the best wine we could and listen to the best music we have.

Work wouldn't matter any more. Neither would catching up on my reading because the end is the end.

Are there places I'd like to see before I die? Certainly, there are but it won't really matter. Once everything's over I be there to remember them.
                              Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

Working...
                              X