This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trek XI (The Spoilery Thread!)

Warning: Unlike the other two Star Trek threads this one will not be spoiler free. If you have not seen the movie yet please stop reading now!!! Thank you.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

Well ok lets get this out of the way. I this movie. It was awesome! And nothing pissed me off...at all. They stayed true to the red shirt gag (I so saw that coming), the pan over the Enterprise made me Squee. The nicely played one liners from Scotty, Bones, and other characters (ie. "I'm giving her all I've got Captin!") were awesome and hilarios in some cases. The Vis FX were AMAZING! Seriously the shot of that city on Vulcan (and the shot of Vulcan it self) were stunning are very realistic. No really those building actually looked like real buildings being shot by a camera.

I also liked the fact that a time travel Star Trek story didn't try to fix the past and go back and save Kirk's father and all that. Nice to see they didn't go down the typical time travel story and actually just let the Alternate timeline go on as is. Very bold I must say, though I'm sure the purists didn't like it.

Now the bad. I did think that Nero coming back in time at the exact moment Kirk's dad was in the area, and Kirk and Old Spock ending up at the same cave seemed very coincidental but I can look past them.

And I'm torn on the whole Vulcan being destroyed thing. I wasn't expecting that and I'm kinda mad and kinda ok with it too. I have mixed feelings. But it was unexpected and very bold and it did work, and I can live with it.

All in all I look forward to seeing this over and over and again (inlike Wolverine which I doubt I'll ever watch again) and of course the sequel that I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing. Live long and prosper!

personal opinion... I agree with the Onion... the purists are upset that Abrams has suceeded in creating something that is true to Star Trek yet can be enjoyed by everyone, even someone who has never seen Star Trek.

And I loved the time travel thing... it is so refreshing for them to be able to create a new alternate reality and be able to say to hell with the old continuity.

And yes, I too saw the red shirt guy getting killed thing... I was kinda disappointed that it was because of his own stupidity... I was hoping for a genuine red shirt killing

This is definitely one of those movies worth the cost of imax... if it does not take more power to show it once than my condo uses in a year, it isn't being displayed properly
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I am a Trekkie.......and I LOVED this loved this movie!!!!!

Granted, I Picard-face-planted when Spock mentioned the alt-time line, though that really is the only way this movie could have been done.

The actor to play out beloved doctor was spot-on. Amazing acting all around.

Though, Spock and Uhura? Really? Meh....I'll let that one pass.

Will go see again in a few weeks, now I'll just pop into some message boards and read other's reviews, hahaha
      "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
      "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

It was an awesome movie, though I didn't like the whole Spock/Uhura thing. Where exactly did that come from? It seems like it just came out of left field.
        DS Andy Cartwright: Everyone and their mums is packin’ round here!
        Nicholas Angel: Like who?
        DS Andy Wainwright: Farmers.
        Nicholas Angel: Who else?
        DS Andy Cartwright: Farmers’ mums.

Comment

ive never watched anything star trek before but i saw the movie last nite, i thought it was really good

Comment

Yeah the Spock/Uhura thing threw me off too, but meh whatever. I can live with it I guess.

Comment

Me and my Dad went and saw the movie tonight. Both of us are Trek fans and both of us really enjoyed the movie.

We both agree with everyone else on the Spock/Uhura pairing as being odd. Otherwise the movie was really well done. We both particularly liked the scene when Kirk and Scotty get beamed aboard the Enterprise and Scotty ends up in the water pipeline.

Overall I think it was really well done and I think the alternate time line theory was very bold but the way they presented the story really made it work. As a Trek fan, and lover of all things Sci Fi I think it rocked. More so because this leaves them free to do whatever they want.

Comment

I really enjoyed it too! It had flaws (most pointed out to me by Husband, though he liked the movie overall). Dr. McCoy is my favorite and I thought Karl Urban was great in the role.

The lens flares were killing me though. Did anyone else notice them? I mean, OK, the future is bright and shiny and clean but good God! It looked like Amateur Camera Work Hour sometimes.
                https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

i still maintain that if you really look at it the subtle changes still work to much of the original mythology except for Vulcan...., and i love uhura and spock!!!

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                    i still maintain that if you really look at it the subtle changes still work to much of the original mythology except for Vulcan...., and i love uhura and spock!!!
                    Yeah the Vulcan thing does screw up a lot of the canon of the last 45 years, but I'm interested in how much that'll change things.

