This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLEASE NOTE

I extended the deadlines for both signing up and opting out. I thought about it, and I'm used to cutting off in mid October so that I'd have to compile the list by hand, but now that I don't have to do that there's no reason *not* to push it back.

Plus, I just cannot fathom the idea of getting a Christmas card from one of you guys on or before Halloween. That would just be nuts.

NEW CUT OFF DATE
    October 25
    NEW OPT OUT DATE
    October 31
    "This is the first time I've seen you look ugly, and that makes me happy!"

Comment

• Reminder: Only 42 days remain to sign up for the 2009 Christmas Card List event!

So far, Ree, JuniorMintz, Setsunaela, Becks, FuzzyKitten99, AriGriffin, Monica, taxguykarl, Boggles, Pedersen, iradney, bookworm, ArcticChicken, McGoddess09, JoitheArtist, BookstoreEscapee, Aethian, I8DaCookie, Bandit, ParkingWitch, DGoddessChardonnay, worddork, AdminAssistant, Irving Patrick Freleigh, cinema guy, Camry178, SteverinoNY, BlaqueKatt, EricKei, DesignFox, calulu, Plaidman, MadMike, Part-Time Parrothead, 42_42_42, SubwayGirl, technical.angel, Bella_Vixen, Evil Queen has joined.
      Automated Poster for the Pep Squad!

PM BookstoreEscapee, Pedersen, or one of the mods. I'm not real!

Comment

• I almost missed the 'sign up' link to be honest, tiny text! can we make it a big fat red button next year?

ETA: Signed up!

I already am preparing my cards and such... I use Open Office and cheat and print all the addresses. I am pondering ways to easily tell at a glance which one is going overseas, to the US, ot to Canada for faster sorting at the PO (last year, two of the counter ladies helped me sort and apply stamps. Good thing it was slow!)

It was lots of fun. this years' gag should get some smiles.
        Last edited by Horsetuna; 09-13-2009, 05:23 AM.
        Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

• Quoth Horsetuna View Post
          I almost missed the 'sign up' link to be honest, tiny text! can we make it a big fat red button next year?

Juniormintz put the signup link in the post 5 times. She had it once at the beginning, and then 4 times at the bottom.
          At the time, I thought it was overkill, but apparently not.
          I am pondering ways to easily tell at a glance which one is going overseas, to the US, ot to Canada for faster sorting at the PO (last year, two of the counter ladies helped me sort and apply stamps. Good thing it was slow!)
          Well, when Juniormintz sent the list last year, she had it sorted by country, so I don't know why that was a problem.
          As I addressed them, I used elastics and put them in bundles by country.
          Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

• Ree: when i click on that link in the first post, I get taken to a list in tiny font:

2009 Christmas Card List Tally up! View Tallies
            Thread: 2009 Christmas Card List-Sign Ups Open
            Opt-outs close: 2009-10-31

I didnt see the sign Up Link at first at the bottom of the list

I know this is still a WIP though so this is just a suggestion for next year is put THAT little link as a big red button
            Last edited by Horsetuna; 09-13-2009, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• I could see the font just fine when I went to sign up...

Getting so excited now - but I think I'll only be able to buy cards in October...
              The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

• Quoth Horsetuna View Post
                Ree: when i click on that link in the first post, I get taken to a list in tiny font:
                One of the defaults (that I don't think I altered) from the toolkit I used was to use a 12 pixel font. Considering my screen is at 1680x1050, and it doesn't actually look small on my screen, I'd say that your screen must be fairly high resolution.

Quoth Horsetuna View Post
                I know this is still a WIP though so this is just a suggestion for next year is put THAT little link as a big red button
                There's a few small changes to make, and this is one of them. Basically, I've found out that, even though the tool is usable, the links can (and should) be better. I'm not going to change the system while it's in use, since that is a recipe for disaster, but I'll have a good 7 months next year to do these sorts of minor tweaks.

Quoth Horsetuna View Post
                I already am preparing my cards and such... I use Open Office and cheat and print all the addresses. I am pondering ways to easily tell at a glance which one is going overseas, to the US, ot to Canada for faster sorting at the PO (last year, two of the counter ladies helped me sort and apply stamps. Good thing it was slow!)
                Well, it won't be cheating or necessary to do that this year. You're going to get a PDF with all the addresses formatted to fit on an Avery 8160 label sheet. Stick a few of those into your printer, and go to town

As for sorting by country, that's actually a good idea. Let me see if I can implement that safely before the list goes out.

Comment

• Quoth Pedersen View Post
                  As for sorting by country, that's actually a good idea. Let me see if I can implement that safely before the list goes out.
                  I did that last year, too. Just don't do what I did and stick US stamps on the non-US cards. I bought enough stamps for all the US cards (with some extras that I was going to use for my college friends' cards), and I was just going to take the rest to the post office. Well, the Canadadada cards were on top and I wasn't paying attention and realized too late that I had put regular stamps on all of 'em . Which meant a) the woman at the post office had to figure out the balance and print stickers for them all (separately) - she was not too happy - and b) I didn't have holiday stamps for my college friends .
                  Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 09-13-2009, 05:40 PM. Reason: to...too...is there really a difference?
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

• errr, will non pdf versions (text only) be available? I print it all right on the envelopes as I can print my own return address that way in one go!

But if not, that's ok. I can manage.

Comment

• We can't do *everything*, you realize that right? I think you're just going to have to muddle through and take care of the return addresses on your own. I am confidant you will manage.

I'm hoping that everyone will take comfort in the fact that just about everything else that we could think of *has* been provided for you, including postal links for just about every country I can remember with participating members, the afore mentioned labels, and the tally up feature.

Pedersen...

Comment

• I'm sure there are two people at least that don't want me to know where they live, let alone not tell me where they live. Is it ok? I give them permision not to send me cards, and since they don't want cards from me, I wont send them ones.
                        Military Spouse Support.
                        http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                        Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

• Plaidman, I think there was something about it last year. The rule still state that you must give everyone cards.
                          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

• Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                            Plaidman, I think there was something about it last year. The rule still state that you must give everyone cards.
                            I don't want to force them to give me card when they have no want too.
                            Military Spouse Support.
                            http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                            Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

• Plaidman, PM me the details and I'll discuss the situation with the mods. If there is a mutual agreement between you and the member in question, that's worth considering.

EvilQueen is right though, the rules do specifically state that you must send a card to everyone.

Another thing to consider is that there is NO way for me to filter out anyone's addresses. When the list is done, it's done. IF YOU SIGN UP, YOUR ADDRESS WILL GO TO *EVERY* MEMBER ON THE LIST. PLEASE consider this before signing up!
                              Last edited by JuniorMintz; 09-14-2009, 01:06 AM.

Comment

• Hey, I just bought a house. I'm still screaming my new address from my roof at the top of my lungs!!
                                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Working...
                                X