This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Anyone Donate Plasma?

I have been considering it as a way of making extra cash. A lot of my coworkers do it, and they offered to bring me in the pamphlets they got when they first started doing it.

Since I'm over my fear of having blood drawn, and I feel that it'd be a really good way to help, I'd like some input before I go ahead and make the call.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

I did once after 9/11. Only hurt a little, and I felt alittle sick for a day. But other then that, not much. Takes a while though, and I think I got 50 bucks.
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

No, but only because I'm on the blackout list as a recipient.
      ludo ergo sum

Comment

Never gave plasma but I do donate blood on a regular basis and somtimes plateletts (I think that's it - takes about 30-45 minutes, they pump blood out, then in, then out, then in etc..)?
        Quote Dalesys:
        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I've sold plasma in two different locations. If you're going to do it, the first time you donate you need to get to the place as soon as they open (or be waiting before they open) and be prepared to spend **hours** there. You'll wait, get a physical, maybe pee in a cup, wait wait wait wait wait, then donate plasma, get your cash and leave. The actual donation process takes about 30 minutes if I remember right. Once you go through the first donation, it becomes MUCH less of a time sink (show up, wait a few minutes, mini medical check (temp, iron level, etc), donate, money, leave). If you go on a regular schedule you can make some good money. Generally you get good money for the first two times then you get a little bit each time with bonuses for doing it often.

Donating plasma/blood always makes me cold. Some people pass out so if you start seeing black tell the staff immediately. When donating plasma you'll be hooked up to a weird looking machine that takes your blood and returns everything but the plasma to you. It cycles between taking stuff out of you and returning it to you a few times throughout the donation. It kinda freaked me out at first but it's really not a big deal. You'll be a cheap drunk the night of your donation.

Donating blood is faster (I can even set up appointments online with our local place, and they come to work every quarter) but doesn't pay. I do it now because the plasma center is on the other side of town, but I might go back to plasma when I start school in the fall.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
          Last edited by trailerparkmedic; 05-28-2010, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Things I can't do:

Donate blood
            Donate bone marrow
            Donate plasma

Reason why? Gay.
            "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

I donated when I lived in SA. It was great. You could pick out a video and watch a movie at the end of the lounge chair while you were donating. Don't do it more than once a month, though.

It never occured to me about selling it! Wow, I woulda been rich!!
              Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

One coworker was telling me that the first time when you get your physical and whatnot to make sure you can donate will take a long time. He said that you can donate up to two times a week, and you can bring books or your laptop (free Wifi there) but you can't sleep while you're doing it, and it takes an hour or so.

Comment

Why not give it a shot! (Pun not really intended.)
                  Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Huh. I've thought about doing that; didn't know you got paid. It seems like if you're good to give blood, you're good for platelets, double red blood cells, and plasma. I might try it. I HATE needles, but donate whenever I can because hey, I might need blood someday!
                    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                      Things I can't do:

Donate blood
                      Donate bone marrow
                      Donate plasma

Reason why? Gay.
                      The Red Cross is actually reconsidering that decision. It was made back when HIV / AIDS was thought to be a homosexual disease (which we all know is very far from the truth today).

Many news stories on this recently. Here's one:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/boos...y-men-hiv.html

Hopefully they will lift it because I know some gay people who would love to donate on a regular basis.
                      Quote Dalesys:
                      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I did it for about 2 years when I was a poor college student some 30 odd years ago. had 104 sticks. not too bad and experience. the current money is way better than what I got.

one piece of advice. rotate the veins they use. do not use one and ONLY one vein. the scar tissue buildup may cause blockage or circulation problems in the future.
                        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

DataJager and I will be giving blood soon (two weeks) so I'll let ya know my experiances then.

He always gives double platelettes. This will be my first time giving blood without fainting (a couple years ago I was very thin and forced myself to gain the last 5 pounds needed to give blood. Bad idea, they really should up the minimum weight to 120).

Of course, last time I was stupid and didn't eat breakfast so that kinda didn't help either...
                          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

couple pieces of advice from a veteran donator...
                            • drink a TON of water a few days before hand, helped hydrate you and makes the donation faster
                            • eat no fatty/fried foods the night before that can effect your numbers they test when they take a sample of your blood and cause you not to donate that day.
                            • eat something before you donate, it will help the nasuea
                            • eat something AFTER you donate or you might get dizzy, sick, or even what happened to me once...pass out.

agreed with the rotate veins/arms. I have only one good vein in my right arm that they can stick and its annoying after a few months of donating twice a week cause of the pain that builds up in it.
                            It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

No fatty/fried foods? Ya'll suck.

Just playing.

I'm not sure about the vein thing, my coworker said they always used the same vein for him because it was the only one they could really get to "pop" out and get blood from without causing him major pain.

I'm still a little nervous too because I got really lucky that day at the clinic and had a real pro doing my blood draw. There are some people who really have no business shoving needles in people's arms, and I am somewhat scared I'll deal with one one day

Comment

Working...
                              X