This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mites who Cause Mange...

...Are not anywhere near as popular or fun as the Knights who say, "Ni!" Let's just get that out in the open right now.

You're curious, surely, as to why this would be an issue and I'll tell you why it's an issue. I'm dealing with a mother of a case of scabies at the moment. As near as I can tell, scabies are the same kind of mites that cause mange in animals. I'm also told that they're a not uncommon std, but you can pick them up other ways as well. That's reassuring, as I can't even remember the last time I got it on with someone, and I hate to think my mind's going too.

Long story short, I got them and recognized them because I'd had them before, and back then they came gift-wrapped courtesy of a cheating boyfriend. Once I was fairly certain what they were, I went to an urgent care clinic and spent about two hundred dollars to be seen, diagnosed, and get prescriptions. I used the prescriptions. I washed all my bedclothes and most of my dirty clothes. Here, a little more than a week later, they're back.

I have a doctor's appointment scheduled for Tuesday, and it's been scheduled for months. It's just a lab (blood work), but I hope I'll be able to at least see a nurse while I'm there and maybe get another prescription for something or other. Last time I dealt with this, they gave me an insecticide lotion to smear all over my body. This time I got pills. Maybe that was the problem. Who knows?

Who knows also how thoroughly I'll have to clean up again? Some websites I've visited make it sound as though you wash your sheets and you're good to go. Others make it sound as though not only must you burn your house down (especially if you have carpeted floors), but you must make sure the ruins burn to a certain temperature or else the scabies mites will survive. And they will be very angry. And they will track you down.

My plan at the moment, assuming I can be seen and get medicine, is to ask whether I need to wash everything before or after using the medication. If possible, I'll borrow a friend's vacuum cleaner because mine is broken, or else I might just have to forget vacuuming and hope for the best. I intend to wash my sheets, comforter, mattress cover, and I plan to put my pillows in a garbage bag and forget about them for a few months, while I go out and buy a couple more. I intend to wash all my dirty clothes and all the towels I've used lately.

Will that be enough? Should I instead be thinking of how much kerosene it will take to make sure the entire apartment complex burns to the right temperature? Is there any point in hoping my roommates haven't got them too?

What the bloody hell do I do?
    Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 09-20-2009, 01:33 PM.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Hrmmm back when we had a flea/gnat infestation on a MASSIVE level we bug bombed the house and left for the day.(Interesting note: remember to SHUT OFF your smoke detectors) We also Black Flagged the whole house(really good insecticide. Dunno maybe you should try bug bombs or something. Also perhaps, since you live in an apartment complex, the little shits are migrating from elsewhere? Maybe try to find the source and put the hurt on?
    Last edited by Bramble; 09-20-2009, 01:39 PM. Reason: thought of something
    My Wajas cave

Comment

Quoth Bramble View Post
      Hrmmm back when we had a flea/gnat infestation on a MASSIVE level we bug bombed the house and left for the day.(Interesting note: remember to SHUT OFF your smoke detectors) We also Black Flagged the whole house(really good insecticide. Dunno maybe you should try bug bombs or something. Also perhaps, since you live in an apartment complex, the little shits are migrating from elsewhere? Maybe try to find the source and put the hurt on?
      A bug bomb probably wouldn't work because I have an aquarium.

Comment

So did we but we covered it up and turned it off. The fish were just fine afterwards.
        My Wajas cave

Comment

IIRC you have to have body contact to be infected. If you know that you haven't been together with anybody I think that it's just the dead mites under your skin itching. As I remember it itches a few weeks after the cure.
          Remember that anybody you are in close contact with can have been infected and can infect you back, you should take a cure at the same time, probably your roommates too.

Comment

The mites that cause mange in cats, dogs, and humans are three different types of mites. For example, when one of my puppies picked up mange from a kennel he got treated (on the Kennel's dime) and yes I did get the itching but since they can't reproduce in humans the suckers died and I cleared up rather quickly. (Thank the goddess.) So I wish you lucky, remember hot water wash EVERYTHING and take the lotion (a pesticide most likely) or pills (nother form of pesticide) till completely gone and to have your roomates checked as well. Have professionals come in to do the floors and seating items so that every trace of the eggs are gone or you will get reinfested.

