Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job interview question (shoe question)

OK... so even though I work for myself, with the economy I've had to look for another job for constant income (long story.... very....long....story....).

But now I've got a small problem.... Other than having to buy pants (I have some pants, but they don't fit -- wasn't able to leave the house for 8/12 months)..... I don't have any dress shoes.

Now that in itself isn't a bad thing some would say -- but I also can't wear dress shoes because I've never had any that fit. My toes are "messed up" compared to normal toes, so within an hour of having loose toe-fitting dress shoes on (or about 100 steps) I have small blisters on 8/10 toes. Get snug ("proper shoe size") fitting, and my toes are numb within a few minutes and changing color. Get ones that don't blister my toes or make them go numb, and I walk out of the shoes (they're about 2 sizes or about 2 inches too long).

Dress shoes just aren't made right for my feet, and I even have a similar problem with some walking/running shoes too (so it's an actual design issue).

So I was wondering, if someone was wearing a dress shirt, dress pants (basically business casual stuff), what would you recommend with the shoe thing? Wear what won't cause problems (walking/running shoes) and explain why -- or stuff feet into shoes that will cause pain and injury so it looks better?

As a note: the job's for a SASS Case Manager (screening and assessment services) -- where the people I'll be talking to are HR/Psychologists/Social Services people who will pick up on things -- and I'll be analyzed from a psychological standpoint so everything, and why, will be used for/against me.

are you male? sorry its hard to dechiper over the internet

if so id recommend sneakers/shoes that are comfortable that could pass for dressy...ie all black sneakers that dont have a huge Nike stamp across them

Comment

Quoth artifical sweetner View Post
      are you male? sorry its hard to dechiper over the internet

if so id recommend sneakers/shoes that are comfortable that could pass for dressy...ie all black sneakers that dont have a huge Nike stamp across them
      Oh yeah, male sorry

Comment

Can you bring the shoes and change right before you go in so you're only wearing them for the actual interview?

If that's not feasible, I would go with the black sneakers, possibly with black pants to make them even less noticeable.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I am currently wearing a pair of black Dr. Scholls shoes. They are basically black running (atheltic / trainers / whatever) that are styled a bit more like dress shoes.

For me, with a decent pair of pants, sports jacket, and they are fine for interviews for most of the jobs I would ever want. (Throw on a tie and I almost look respectable.)
          There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Have you tried a wide version of dress shoes? It sounds like that might help your issue.

Comment

For what it's worth I've applied for jobs wearing my Z-Coils and have gotten jobs anyway in medical and tech fields.

Comment

Quoth Anriana View Post
                Have you tried a wide version of dress shoes? It sounds like that might help your issue.
                The problem for me (well I do need wide shoes all the time anyway), but it's in the height of the toe area.

Comment

Where do you live? Here in the Pacific NW I don't think I've seen men in dress shoes at interviews at least not in the group interviews I've been to.
                  What are you going to wear on regular work days?
                  Like someone else suggested - clean plain black sneakers (if those are comfortable for you) that are in good condition should be fine. But again, I live in a pretty casual town and I doubt most of the guys I know even have dress shoes.

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
                    you going to wear on regular work days?

I don't even know -- that in itself could be helpful to know, but as they only gave their address and job title (no other info), haven't a clue.

If the people using the services dictated the dress code, bluejeans and a knit shirt would make the employees look dressed up in comparison. Not meaning anything bad about the people -- we're just in a farming and industry community in the midwest (dirty jobs basically), so people don't frequently dress up to go places.

Comment

Unless you would have to wear closed-toed shoes for safety reasons I'd go the sock and Tevek* route - lots of office guys do that around here. Though I don't know if they would be long enough for you - you might have to get a size or 2 bigger, but bonus is the straps are adjustable so you wouldn't "walk out" of them like hard shoes.

*at least that is what I think the brand name is - they are good quality sandals found in stores like REI and other places where you would find hiking shoes.

Comment

Have you thought of maybe a comfortable pair of loafers? My uncle is constantly in those things and he says they're one of the most comfortable shoes he's ever worn... I don't know if that helps, but maybe that instead of a lace up dress shoe?

Comment

First, a plug for the only place I can find shoes that fit: www.wideshoes.com

Second, if you need to look a little more formal than sneakers, but you still need comfy shoes with lots of toe room, you may want to try safety oxfords (oxford style shoes with a toe cap). The toe cap insures that you have wiggle room, and since the shoes are basically work boots in disguise, they tend to be heavily padded and able to take a lot of abuse.

As a point of reference for you, I wear size 12 in a 6E width

Comment

Quoth JLRodgers View Post

So I was wondering, if someone was wearing a dress shirt, dress pants (basically business casual stuff), what would you recommend with the shoe thing? Wear what won't cause problems (walking/running shoes) and explain why -- or stuff feet into shoes that will cause pain and injury so it looks better?
                            OH hell no don't ever wear shoes that cause pain an injury for the sake of LOOKING better......comfort and being pain free are way more important.
                            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Have you ever looked into getting a good shoe form to make your shoes fit better?

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X