This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• industrial

Ok everyone, I need some assistance, advice and answers. My 13 year old daughter wants an industrial ear piercing. While I don't have a problem with the concept, I think she is too young. She already has one nose piercing and 3 sets on her ears already. I don't even want to discuss this until she is 14, but she won't let it die, so today I told her I would set up a poll here today to get all of your opinions. She thinks I am over protective and not letting her express herself. I think I am preserving her skin and have allowed her enough expression for the moment. What do you think?
    No they are disgusting
    12.00%
    Yes she should be allowed to have as many holes in her head as she wants
    6.00%
    She should wait until she is older
    42.00%
    Your the mom you decide.
    40.00%
    Last edited by tamezin; 05-20-2009, 11:34 PM.
    Tamezin

I wanted my eyebrow pierced as a teenager my Mum told me I could, when she didnt have to sign a permisson slip anymore (I was 16 when I got it). Oh and I had to pay for it myself.

My school made me take it out the first day back...so I wasted $80 for nothing. She should check if her school even allowes piercings like that.
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

I have an industrial--it hurt like a bitch and can get infected really easily; especially if she has long hair that can get wrapped around it.
      It's not a bad peircing, at all, but I think the bottom line is you said to wait until she was 14 and she needs to respect that.

Comment

I got my industrial when I was eighteen, and it was the most painful piercing I've gotten. It healed well, but there are many complications involved with it and double the chance for infection, because it's essentially two piercings. I found it very hard to sleep on, it was difficult to talk on the phone with that ear, I got three infections per hole in the time that it was healing, and all three were very painful and pus-y.

I don't regret getting it, I love it now, but there is no way I could have had it in high school. I think she is too young to get it. And I'm only 20 now.

Comment

She's 13. You're her mom. You get to decide what kinds of holes she puts in herself and how many. I'd say, yes, she's too young. Hell, I'd say she was too young for a nose ring. But, I'm pretty conservative about that kind of stuff.
          "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
          Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
            She's 13. You're her mom. You get to decide what kinds of holes she puts in herself and how many. I'd say, yes, she's too young. Hell, I'd say she was too young for a nose ring. But, I'm pretty conservative about that kind of stuff.
            I actually agree, her Dad signed off on that one. I said she would have to wait until she was sixteen, but she has Dad wrapped around her little finger.
            Tamezin

Comment

I had to look up industrial piercings.

I think you've allowed her to express herself a lot, a lot more than I would have! The decision is ultimately up to you. If you say no, and if she still wants it when she is of age, then that would be the time for it.

Whatever you decide to tell her, you should present her with the testimonials posted here- about the infections and the pain. She needs to be completely informed before doing something like that.
              https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I personally don't like the the looks of the them, so I wouldn't suggest getting one. But if she really wants one, and you don't want her to, she can wait until she's old enough to get one herself.
                "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

I think for the age of 13 she has more than enough self expression going on..and this is coming from me, who is FARRRR from conservative or prudish.

So, tell her Amina516 says WAIT!

Comment

Honestly, I don't really understand why she's been allowed to get what she has already, then again, I'm going to be the hyper-conservative parent who tells any female offspring that they can wait until they have the cash and are of age to get any holes they want put in themselves themselves.

Plus out of all the ear jewelry I've seen, industrial have got to be the stupidest looking, and they've got a good deal of competition for that, in my humble opinion, of course.
                    "Darling, you are a bitch. I'm joining the Navy." -Cinema Guy 4/30/2009

Comment

I don't know why it's up for debate. You said no, it's a no. End of story.
                      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

That looks like it could be injured really easily, and infection would be miserable to deal with.

That's a lot to take care of for a kid so young, and a lot that can go wrong.

I had a second set of normal piercings and reacted badly to the studs, cheaper than the ones used for my first piercing. They got infected super easily and it hurt like the devil, and we're just talking the boring ones a little above the normal site.

All of that aside, you said no.
                        "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                        - H. Beam Piper

Comment

I saw a picture of that kind of piercing on Wikipedia and I cringed. It looks very painful and the jewelry looks like it could easily get tangled up in long hair.

But then again I've never been into body modification anyhow.

Then I looked at some of the genital piercings and...

Go figure, I've looked up penis piercings and C4 plastic explosive tonight. That would blow a few circuits if anybody were spying on my Internetz activities.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                            Then I looked at some of the genital piercings
                            I did, too.

Owwwwwwwww.
                            "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                            Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

From a teenager's point of view, you have been more than fair. I only have two piercings, one in each ear. That's all that I can get until I turn 18 next week.

What I think you should do (but this is just me) is you should tell her that once she gets a job and can pay for it herself, then she can get it.

I wanted all sorts of piercings. Once I got a job where I currently work, I saw no need for those and I would have had to take them out anyways and waste money. It would be awful hard for anyone to take her seriously when going in for her first job, with a bunch of piercings.

I just realized, your daughter is only 4 years younger than me. She's around my sister's age!
                              "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Comment

Working...
                              X