Comment

Fork over the dough and get your carpets steam cleaned. You may even want to consider chucking your mattress... Ikea has a really comfy foam mattress that is pretty cheap. I bought one for my nephew. And yeah, get the roommates checked.
              "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

Mite update:

This morning I went to my doctor and got a tube of insecticide lotion. I came home and washed all my dirty clothes and all my bed linens. I put my pillows in a garbage bag and sealed it up, and went out and bought two new pillows. I put another sheet on the bed, stuffed the clean bedclothes in a garbage bag after they came out of the dryer, and vacuumed the whole house.

I managed to breach this topic with my roommates and they reacted surprisingly well to the news that we might all be filthy, disgusting, unwashed, diseased gutter trash.

After all this cleaning and breaching was over with, I showered and lotioned up.

My plan is to sit here smeared with insecticide for twelve hours, until about 8 am, at which time I'll strip this sheet off the bed, go shower and use a new towel to dry off, then take my clean sheets out of their bag and put them on the bed. Then I'll go to bed, sleep, go to work, and pass the next six or so days after that hoping that this entire mess is behind me.

However, the thing to really concentrate on right now is the fact that I'm sitting here, naked, smeared with insecticide. Really. This would be sad if it wasn't so ludicrous.

Wish me luck everyone!
                Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 09-23-2009, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
                  However, the thing to really concentrate on right now is the fact that I'm sitting here, naked, smeared with insecticide. Really. This would be sad if it wasn't so ludicrous.

Wish me luck everyone!
                  Good luck!
                  At least the stuff they use nowadays is relatively pleasant. First time I had scabies, in the mid seventies, the remedy was something called dixanthogen vaseline, it was thick, yellow and greasy, it stank of sulphur and you had to wait for 24 hours before you could wash . Oh, and it stained the sheets and clothes horribly.

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
                    Good luck!
                    At least the stuff they use nowadays is relatively pleasant. First time I had scabies, in the mid seventies, the remedy was something called dixanthogen vaseline, it was thick, yellow and greasy, it stank of sulphur and you had to wait for 24 hours before you could wash . Oh, and it stained the sheets and clothes horribly.
                    The 5% Permethrin, or whatever the hell it's called, is relatively pleasant, although I couldn't stand it anymore after about 9 hours and washed it off. You can leave it on between 8 and 14 hours, so I hope a little more than nine hours was enough. Now I'm itching like mad, however. I hope that itching is what it feels like after the little shits die.

Comment

Well, it's been about a week and guess what appears to be coming back...?

When I go for treatment, again, that will make the third time.

Goddamn fucking shit hell.

Not that I'm bitter.

Comment

*dons oven mits and gently scratches your itchy spots* Maybe a co-worker has them???
                        "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

Comment

Quoth NightWatch View Post
                          *dons oven mits and gently scratches your itchy spots* Maybe a co-worker has them???
                          It truly would not surprise me if someone at work had them. There are about three std's making the rounds there because the people there can't keep their hands off each other. According to my mother, who worked in a factory in the 1970's, it was much the same then. I've gotten to the point that I don't touch anybody at work and I sure as hell don't let them touch me, not even a friendly pat or a handshake or anything.

What's wild about what's going on with me is that I don't itch at all. I just see the rash keep coming back, complete with the dry-looking patches that result when the mites are, more or less, chewing their way out.

Comment

Ok, I'm sorry to cringe, but that grosses me out a little. I knew scabies were little buggie things and I knew it caused a sort of rash... but I didn't realize they chewed their way out of your flesh... I'm now itchy all over. But maybe you should notify your boss?? I bet if he does nothing at all you could then call the health department and they'd have a nice embarassing scan of everyone in the building a la elementary school lice hunt.

Is scabies a more common problem on the east coast?? Cuz way out here in my desert I've never heard of anyone having it.

Comment

According to the information I've found, scabies first got to be a major problem in Europe and the US in the 1960's, and peaked as a social disease in 1980. They've been on the wane ever since, but they're still quite common, with about 300 million people around the world dealing with the little shits currently.

They like cold, but not freezing, weather which might be a factor in them not being too prevalent out West. I dunno.

What I do know is that while I have no idea how I managed to catch them, I don't care if the people at work have their faces cave in from syphilis. I no longer get within touching distance of them, and I don't let them get near me. I'm just concentrated on getting this dealt with. I've actually gotten to the point that I can kind of sympathize with meth addicts -- they dig those imaginary cockroaches out of their cheeks because they don't like the thought of bugs under their skin any more than anyone else would.

Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to doing all my laundry again and settling down to another night smeared all over with a neurotoxic insecticide lotion. If all goes well, I'll be able to get the lotion on Wednesday and go through it all over again then.

Comment

Working...
                              X