This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Can Has Rescued Beagle!

Yes, finally! In my last post in this section I talked about how we would be rescuing this beagle with unique fur color and how good he is with kids and older dog and blah blah blah blah blah. Well...we ended up not getting that boy because his adoption fee was too much.

We visited our local Animal Rescue League, hoping to look at two dogs, a Min pin/Basenji mix.. and a beagle. We weren't expecting to find our dog there, but we did.

This, folks, is J.J., soon to be renamed Antoine because my mother INSISTS "Oh, he must have a fancy French name like all the other dogs!" An unhousebroken, untrained, strong puller on a leash, loveable, people person of a dog. This isn't the sort of dignified, standoffish, quiet, yet MEAN old cuss of a dog that Charlemagne was, no sir. Charlemagne was the type of dog that if you crossed him he would bite you to death; J.J will just crawl in your lap and lick you to death.

(All pictures: click to enlarge and excuse the poor photography)

And as you can see, he's made himself at home already on the couch.

Just to show you how MUCH he's made himself at home on the couch.

A few more shots of him sleeping:

And these are a couple shots of him looking at the rosaries on my headboard a bit funny, because they move and clank. I had forgotten that, Sally and Charlemagne were so not bothered because they grew up with it; this guy hasn't.

And this is just him taking over my bed. Spoiled damn dog already, and hasn't been home a day yet! (Plz to ignore the clothes on it kthx.)

His tail actually curves a little at the end, which is awesome and I've never seen that in any of the beagles we've had, except for Charlemagne and his only curved slightly. This boy has got a LOT of AKC registed hunting stock in him, so the curved tail makes sense-it allows the dog to hold it higher so the hunters would be able to see it in the underbrush. Same with the white tip-white's hard to camoflauge against the ground.

But you probably think "Tsk, messy, untrained, housebroken beagle? Is he noisy, does he tear up the yard, do all sorts of bad things?" Not at all. You would think so but he's just such an incredibly good boy. Polite, quiet, LOVES YOU when you walk in, will lick you to death. And NOT a barker. I think I only heard his bark once, and that was at the League when we were meeting him for the first time. He came to the league because his owners picked him off of Craigslist, found that he hated their infant, tore the house to shreds, barked up a storm and liked to run away and so they threw him in the league after ONE DAY.

This dog, tear up the house and bark? Not a chance. He's such a sweet and loving dog. Everyone here LOVES HIM already, and how can you not? He's got beauty and brains and love rolled up into one package. He did this thing where he kept his back legs on the bed, put his front legs on my knees and therefore had perfect access to my face to lick and sniff as he choosed. I didn't let him lick me since I don't like being licked.

But there you have it, our new dog.

(and also, sorry, but only the last image got tagged and named and everything because photobucket decided it would be a good idea to crap out on me. =/)
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

He's a cute little guy. Congrats!
    I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

I want a big furry goggie.
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

And he's actually BIG for a beagle. Well, we're used to the 13 inch beagles, delicate paws, thick, medium fur that's easy to pet, finer boned. J.J./ Antoine is this big old HULK compared to Charlemagne. HUGE Basset hound paws, long Basset Hound body, thick chunky snout and rough, low shed fur. Makes me sort of wish he and Sally weren't fixed-the rough coated gene is extinct since it's been absorbed into much of the beagle bloodline. He has it, and Sally has a very thin, very fine, beautifully soft, shiny and low shed coat. I wonder what sort of coat their puppies would have had.

Low shed coats make me happy since the regular beagle coat activates my allergies something fierce. Not to say I've not been sneezing and itching and gasping for breath-this guy has been shedding like a maniac due to stress and still activating my allergies. =/ I'm getting treatment for it, though, and it's already helped.

Of course, with my allergies, he HAS to sleep on my bed! Sally and Charlemagne hated sleeping with me because I would twist and turn and hog the covers and they would get up, stretch, act all offended and jump off. Oh no. He's got weight sufficient enough to force me to sleep around him and the audacity to stretch over the entire bed and then when I would take up his place, he would get up, turn around and plop himself back into place over my legs. He did learn real quick that the pillow is not his, though, since I picked him up and plopped him at the foot. He looked up at me like, "Huh? Whatchoo do that for? I was comfy!"
        Last edited by ralerin; 09-19-2009, 01:09 PM.
        Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Congratz! it's always great to get an animal from a rescue or shelter (expecially if you're looking for just a "pet" and don't care about pedigrees etc..). - so many are deserving of a second chance.
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Congrats on the furry friend! Dogs rock!
            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

What a handsome boy! I love beagles~ So glad that you were able to get him after all Thank you for adopting from an animal shelter, too! *hug*
              !
              "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

He sure looks mighty comfy on that couch. I wanna curl up with him for a nap, too.
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

D'awww! He looks like a sweet boy.
                  I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Give him scritches from Me, he looks so happy to be there. Thanks for rescuing a critter from the pound - it feels great, donchaknow?

Cutenoob
                    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

What a lovely dog. Love those soft floppy ears!

on your new friend.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

^_^ He sends much love and kisses back to everyone. He's just such a lovely boy, quiet, sweet, polite.

He does love to jump, though, and his favorite place to jump on is the sewing machine because he can see more of the world. He also enjoys chocolate cake batter, which we found out by accident as mum left the unbaked cake out for 2 seconds and saw that he had his tongue in the dish, lapping it up.

He's a laugh riot.

Comment

Aw, how adorable. I love beagles. Very snoopy dogs who really do follow their noses. If food is within reach, they can and WILL get it. Just don't feed your beagle scraps off the table like my mom did or else you'll never have a quiet dinner again.
                          "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Working...
                          X