Comment

Speaking of Vulcan and time travel... I'm just glad they didn't try to go back in time to stop it... and I pray that Abrams is smart enough to not go there in the future... time travel has been done to death... it worked in this movie to do the job of erasing star trek canon so we can start anew... but please don't bludgen us with it again
                      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I enjoyed the movie greatly. I sort of wish Vulcan wasn't wiped out and I don't like the implication that Abrams did it so he could wipe things clean. Look, I'm a Trekkie and now for the rest of my life I'm going to have to deal with people asking, "Oh, gee does it count? Alternate universe!"

I don't like alternate universe crap in anything sci-fi much these days (Star Trek/Stargate has done far too many episodes on it), but loooooved the movie.

Spock/Uhura was weird, but I'm cool with it.

My love for Bones has increased tenfold. Urban did a spot on job with the role. I liked the small mention of Nurse Chaplin and all the other little things to pay homage to the series. Anyhow, I can provide a better review/thoughts tomorrow (today?) after I've slept. I just got home from watching it. Whew.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                          Speaking of Vulcan and time travel... I'm just glad they didn't try to go back in time to stop it... and I pray that Abrams is smart enough to not go there in the future... time travel has been done to death... it worked in this movie to do the job of erasing star trek canon so we can start anew... but please don't bludgen us with it again
                          Agreed! The not fixing the timeline thing was a good move. But they should stop with the time travel at this point. It's been done enough on Trek already, please stop! This isn't Doctor Who.

Comment

I saw this yesterday with friends. I should point out that I am not a Trekkie, though I was a fan of TNG.

That being said, I thought this was a good movie, though I could see why some Trekkies would be pissed, and there were some things that just irritated the piss out of me.

First of all, while I enjoyed this film, I really think they could have done a great "origins" film without the time travel bullshit.

Secondly, the entire crew coming together at once? A bit of a stretch. What, you can't involve more ships than just the Enterprise?

Thirdly, if Starfleet is so regimented and protocolled, how is their chain of command so damn loose? Okay, perhaps a young Vulcan could be first officer, if he were really brilliant. Fine. I can even go with Pike naming Kirk first officer while Spock was acting captain, though that is pushing it. I mean, didn't he have any other officers on board he trusted worth a damn? But the part that just defied credulity was how Kirk assumed the captaincy. Spock has sent Kirk to the brig, then marooned him (another bone to pick, see below). So in essence, Acting Captain Spock has stripped Kirk or his status on the ship. Kirk illegally re-boards the Enterprise, and when he pushes Spock to the point of recusing himself from command, suddenly HE assumes command? "Great, now we have no captain and no first officer." What, there's no third in command to assume command? Speaking of loose chain of command, at one point CHEKOV is left "with the Com," i.e., in charge of the bridge and presumably the ship, but Chekov, however brilliant, is a 17 year old bloody ENSIGN. Really? REALLY?

Now, about the aforementioned marooning. Spock is both logical and a virtual slave to protocol. When he went over the edge, he didn't need anyone to tell him of the regulation that a captain who has become emotionally compromised needs to step down. He knew it without being prompted. So how could this slave to protocol, this ultra-logical being, justify marooning his first officer on a nearby planet? Brig, sure. That is logical. Marooning? Not even close.

Don't get me wrong, I liked this movie, thought it was well done, and thought that Bones and Scotty stole the show. Spock and Uhura? Don't see it, but whatever.....it's the past, why not? Good movie. BAD Star Trek movie. If that makes sense.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

I thought just the opposite, Jester.

This was a good movie, PERFECT star trek movie. The reason I thought that is because it respected the old cannon while simultaneously making it approachable to non-fans.

The problem with the purists is that they have half a century's worth of convoluted backstory they want respected that never made the jump into the new generation of fans. TNG made a good stab at it, but it's success rate with the younger folk who were going to be the audience once their fathers numbers started dwindling was low. Purists cannot stand to see anything changed and for that reason anyone who was born after all this history began being written just isn't invited because it's too much to absorb at once. The time travel issue was the only way to both say 'OK, it's ST, we're not disrespecting that' and also create a blank slate so a new generation of fans can come to the party. Also, the master stroke for me was that it wasn't controlled time travel, it was accidental, and therefore no option existed to even try to "fix" things.

Also, while Spock did maroon his First Officer, he did not officially strip him of his title, and unless someone wanted to call out Kirk, who, let's face it, was volunteering to fill a set of shoes that intimidated the hell out of everyone else, he could reasonably get away with it.
                              "Darling, you are a bitch. I'm joining the Navy." -Cinema Guy 4/30/2009

Comment

Working...
                              X